1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I put The Butcher’s Bill up for review and I was going to do the same to this fic, but it’s too short right now.

Title: The Othersiders.
    Author: PhotoJoseph.
    Rating: T.
    Genre: Alt-Power.
    Fandom: Worm.
    Pairings: Background Rachel / Brian.
    Summary: In a world where all the Undersiders’ powers are swapped, Lisa and her team are saved from Lung by a mysterious cape who seems to have all the answers. Seven chapters.
    Link: https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...u-altpower-undersiders-temporary-name.362090/

I like this fic because the writer has put actual thought into how the swapped powers manifest in different characters. Instead of just giving them copies, each person keeps their original shard and the power is translated into something else. Like Alec getting Taylor’s power, but he uses the extra minds to enhance his intelligence rather than using them as weapons (due to having a limit of how many bugs he can control).

Because this is in Lisa’s POV, this fic staying on the canon track isn’t as glaring as it usually would, though it’s too soon to tell whether it’ll stay like that. The writer also admits to writing this as they go and not being sure of how far they’ll get.

Still, it’s a decent read.

3.5/5.

2. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

For anyone who cares, Dominion just got updated with two new chapters and it is really turning out to be a really great story, as if it wasn't already.

3. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Sorry for possible necro, but I just discovered Worm about a month or two ago and have finally caught up on the fics posted in this thread and I just had to comment on this one. Holy sheet-bawlz! This was an amazing one shot that really captured the characters.

Emma is perfect as an immoral sociopath who does what she does to manipulate Taylor even from the depths of the hell she's placed her entire class in. Some of whom deserve it more than others, but all of whom saw if not participated in the torment of Taylor and are now suffering the side effects. It's amazing how well it's shown here how much she realized she's FUBAR but yet refuses to accept her fate.

Absolutely mindblowing...

I actually lurk quite a bit off and on here but this thread pulled me in hard when I went looking for fanfics in the series. I was initially introduced by Skysaber to the series and after seeing a few other stories with crosses that allowed me to get a handle on the core series I was intrigued enough to stop spoiling things for myself and start hunting down the source material. Really glad I did now....

--bornagainpenguin

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: Crime and Commitment
    Author: serpentguy
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    Library Category: AU
    Pairings: None so far
    Summary: Taylor had always had doubts about what she was doing, even after she had changed her mind on being a superhero. What might have happened if she had focused on all the good she could do if she approached law and order from the other direction? What might have happened if she had given being a supervillain her full commitment?
    Words: 33,492
    Link: ff.net

Interesting story, in that it is a divergence after Arc 6.09.

Now, warning, it is a bit of a Taylor/Undersider wank story, at the very least the first few chapters. Taylor's powerset is interpreted....generously and I am not convinced of the logic in the chain of events, but the interludes have been excellent and I hope to see that the level of thought in them will also translate to the rest of the story, now that the opening chapters have been done. Best takes on Coil and Gallant in the interludes that I have seen.

It also neatly avoids the tendency in Worm fics to make Coil a dumb mook who gets taken down hard by Taylor.

So yeah, it's flawed, but fun.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  5. Reign

Reign Fourth Year

Overall Id give Crime and Commitment a 3. There are two plot points that lacked any creative thought:
    Bigger bugs.
    Unmasking and breaking of the unwritten rules.
    Tempted to give it a 2 but the quality of the writing isn't to bad and its currently at 30k words so it has time to grow and be original.

6. Makeitrein

Makeitrein Squib

7. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Cheers, good sir. I know there's lots of appreciative people who don't have anywhere near the patience to go through that whole thing.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Are there any plans for brief descriptions to be given for each of the stories, by any chance?

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I don't see how you could scrape that sort of information.

10. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Yeah, you could maybe put the first sentence of the post in there but that's no guarantee of any information.

11. S1234567890m

S1234567890m Third Year

12. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Obviously he should just whip up a natural language reader. Easy.

