1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Naruto fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Inert, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Baradine

Baradine Seventh Year

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/004/403/Girls.png

no.

No they're not.

2. Dn18

Dn18 Third Year

"Beter Left Unsaid" is solid as as is his DC hero story "Zero to Hero". I have been really enjoying that one.

3. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Mechanically, Kenchi is actually pretty decent; well above average, especially for fanfiction. His presentation leaves a lot to be desired however and he's not terribly good at differentiating his characters or giving them a unique voice, which pretty much always ends up making his main character come across as a thinly-veiled self-insert, even when he's not, and makes events kinda blur into a samey mess. It gets boring fairly quickly, because even when something entirely new comes up, it feels exactly the same as the last 30,000 words, and I, at least, find his main character archetype comes across as an insufferably arrogant jackass most of the time, even when he's explicitly not behaving as such.

It's certainly readable, especially if you've never read any of his stuff before, but it's not terribly exciting or engaging, and like Fudoutoku said, it would have greatly appealed to me back when I was young enough to let the pretty good action make up for that.

4. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Eh, Better Left Unsaid is great. Maybe not the best naruto fic, and definitely not up there with the 'True' Greats, but it's definitely one of his better fics and one of the better fics in the fandom. Especially for one that still updates. It has it's failings, but for the most part, it's been pretty original and I feel his usual problems with character voice aren't as present.

It also does a pretty good job of keeping Naruto as a badass, without making him super OP. And even as Naruto's gotten stronger, other things have just gone to hell, especially in regards to Orochimaru.

Also, the fact that it's Naruto/Ino, and not his usual Naruto/Harem, is a plus. The weakest part of the fic is actually how long it is, really, but even that isn't too off-putting to me.

For his other fics, they're not great. But they're not bad. The technical quality is high, as has been said, but the other parts just weigh it down. I'd give them, as a whole, a 3.5/5, because i at least still enjoy them.

5. Swirly Mango

Swirly Mango Seventh Year

Kenchi's technical quality is high? I'm sorry, the walls of exposition, the truly ridiculously great big bigass amounts of tautology, and his inability to finish a story? Atleast Robert Jordan had the decency to marry an editor. Kenchi uses writing as an outlet, not as an artform or science.

I could shit poetry about this, and it will be of the same quality, but Kenchi is not a great writer. Or even a good writer. He is just one among the masses who happens to write more than all of the fandom combined. Barring Three Fang (is that his name?) who falls into the same category as Kenchi.

6. Rache

Rache Headmaster

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/10724988/1/

Bad Apple: Well, found this little timewaster by chance. Naruto is way too OP, but the fic looked like it had potential for exciting future conflicts.

3/5 for being a decent time waster.

7. salts

salts Third Year

Don't understand the vitriol here. Heck, plenty of authors have their failings, and most of his stories feel like they will continue into perpetuity, but to fuck someone over for not finishing a work of fanfiction is messed up. Count the number of memorable stories that has been completed, Jbern's TLIL, Shezza's Denarian Trilogy, LT2000's etc. (I'm probably missing some).

Great writers. Fantastic writers. Writers.

I may not have read more than a few chapters of Kenchi's stories, but his technically competent style of writing and work-rate more than makes up him for him being a decent writer.

Man...

Let's see you shit poetry then.

Also, who the hell approaches writing fanfiction thinking that "fuck yeah, I'm writing art?! Science, bitch!"

The very obvious rational exception excluded...

8. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    People who like Kenichi's work are either the aforementioned thirteen year-olds, or are just desperate for something readable in the English language.

Given the shower of shit the fandom has become though, I don't blame them. I've found myself perilously close to going back to his stories - you know, when you're really bored and desperately looking for something new to read, but the only author that seems to update their work is megamatt...

Anyway, then I remember why I didn't like them in the first place.

9. Baradine

Baradine Seventh Year

He's a crap writer, but you contend that because he produces a lot of crap, instead of just a little bit, makes him better?

Aight.

10. Swirly Mango

Darn you language for being technical and allowing misunderstanding.

Here is an example of what I meant:

Kenchi618 wrote a tonne of crap,
    so here I am saying he was a load,
    excuse me if that came out a bit steamy,
    but I ain't in the habit of talking shit.*

*poetic license.

Eh, writing stories into infinity is a common thing. It doesn't make it good. Ask every single one of the author's you just mentioned, they will probably say the same.

I've read over 300k words of Kenchi's stories, probably more. I was younger then. Then I read another 100k. I was desperate then. I read another thousand. I said then, "Fuck this. I don't have time for this. He's a less than mediocre writer who has not improved after writing over a million words."

