1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Animagus Forms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I was wondering, in canon, does JKR actually say that you cannot pick your animagus form? Or can you pick it? I'm reading a story in which they seem to be able to pick it, but I was always under the assumption that they had no choice. It that fanon, or canon?

2. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

The book never mentions how to become an animagus so everything you read about the transformation, except that it's hard to accomplish and barely anyone has the ability, is fanon.

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I go by the animal choose's the person type thing like the wand. I dont think Wormtail would have wanted to become a rat... they were doing it to help Moony and rat cant really do that. Sure, he can stun the Whomping Willow, so what? He can be a good spy when they are pranking, so what? It was to help a werewolf at the start.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Except JKR seems to make the damned ability, just like Occulemency, from Book 1 animagi were uber rare. then as the series goes on you keep seeing the damned things. Wasn't it like 7 a century including her are registered, and then you get 4 animagi from PoA+GoF?

5. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

true but the question is would you register if you had that ability?

6. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

It always depends. If you're someone like Voldemort, you wouldn't register. That would require going to the Ministry before he takes it over, that way he's in the records. However, a normal person...I guess if you want the Minstry to keep track of you, then go ahead and register. If not, just stay hidden in the backgrounds and wait for the perfect time to take over. Especially if you're a bunny animagus and use all of the bunnies to overthrow everything. Then the world would be ruled by bunnies or whatever other animal you want.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Theres no real reason not to, unless you are a person using it for bad purposes.

James and co had a good reason not to register, and Rita used it to spy.

For an average person who just happened to have the ability, it'd make all the sense in the world to register, you wouldn't want to get caught, or accidentally killed in animal form and not have anyone aware of it

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

But still, heaps of Death Eaters might be animangus' and no one would know. They wouldnt reg because they are 'bad' people.

9. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

If you can't pick your animagus then another reason could be that you are embaressed. Imagine someone like Lavender finding out that their animagus form is a pig! That is if you had to go through the transformation in order to learn what your form is. Besides I have a feeling that you can't just buy a book on it just anywhere so most people who have the ability are taught by a ministry official like with apparition, so you will just automatically get registered when you complete your training.

10. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Or maybe McGonagall teaches them herself, but requests permission from the Ministry first.

11. realmess

realmess Slug Club Member

yep, looks like it. McGonagall was suprised that three of her students managed that, but then everyone agrees that transfiguration was James Potter's forte, Sirius was strong enough to follow him, and they both probably [coached/cajoled/transformed] em, helped Peter. Animagi are rare- the Azkaban Prison allowed one animagus to ran away- nobody even thought of that possibility [good for Sirius].

12. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

According to JKR, what she has said so far about animagi OTHER than what in canon is that A.) you don't get to choose what form you have. and B.) That your form INDICATES your personality. Does not define it, but encapsulates it. I.E. Dogs are in Sirius's case A.) Loyal, b.) frisky

McGonagall's cat is A.) Independent and B.) Stong-willed

YOu get the idea. I wanna know what Rita's animagus indicates about her. Probably something like she likes to not be noticed, but if she is going to be noticed She wants to respected and be fantastic.

13. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Rita is sneaky. Beetle's a pretty sneaky.

Harry would be good as some sort of bird. If he could fly without a broom, he'd never stop.

14. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

Yeah, but most fan fiction writers have him as a phoenix. Yarry is NOT a phoenix. Besides, can you even have a magical creature as your animagus?

15. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

it seems to be what most super powered harry/ginny writers think

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I was thinking along the lines of a Hawk... non-magical... or even a fucking parot that makes smartass remarks about peoples hair.

17. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Canon!Harry makes the perfect house elf.

"Yes Dumbly's bitch Harry is"

18. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

A person CANNOT be magical animagus. OF course, these writers don't give a fuck about that. They are same people who say, "Harry is too powerful to use a wand. He must use a staff, even though a wand covers everybody's power from Voldemort to Neville LOngbottom."

19. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Ah, thank you, that's what I needed to know.

Yes, but they also seem to believe that he should have like 10 forms, instead of the normal 1.

20. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

That's really annoying, isnt it?

No one has him being a snake unless its some sort of magical snake. I like Harry being a snake.