1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Cadmean Victory by DarknessEnthroned - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Skeletaure, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Or perhaps the author, who's been known to read DLP, decided to humor us.

2. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Additionally, Harry only figures it out AFTER it already worked. Which is, to be honest, not that useful.
    And I don't know why this should mean he "utterly outsmarts" Dumbledore.

3. Mestre

Mestre Professor

My money is on Horcrux Hermione(Locket).

She lived in Sirius´s house and so many chapters adresssing Hermione dark eyes..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  4. i5pure

i5pure Squib

I have been following this fic from the beginning and I'm still not sure whether I like or not, although I found the banter between Neville and Harry to quite fun to read.

5. Thormolecules

Thormolecules Squib

High Score:
    I'm really conflicted about this story...I actually really like the opaque 'romance' and how little sap and lemons are in the writing. I'm bored by the amount of poorly constructed fleur/Harry romances there are so moving on quickly works for me.
    I think that the author is technically competent and has some good grasp on extending the HP magic system but it's unimaginative and the Indy Harry trope of outwitting dumbledore is getting old. We'll see if it gets better, 3/5

6. halfwaydecent

halfwaydecent Fourth Year

Well I never thought this was possible but I'm almost done with year 5 (I know I am really far behind but I kept picking the fic up and dropping it for various reasons) and I hate Harry/Fleur in this fic. Fleur is just an annoying character in this and I find myself skimming basically every part that involves her, even the way Harry thinks about her annoys me. (Does the romance kind of remind anyone else of Robert Jordan's romance in WoT?) At this point I would much rather have the pairing be Katie/Harry but if this fic had no romance in it I would like it so much more which is saying something as I generally like stories to at least have some love interest in it. Still its a decent time waster so I can't really complain that much. Out of curiosity does the romance end up getting better or is it going to make me want to rage quit the story?

7. m4n1

m4n1 Squib

High Score:
    This fic is definitely my guilty pleasure fic. I love the pairing, and the romance, in my opinion, is not too bad. I know that it has a lot of cliches but I am more inclined to just ignore them since they are not too terribly written. The only gripes I have about this recently is the whole Katie trying to steal Harry. But overall, one of the more enjoyable fics if you can ignore some shit.

8. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Yep that's pretty much how I feel about it. Hoping the author kills Katie tbh, he has a perfect set up for it already.

9. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

The thing is imo that this fic is a decent Harry/Fleur, and there are not many good ones with this paring outta there (espcially none "new" ones). And therefore this one has gathered quite its fanbase.

This fic flows between good and average but is surely worth reading when you dont search for a masterpiece. It has it flaws (certainly quite many of them) but it does get its point across in a nicely way so that continue reading is worth it, if only for the guilty pleasure.

10. Pradian

Pradian Squib

High Score:
    This fic is decent and the most important thing is that it got a fast and consistent update rate. Most fics have very... irregular update rates.

So... 'Horcrux' Hermonie and the thing with Snape at Chapter 87.. Intense.

11. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

I was very engaged for that entire last chapter. Usually you have a good idea whether the author is going to kill off a character but I didn't know until the end.

Snape is a little OOC, but I was fine with it. Great stuff.

12. Ghosthree3

To be honest I wasn't super thrilled with the last chapter.

I thought the Snape storyline was going to be much deeper than that. The conclusion was pretty lacklustre and was left without a way back in.

13. ledballoon

ledballoon Squib

High Score:
    I, too, was hoping for a bit more Harry becomes snape 2.0 type arching, (or even dumbledore 2.0 type character arch) and according to the author's notes in the story itself, this thought may have crossed the author's mind, however things that could have easily led to this conclusion so far have all been rejected in the author's formative plotting phases.