I just read the first few paragraphs of the last chapter of Great Clan Days. It's Tenten's POV. She's remarking about how Shino is roundabout. It took over a paragraph. I think it took over two, but that may be me skim reading. A straight forward character took forever to say a roundabout character was not straightforward.

People of the Internet, Kenchi is not a good writer. He still cannot separate character voice. He is still wordy as fuck. He has good ideas. And loads to back it up. That is all.

Edit: We want quality Naruto stories, not tolerable Naruto stories, which is why I mention stories going into infinity is bad. It it not a great annoyance, but it is still an annoyance.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  11. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I quite like this. Yeah, Naruto's seriously OP, but it fits the guilty pleasure category very well. 3.5/5.

As for those who want to know what the fic is like, Naruto gains a power to drain people he touches, gaining their full knowledge, chakra, power and so on. They die but live on inside Naruto, and can be summoned as special OP clones at full power. Dark!Naruto, gets along with Kyuubi.

It's a decent curbstomp with a potentially interesting setting.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been reading through Will of Foxfire. It's decent, but nothing special. Good as a timewaster. Its main problem is that whenever there's a secret it gets revealed basically the chapter after it was discovered. The only plot that really gets any long term screen time is Naruto's heritage, but then it gets revealed in the least appreciable way possible, which leads the way for the author to continue his mild Uchiha bashing.

It's technically well written, but the prose is wooden as hell. There are interesting plot points, but they're resolved too quickly for any sense of tension to build up. The characters are human (or demonic) enough to be entertaining, but some of the logical consequences of growing up in a demon hunter village aren't explored at all (Naruto's generation seem oddly accepting of a half-werewolf being in their midst, for example).

All in all it's good if you've got nothing else to read, but it's not going to blow your mind like Dancing with Demons or anything like that. A solid 3/5, but it'd need a lot of improvement to give it more.

13. Fudoutoku

Fudoutoku Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Not sure if this got missed in the Kenchi shitstorm I started, but Not Sick updated

14. fire

fire Order Member

While I agree with you that Kenichi is a poor writer, whose stuff is painful to read, I think you're being a little glib here. A story's value isn't additive in this way.

Just because a story is poor, it doesn't mean that the overall reading experience isn't improved from having more of it (i.e. having a complete story, or a sufficient long story that covers a good number of arcs).

Because in the latter scenario, at least the story isn't cut off half-way, with character storylines and plot events and developing themes just left hanging.

To make a comparison - Twilight is horseshit, but it would be worse if the story just randomly cut off halfway while Bella is speaking mid-sentence, as such -

"Oh Edward, please fill me -" THE END

15. Swirly Mango

But the thing is, your own story was amazing because it only had the climaxes of each arc, and you put a lot of effort into each little section. Of two equal pieces of writing, the one that is finished and/or longer is better. If the writing is bad though, you do not want to read it anyway. Kenchi's writing can be bettered if he just edited his own work before putting it up for the masses.

I wish we could have statistics of visits to Kenchi's works, to see if people just skip entire chapters.

16. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I'd rather read kenchi then like 80% of the shit mentioned in this thread which gets 3.5-4 stars.

17. salts

salts Third Year

Oh, no.

You can't do that. You can't take part of the sentence just so you could fit it in your argument. It totally takes things out of context, like so:

See?

Anyway, it's been well established that his stories have a YMMFV opinion. So, moving on because I don't think I have it in me to argue anymore.

I found this -- Gilded.

Unless Ricochet has you totally ruined, it might hold your attention. The premise is similar. There's nothing that really draws you in, unlike Ricochet with its dialogue, but it's still pretty well-written.

It's only 11k at the moment, and the end feels like it's coming soon.

3.5/5?

18. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Ha... No. I'd rather read loyalty than his shit.

19. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I think we can all agree to disagree about Kenchi's fics. That being said does anyone have any good time travel fics to recommend?

20. fire

fire Order Member

Here's an objective list of all the good Naruto time-travel stories (by objective I mean my opinion, of course):

(1) Time and Again, and its incomplete sequel, Here and Now

I consider this the best there is in the fandom, as far as time-travel stories go, and would give my left nut to see it completed.

The main problem with it, if you can call it that, is that it's somewhat dated - you might have some trouble reconciling the 2008-2009 assumptions of the story and the later revelations of the manga (e.g. Obito/Tobi).

(2) The Leaf's Naruto

Probably the best for the modern era of Naruto fanfiction, it's refreshingly unique in how it progresses (none of the Stations of the Canon problem, like rehashing Wave etc).

(3) Can't think of any. Would be open to anyone else's recommendations.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015