1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Haze

Haze Second Year

Uncle Qrow
    By: Foxinstrazt
    Seeing his two nieces is something Qrow looks forward to, and dreads. And it's all because of one simple word.. [One-Shot]
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Romance/Tragedy - Ruby Rose, Summer Rose, Qrow Branwen, Taiyang Xiao Long - Words: 2,325 - Reviews: 24 - Favs: 111 - Follows: 35 - Published: Oct 29, 2015 - Status: Complete - id: 11584607

Had to share this. Its been eating at me for the last 24h. A little look into Qrow Branwen.

The Rogue
    By: Wraith002
    After facing horrors and revelations that turned his world upside down, one teen fled from everything he had known as everyone he knew turned against him. Now on the run, followed by a powerful and sinister force beyond comprehension, he takes asylum in a place where he will learn to fight for a better cause. But can he save his new allies from a past that will never truly die? AU
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure/Horror - [Ruby Rose, Point Man] Alma W., Team RWBY - Chapters: 12 - Words: 67,242 - Reviews: 151 - Favs: 150 - Follows: 163 - Updated: Nov 19, 2015 - Published: Jul 13, 2015 - id: 11377072

Pretty much the best crossover i've found. The author has managed to blend the two worlds together extremely well. The characters are great, the interactions are great. The latest chapters have Alma having a more active roll as well, which is always a bonus.

The first chapter is a bit of an info dump. If you've played the games, you can just skip the first chapter and just go straight into the story. Some grammatical errors but nothing story-breaking.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Well, it's not in the archive, so probably not.

As for the comic itself, the dialogue felt a bit off at times. Blake's recounting of her experiences comes to mind, but that's a minor nitpick. The plot which brings them together is contrived, but only if you think about it too hard. It's great for something quick and light to read though.

The art is also good at bringing out the emotions in scenes.

I'd give it a 3.5/5, rounding down.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I quite enjoyed it, short, emotional and touching. Art was gorgeous and the dialogue, while not perfect, worked well enough.

4/5

5. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Unless someone else really wants to do it, I'll put it up for review tomorrow morning when I'm not half asleep.

6. Haze

Haze Second Year

Remnants of a Shinobi
    By: Kdrevm
    Everything was taken from him just as he traveled to this new world. Betrayed by the one he called brother and forced to know he failed his world, Naruto must live his life in the new world of Remnant. The blonde must face new challenges and even more opponents while being the first and only Shinobi of Remnant!
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure - Naruto U. - Chapters: 12 - Words: 63,108 - Reviews: 503 - Favs: 1,308 - Follows: 1,529 - Updated: Jan 1 - Published: Dec 6, 2014 - id: 10872485

Looks like this is gonna be my final recommendation because i've already gone over everything. The only Naruto crossover that was actually really good, because it lacks all the aspects that make the others unreadable.

*No Kyuubi
    *No "Naruto joins Beacon"
    *Naruto is not a Fox Faunus.
    *Naruto does not lose his chakra for whatever reasons. He is still a sage and overpowered as hell.
    *Naruto won't teach anyone Ninjutsu

Naruto is a little OOC however, which might turn some of you off but Naruto and Neos relationship is so adorable that it balances it out.

7. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It worries me significantly to know that you've read enough Naruto/RWBY crossovers to list out the tropes that have cropped up.

As to Naruto/RWBY crossovers, I don't see a way any of that can be good, and I've never seen it be good in practice and that fic isn't exactly... quality either.

8. Haze

Haze Second Year

The Heiress
    By: TheRedPoet
    When the RWBY team visits the Schnee company headquarters prior to the tournament, dark secrets are revealed. Ruby realizes that not everything is what it seems, and that Ozpin keeps a dark secret from the people of Vale. Grey!Ruby, NotEvil!Ruby, Smart!Ruby, Powerful!Ruby, Harem, Manipulative!Ozpin bashing, Misunderstood!Cinder, Good!Torchwick Don't like, don't read.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Romance/Adventure - Roman Torchwick, Jaune Arc, Cinder Fall, Team RWBY - Words: 5,044 - Published: 6m ago - id: 11754619

An amazing story. The worldbuilding is top notch. I love how the author has managed to give life to characters we know about in the canon, but haven't seen yet, like Weiss's father, who is currently my favorite character.

9. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Sounds like top tier shit HP stories, and at 5,000 words there can't be much world building.

10. VereorNox

VereorNox Bomb Turban

You need to read it to understand it, man. They're masterworks all, you can't go wrong.

11. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

It is, and even worse, it is published here at DLP.

12. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I'm 90% sure that this is a tongue in cheek parody of a Indy!Harry fic. Like, Blake reciting facts from Remnant: A History is pretty telling.

Pretty cute.

On doujinshi, has anyone been keeping up with Henceforward? Had a slew of updates recently - we're up to chapter 29 now.

13. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Just so no one else feels the need to tell me, I already know. :p

That comment was before I click on the fic and visited IRC.

14. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I have a mountain named after me.

I didn't even realise that was one of my life goals until just now. :awesome

15. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11295916/1/The-Longest-Hunt

For him, the night was supposed to end. The Dream would come to a close and he had done his best in his service as a Hunter. He would awake in the new dawn and make the most of what remained of his life. But a new nightmare threatens the Hunter's Dream and a foreign world. The young hunter is thrown into a different world of huntsmen and huntresses to warn them, to save them.

---------------------

Here's an very nice take on RWBY/Bloodborne crossover. I felt that the merge between the two universes deserves recognition and the over-arching plot was good enough to keep my interest

Dialogue is well written and not dry. RWBY characters aren't cardboard copies and have some depth to them. The story is not afraid to deviate from canon.

I'd probably recommend this for a Library fic just for my own enjoyment. In fact, if we get enough good reviews here, I might as well move it there later.

4/5 Because it's on-going 200k fic.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  16. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

17. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I just can't get into Henceforward, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, the art's good and it has really good moments, but there's just so many things that happen and just...take me right out of it. I'll spoil this just in case, but:

Turns out the Grimm all being born from Faunus. Humanity are actually aliens or something from the moon? But various vague things happened and we fucked it up because we are the evils and the suck. The Faunus, meanwhile, beautiful cinnamon rolls too good for this world--yeah, they all lived in peace and happiness because they have a hive mind thing.

And it's really dumb, because it makes no fucking sense on top of being ridiculous. See, originally, humans were apparently weak--they didn't have Auras or Semblances, so they were inferior to normal animals, to say nothing of the Grimm...but they beat the shit out of the supposedly superior Faunus and took their powers and shit? And also brainwashed the entire Faunus race to make them forget everything? And blahblablah, the humans are what's wrong with everything and created the Grimm.

Also, Weiss has dust growing on her now? And a bunch of people lost their powers for reasons, but it turns out that they can fix it all if they just believe in themselves, but no one ever did? And stuff.

Frankly, I've been rooting for Jaune, Nora, and Ren, because everything else has just gotten increasingly WTF. And frankly, Ruby was an enormous bitch in recent chapters. But apparently nobody likes Jaune, even when he seems to be the only person doing anything to actually help people.

WTF.

So yeah. I'm very eh on it lately.

18. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Yeah... That sounds just like the kind of shit I hate about any. I could never get into it because the writing and grasp of character were both weak.

19. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What is it about? Main characters, general plot, etc?

20. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

Basically, events are subtly tweaked such that none of Team RWBY wind up going to beacon. The story is basically "how RWBY winds up together anyway".

It's an enjoyable story. Just four chapters and complete. Might get a sequel sometime, but it's complete on its own.