1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Cadmean Victory by DarknessEnthroned - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Skeletaure, Aug 20, 2015.

1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

It matters to Hagrid and Dumbledore and explains why they'd call him by his first name.

2. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

That doesn't really count though, it should be based off how familiar he is with them, not they he. Otherwise he'd still feel weird about being referred to that way by who to him are strangers.

EDIT: Once again I have been defeated by the next page boss.

3. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

He probably would, but from their perspective he's familiar. So it is understandable that they'd refer to him as such. He would probably still feel weird, but once he realized their familiarity it should make sense to him. There is nothing of the sort with Snape though, so he has no excuse.

4. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We're talking about Harry's reaction to them calling him by his first name. HE doesn't know that these men knew him when he was a baby (If one night even counts as "Knew"). He gives no reactions at all to being called by his first name by these complete strangers (Even when he doesn't know that they "Knew" him when he was a baby).

5. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

We're talking both about how people refer to others in canon and how they're perceived in return. While Harry doesn't know Hagrid or Dumbledoree, if you look at how Hagrid introduces himself and Dumbledore to Harry, you'll see that he quickly grows in familiarity with them. You see the same with Sirius too.

That is very much unlike Fudge, Slughorn or Snape. The irony is that both Snape and Slughorn, with their connection to Harry's parents, could have done the same.

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

There is also something to be said about the ages of the people in question. If an adult calls a child (and by child I don't mean teenager of age 15) by his given name, this is acceptable, whereas the child would be expected to call the adult Mr. and not 'Albus'. So there is a sliding scale, as you grow up, and the older you are, the more you expect people to not randomly call you by your given name.

In other words, Dumbledore in PS =/= Snape quite a bit later.

Seriously, are we having that much of a cultural difference here? It seems quite obvious to me.

7. poursuiveur

poursuiveur Squib

I want to like it. I really do but I'm still not sure if the Harry/Fleur dynamic is believable at this point. Yeah they are all over each other but I don't really feel the chemistry between the characters. Hell Harry seems to have more chemistry with Katie Bell.

The past few chapters have been boring and I feel like the author doesn't know where to go from here.

I predict a tragic ending.

8. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I'm going to jump in here to say I've seriously never thought this much about names in my life. Maybe, it's an American thing, but first names are pretty common here. Every teacher I ever had has called me by my first name from kindergarten through college. We were expected to call teachers Mr. or Ms. but that stopped after high school. I've called every boss or professor I've ever had by their first name not including my military service, but that doesn't count really.

9. Deliste

Deliste First Year

I think it's a strange discussion in the first place but if you are arguing Hagrid and Dumbledore knew Harry as a child I believe it would be more accurate to state that they knew his parents and Snape had the same connection in a sense, though it was previously from the perspective of 'you're just like your shitty father' and has recently changed to 'I am seeing a resemblance to your mother'.

And now that I think about it I'm pretty sure that's what the author was going for because otherwise its the clumsiest manipulation we've seen from Snape so far.

10. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

I think it is a cultural thing.

At least for me, it was completely normal for a teacher who had known me since I was a midget to call me by my given name. I wouldn't have dreamed calling him or her anything other than Mr./Mrs. though.

That said, once you reach a certain age -- 15/16 or something -- those teachers I did not know since I was eleven were partially pretty formal. My French teacher addressed all of us with "vous" but still used our given names.

Now, there's no such option in the English language, but it would be pretty jarring for Harry and Snape's relationship -- which was not in the least amicable -- for either to suddenly use each other's given name, especially as it always was either "Potter" or "Professor" before.

11. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Updated
    The story continues to get more interesting. No criticism for today, it was enjoyable.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  12. Pradian

Pradian Squib

High Score:
    Chapter 83 - Hermione have some rudimentary Occlumency?

13. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

I think it definitely deserves criticism: I don't give a flying fuck about this love triangle the author is still trying to force upon us.

I mean, Harry and Fleur are in a relationship, Katie is still in love with Harry, now Romilda is throwing herself at Harry and has been rumored to know a thing or two about love potions. And surprise surprise, suddenly the author starts mentioning what Harry's eating and drinking, and Harry is getting suspicious about getting poisoned.

I wonder what's going to happen. :facepalm

Plus I really dislike how we're suddenly going down this Animagus route. I mean, it feels as we're back to the beginning of an even worse Independent!Harry fic. In addition to that we've got Dumbledore clumsily trying to discern something about Harry who of course utterly outsmarts him and unravels this particular attempt at control.

Ever since the beginning of the summer it feels as if the author has no idea of where he wants to go with this - even more so than before. This story is just ... meandering.

14. Sirius_Sanchez

Sirius_Sanchez Squib

High Score:
    Yeah, that animagus thing seemed to come out of nowhere. Perhaps it is another way to show how in tune he is with all things avian, ie. Fleur and his patronus. I do, however, miss the interactions with Fleur.

15. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

I don't think this fandom has had bird on bird sex yet. Maybe Fleur'll lay an egg in the end.

16. Mestre

Mestre Professor

The animagus project was mentioned 10/15 chapters before.

17. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I don't think that method of trying to figure out how he was leaving was clumsy at all.

18. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Harry considers the animagus transformation rarely useful and way too much work to actually try. I like that.

On a side note, have you noticed how Slughorn asked Hermione if she minded him using her first name? Cultural differences aside, this is story canon.

19. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

For the record, did you just compare Slughorn and Snape? Of course Slughorn would ask permission, for one thing he's (to the students) a brand new professor.

20. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Of course. Slughorn is new and hasn't managed to garner any bad will, as opposed to the universally despised Snape, yet he does ask. And that's not even taking Snape's special relationship with Harry, otherwise called bullying.