1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Mother of Learning by nobody103 - T - Original Fantasy

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Betosa, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because the loop would have just reset Zorian to being alive again if he wasn't a looper. If Red Robe/Damien realised that Zorian was the other looper than he wouldn't want to risk the Lich harming him.

2. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Also- another possibility I just thought of for why RR isn't helping the invasion any more:

The Lich seems to be high up in the whole thing, and expressed disdain for RR. Even said he intended to kill him on sight.

Perhaps the Lich actually did kill RR at the end of that particular restart, and it pissed RR off so much that he's abandoned them. Maybe he wasn't really a cultist/believer of the invasion in the first place, and was using his info in exchange for learning soul magic/necromancy.

Or. perhaps the Lich did something worse than killing him. Messed with his soul so bad he's unable to contribute anymore (though, not in that particular restart- as RR shows up at the very start of the next one))

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Your post prompted me to think differently about Red Robes. Is it possible that he's not a villain at all?

It was revealed a while ago that RR probably didn't soul-kill the aranea, but only booted them from the time loop instead [for interfering with his plans]. From that perspective, RR may be using the invasion for his own time loop shenanigans, such as learning soul magic like you suggested, and have no intention of letting the invasion succeed on the final loop.

4. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

This. IIRC When Lich+Red Robes+Vampire show up in that important loop, I believe the dialogue between Lich and RR suggested that RR was new to the Lich (i.e. showed up at the start of the loop, and then ingratiated himself via power/knowledge). Going further, This could mean that the invasion could literally be one big red herring and meant to draw the readers attention, but is ultimately not particularly important; it might not be the cause of the loop at all. That would mean that its really the Dragon cult (which is coinciding/using the Necro-invaders) and the primordial summoning which is the important thing, though that probably goes without saying..

The thing is that there has been absolutely no hint given about what will result in the loop finishing, other than some random aranea 'its not infinite, it will unravel eventually'.

5. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly, I've stopped with theories and predictions. At this point I don't want to predict something beforehand and ruin the surprise when it happens. Sure, it'd be nice confirmation, but I think it would also damage my enjoyment of the story if I was too accurate.

That said Xvim is a BOSS.

6. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

Yes it is possible. But I doubt it, and even if he isn't a bad guy, I doubt he will be on Zorian's side at any point in the story. The Matriarch's message included a bit about "only one can win this game." I think that at some point, Zorian, Zach, and RR are going to be fighting over who benefits from the time-loop.

7. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Would not surprise me if the Lich had been booted out of the loop thanks to Zorian.

If that happens, RR might have lost one of his main contacts which is why the invasions haven't been going as smooth.

8. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

It seems pretty clear that the Lich has not been part of the loop at all.
    He had no idea who/what Zach was in Zorian's first loop, despite the fact that Zach had clearly fought him many times in previous loops. And from his statements the next time we see him, Red Robes has been them information (which, in that particular loop, ended up being incorrect).

Anyways, here's a little bit I caught on a re-read, didn't notice before:

The context is, Haslush was the guy selected to investigate the rumors of telepathic spiders. By taking Zorian on as a student, he's also goign to stop investigating the spiders (which he doesn't want to do). He seems momentarily confused here- as though he actually could have time to do both, but has been manipulated by the Aranea into shirking his duties.

9. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Whilst the confusion thing is interesting, this is him thinking up an excuse to not pursue the spider case: of course he has time to do both, he just doesn't want to.

I can't imagine the Areana playing a hand here, especially given that there's no implication he has any more success when Zorian isn't there.

10. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I can't be the only one who wants Zorian to tell Xvim about the loop, just to read his reaction. It should be glorious.

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

"...and that's everything I learned about the loop," he finished his story. His mentor's face was as impassive as always. "Any advice?"

"How many loops you did?"

"Around fifty."

"Your skill certainly doesn't show it," he said and pointed at the marbles. "Start over."

12. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I meant that the Lich might be 'soul killed' like the mercenaries+arachnae. We didn't see any mention of the Lich in the last battle (chapter 40). There was some suspicion that Red Robe could enter/exit the loop via some other means. Maybe he's trying to bring back the lich? Maybe red robe was more injured than Zorian thought from the psychic scream?

13. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Oh, I definitely misunderstood.

Yeah- I suppose it's possible that when Zorian used Kael's coin to banish the Lich back to his phylactery, he may have ended up booting him outside of the loops (presumably, to the same space that the demons/angels/gods currently reside in, cut off from the material world)

Edit: Also an idea I had-
    Perhaps the "marker" on Zorian's soul has nothing to do with the loop. Maybe Red Robes actually did manage get ahold of his soul after Zorian's suicide attempt following their fight, and tagged him to keep track of what he's up to. Maybe the reason Kael missed it on his initial scan's isn't because it was too subtle- but instead because it literally wasn't there yet.

14. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

That is an interesting theory. But remember, the Lich only showed up in two of the battles. The very first one and the one with RR. Unless Zach is running around causing problems, or RR obtains his assistance, the Lich probably spends his time away from the front lines dealing with major problems. His absence is hardly unusual.

Also, when Zorian traced his marker, he found a second matching marker. I kinda doubt that RR gave Zorian a way to track his movements. He had some measure of respect for Zorian as a mage so I doubt he would assume incompetence and put it on him anyways.

15. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Where did it say that he had any measure of respect for Zorian? I as of the opinion that Red Robe was playing with Zorian. I like that he's back around the school. I was tired of his explorations recently. I also get that his spiders are an original concept, but all these different groups are getting about as long winded as everything else. Don't get me wrong, I still like the story,some aspects are just getting long winded.

Also funny thought, it's been a large number of loops with almost zero contact with Zach, curious what their next interaction is going to look like.

16. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

When he was talking about how quickly Zorian learned how to shield himself from soulsight. Not respect like how I treat my employer, but respecting the fact that Zorian isn't a complete moron. I doubt RR would treat someone who is actively countering his abilities as carelessly to stamp a marker on Zorian's soul that allows two-way tracking.

17. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Well. I read it for the first time last night. First couple chapters were rather bland. But after 6 or so chapters I was hooked and what felt like moments later I looked up at the clock It was like 1 in the morning I started reading around 6ish and I am halfway done now but it was really great so far. I am looking forward to more

18. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Zach is gonna punch Zorian right in the face.

I'm waiting for it =P.

19. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I forgot, Zach still doesn't know about Zorian looping, right?

20. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

The last time they saw each other Zorian banished the Lich. Zach was starting to ask how he did it and if he is a time traveler too, but Zorian just ran off before he could finish asking.

So I think Zach knows.

Tbh, I think their reunion is WAY overdue. Been like 16 chapters.