(Concept being: Fluer breaks it off with Harry because Harry is acting/ is becoming like a crazed, paranoid murderer, she starts dating/falls in love with/marries Bill and Harry is stuck dealing with the fact he is desperately in love with a woman who is in love with someone else and his greatest desire [mirror of erised] will never be able to come to fruition, forcing him to be either stuck in perpetual teenaged agnsty snape-hood or mourn, grow the fuck up, and move on like Dumbledore did [grindelwald])

Moving on:

I think Harry's character shows profound growth in one direction (academic) with no emotional growth/ wisdom to compensate/balance his newly developed talents/skills. So right now we have a Very proficient character who holds petty grudges and maintains a very shallow relationship with Trophy!girlfriend and it's frustratingly boring. (Given, Harry's interactions with some of the side characters are still pretty entertaining) The universe has become stuck in this awkward position where either people are too scared or too detached from Harry's character to call him out on his bullshit combined with the lack of any proper consequences for harry's heartless actions and disregard for others. In the beginning of the fic, the consequences felt more realistic and impactful, so even though there were some places in need of improvement, the story was still interesting and immersive for me. However, this is no longer the case and I am finding myself putting less and less emotional investment in the story and the characters because there is really no one left I can empathize with in any major way.

Right now, as much as I am hoping the author can turn this one dimensional fic around, I am so frustrated and tired of the lackluster serious/romantic conversations that I'm really just hoping for a functional conclusion.

14. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    Agree with led, your imagined scenario was the sames as mine. Be nice to see some of fleur's flaws too. What would be more awesome if harry became a bitter psychopath and went the voldemort route. By killing gabrielle or some shit

15. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Where did you get this idea from? They live together, she moved out from her home country to live with him and is perfectly willing to ignore his murderous and vengeful tendencies. Hell, if Fleur thinks he's justified then Harry can go wild for all she cares.

From Harry's side, Gabrielle remarked on his obsession/love with her sister and approved their relationship even though it would certainly put Fleur in danger, and Harry's deepest desire is to start a family with her.

The author isn't very competent at writing romance, true, but it's constantly implied and showed in the story their somewhat disturbing levels of devotion to each other.

Sadly, I don't think killing Fleur is a good idea anymore, Harry wouldn't become like Snape or Dumbledore, he'd probably waste his life away trying to ressurect her and taking revenge on everyone he thinks was even slightly responsible for her death. So, Death Eaters, Aurors that weren't there when they were needed etc. Very irrational, but as you guys said, he's trigger-happy and holds grudges for a long time.

"I don't forgive, I don't forget." (horrible line btw, but it does a nice job at describing his mentality except for Snape's case.)

16. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but has anyone noticed how the author seems to lack subtlety at times and over analyzes the characters instead of showing what's going on and leaving it to the reader. For instance, in the latest chapter we have:

There's several instances like this where Fleur seems to immediately and accurately guess each and every little thing. This has happened with Harry's POV too.

17. Ghosthree3

Yep I've noticed it. I think it's just the author's inexperience showing through. The more you can say without saying anything the better, but being able to do it well isn't necessarily easy and perhaps the author just doesn't think he/she can manage it. The more that is left to the reader to figure out the better that thing becomes I've found, maybe it just makes the reader feel slightly clever or something.

18. RThomas

RThomas Squib

It's been a while since I have read the fic (I think up to chapter 70 or something), but I liked it for the most part, and not really in a guilty-pleasure-sort-of-way like some.

There are most certainly a buttload of clichés, but the author's writing is good enough to pull me through them for the most part.

That 'I do not forget. I do not forgive' line though :facepalm

For me, it's the most memorable line of the whole story, and that's definitely not a good thing.

Additionally, I don't like a not insignificant part of the story progression and the characters of Fleur and I-do-not-forgive-Harry. I get that they are supposed to be an independent and empowered couple, but a lot of times they just come across as freakin' assholes.^^

On the positive side, the author seems to be very disciplined (he/she writes insanely fast with an acceptable quality) and is willing to listen to feedback. Going back and edit/refine certain plot points and such.

I have hopes for his/her future works. Cadmean Victory would get a 2/5 from me at this point.

19. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Pretty harsh after that analysis, I think.

However, I've got to admit that I've almost stopped caring for Harry (never really cared for Fleur tbh) just like he doesn't care for anyone except three persons.
    The only thing that made me keep going was his decision to keep Snape alive.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  20. RThomas

RThomas Squib

Well, I don't use a seperate evaluation system for fanfiction and other types of media (novels, mangas, movies, etc.) . I generally tend to stress the negative points and rate pretty conservativly, too.

Since I usually use a scale from 1-10, a 4 - 4.5/10 would give me a 2/5 here on DLP. And like I said, I look forward to the author's future works.