13. Makeitrein

Makeitrein Squib

14. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Title: I, Greg: Or How a Self Insert Destroyed the Wormverse
    Author: Eric d'Orléans
    Rating: N/A
    Genre: Humor/Self Insert/crackfic
    Library Category: Humor
    Pairings: Greg Vedder/OC, others?
    Summary: {No summary available; written by submitter} Person from our world finds themselves inhabiting the body of one Greg Vedder aka XxVoid_CowboyxX loser extraordinare, immediately begins leveling up and shitkicking...

Words: 8 parts
    Link: SB, SV

This is a classic self-insert in the manner of Bret Handy, Carrotglace (Contra Bardus), dogbertcarroll or Skjam! where the author avatar is slightly insane to begin with and immediately begins to make trouble for themselves by not knowing the rules of the new fiction in which they find themselves. The self insert character in this fic also doesn't have a clue but in this story it's less about what he doesn't know and more about the degree of cluelessness he shows.

The biggest flaw in the fic is the lack of freaking out the character displays and the lack of response the other characters display when "Greg" begins to immediately start leveling up and taking lessons in cool. At first it was enjoyable to see the commentary on how things were different (not!Skype, not-pod) but despite emphasizing the fact that Greg is not a Worm native, no serious angst takes place about losing his entire life and being inserted into what he knows to be a fictional universe. He immediately adapts to his situation and replaces IE with Firefox and begins importing over his IE bookmarks and making plans to exercise so he can bulk up a bit and diet changes to eliminate acne.

Where the fic excels is when "Greg" throws himself in situations where he's trying to use his future knowledge and displays Armsmaster level degrees of subtlety and shocking lack of social awareness. Much of the humor is based on refuge in audacity and surreal crackfic situations, which makes a certain amount of sense as the fic seems to have been written while the author was inebriated.

I don't want to say too much here because I don't want to ruin it for people but I found it amusing and had a few laugh-out-loud moments while reading it. The humor is more Fangalla Marie and Eppy the House Elf than nonjon, but that's why it's only almost recommended. Hope you get at least a chuckle out of it.

15. Makeitrein

Makeitrein Squib

I, Greg reminds me a bit of How I Learned to Stop Hating and Love the Bomb That is Nero - love me some cracky, unreliable narrators with prose that bleeds personality.

I guess I'm just a bit washed out on the dime-a-dozen alt-power/redemption fics which I, Greg is anything but.

4.5/5 for me IMO.

16. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I think this hits it on the head, although it both doesn't have the same kind of issue that Nero does. I, Greg seems to have a very distinct and well thought out shape; everything flows together reasonably for a cracky fun fic and nothing feels left aside. Nero has some problems where it's actually horrifying if you take even a bit of a step back but the author is trying to bend over backwards not to address that at all.

17. Makeitrein

Makeitrein Squib

Hah, I'm actually a fan of how Nero's actions are whitewashed by the author - Nero never being wrong is part of the story's charm for me.

That being said, I do agree that I, Greg is a more cohesive package... Nero rambles and moseys around whereas Greg has some sort of end game in mind. Looking eagerly forward to Simone's revealing her identity...

18. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I'm writing a worm fic called "Resonance". Features an alternate power Taylor that doesn't trigger in yet another locker incident, a Sophia that SV likes more than Taylor (new MC? Hmm) and an Eidolon they like more than anyone else.

It seems to be well received on SV. Here

It's also in the WbA which is kind of like the early access version. Here.

19. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

It's ok but definitely nothing special so far, we'll see how it goes as it develops i guess.

20. deadeye

deadeye Squib

Alexis by The Angush

Summary:

Taylor Hebert always wanted to be a hero. Some things just aren't meant to be.

(Inspired by Orphan Black and A Grey World.)

An AU that I liked. It's only 10k words in so it's early to rate. Never heard of the mentioned titles either.

Not open for further replies.