1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

This is probably the best crossover that I've read for RWBY. The writing is solid with a fairly decent update rate and the plot is quite interesting with stuff from Bloodborne literally bleeding in to RWBY's setting. Also, the author doesn't try and shoehorn the Good Hunter into a team like I've seen in other fics.

That being said, there are still some gripes I have with this story. For instance, the author seems to have made like ninety percent of the RWBY cast prone to being stubborn and snappish to a ridiculous degree. It would be understandable in like the first five or so chapters, where the hunter was a dangerous stranger. It becomes more of a chore to read through when this doesn't change for nearly 200k words.

Yang is the biggest offender. Good god every interaction she has with the hunter is a pain to read.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm not proud of it, but against my better judgement, and in fact, against my will, I find myself immensely enjoying each and every update of Professor Arc. I don't know why, but it's just a really enjoyable guilty pleasure. It annoys me, really, that I like it so much because I really didn't want to.

Alas, it's stupidly charming and fun.

3. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Professor Arc is pretty good IMO. Updates like clockwork too, which is a nice bonus.

4. Haze

Haze Second Year

I admit, i wouldn't care much about this fic if it wasn't for the sheer awesomeness that is Jaune/Neo. Loved the last scene in the latest chapter, where she was "protecting" his room.

5. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Don't disagree with you on the technical plot points being a bit "meh" in this fic.

One of the main drivers for my love of it are really the characters. I really like the way everyone has grown up - both their new characters designs (which are amazing - especially Ruby and Blake) and their personalities. The plot seems to be put together purely for the purposes of creating certain character developments or the situations to explore them.

I love how Ruby has maintained her general gentle/friendly attitude while calming down a bit in demeanor (probably due to everything that's happened to her), while still being an absolute badass in battle. Her relationship with Weiss is fantastic - their interaction possibly better than anything I've ever read in fanfiction. It's cute, playful, lighthearted and filled with absolute mutual respect.

Jaune became an absolute badass. Yang built on her existing traits. Weiss became such a caring and selfless person.

And Blake. What a story for her.

The other main driver for my love of the story is the scene construction. It has some of the better fight scenes I've read in manga and there are some absolutely amazing sets of panels.

Like sure, the whole "Faunus become Grimm" is a bit cheesy from a plot perspective. But I can forgive that when it leads to such a fantastic and artistic chapter as this.

The reasoning for Blake stabbing Ruby and then running off was a bit weak, but it made for an excuse for RWBY to all split off, and then see how all the characters developed separately.

Anyway, I have felt my interest waning a bit in the last few chapters. Art style quality has dropped a bit too, and there haven't really been many of those amazing moments since like, chapter 23.

Professor Arc remain a fun story. The humor and the regular harem anime comedy situations Jaune seems to find himself in seem to work surprisingly well. I think Neo really makes the story and I'm actually shipping them pretty hard now. Usually really struggle to enjoy any story that has Jaune as a main character too.

6. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

So, there is this fic that is barely starting but has a comedic feel similar to Professor Arc.

Arc of the Revolution.

In which Jaune accidentaly conquers Vale.

It is barely three chapters in and it is the author's first fic. It will probably go downhill once the plot devices grow more and more artificial. Still, it hasn't happened yet and it is a fun little fic if you have an hour to kill so far.

7. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I found that one yesterday; it's a fun little story. I rather like the concept, but I can easily see it becoming increasingly contrived as it goes on. I'm definitely gonna be keeping an eye on it though. What's there was a lot of fun and I like how the author's handled it so far.

8. Nemrut

High Score:
    The concept sounds too dumb to work from the begin with. Jaune as professor, is also dumb but at least within the realm of my SoD. Conquering a nation? Less so.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  9. Agayek

Eh, it really does just kinda work if you read it. He doesn't actually conquer anything; through a combination of misunderstandings, poor timing, and ignorance, Jaune manages to convince the White Fang he's both part of their cause and something of a badass, and eventually, if the "snap-forward" prologue is any indication, accidentally convinces them to conquer Vale in his name. At which point, his reaction is best described as "[SCREAMS INTERNALLY]".

Like I said, I could easily see it becoming increasingly contrived and turning into shit, but as it currently stands, it's lighthearted and silly fun. You need to be able to not take it too seriously, but as long as you can do that, it's a blast.

10. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I've lately been enjoying Hazredous Interruptions on SB.

It's a RWBY/Nanoha cross with the Nanoha cast crashing and being stranded on Remnant. The humor may not appeal to everyone, but each chapter so far entertains the dickens out of me.

11. Nemrut

High Score:
    Title: I Prefer Poirot
    Author: Puzzle
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    Fandom: RWBY
    Summary: Jaune's Semblance is Tattletale's power from Worm, super intuition. This results in a slightly different Jaune, but one who is still close enough to his canon persona. This also results in different teams.
    Link:spacebattles

When I started reading this, didn't really expect much. It's still not great or anything, relatively at the beginning, still. But nonetheless, I like the take on Jaune here, and Yang especially was handled interestingly.

Decent time waster if nothing else but it has potential. Then again, I don't expect the premise to sustain the story for too long but what is there is enjoyable.

12. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I dropped the story once Jaune spilled Blake's secret literally seconds after being told not to.

---------- Post automerged at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

They managed to make Jaune dumber than canon.

13. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

It's definitely a decent timesink, I think, but the writing is engaging enough to keep it interesting.

Besides that, if you're familiar with Worm then you know Tattletale can be pretty dumb with her mouth too.

14. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol, never read Worm.

15. Haze

Haze Second Year

I can't really tell how i feel about this fic. On the one hand, Tattletale!Jaune is pretty sweet. The new teams is also pretty nice. Enjoying the hell out of the Jaune/Yang partnership.

On the other hand though, Jaune is kind of an asshole. Especially in the latest chapter with Penny. He has a frankenstein complex against Penny, i guess.
    His inability to keep his mouth shut really grates.

16. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

17. Agayek

I'm not super fond of the sherlock-Jaune story. It's not bad for what's there, and I find some of the character dynamics pretty interesting, but the story feels disjointed as all hell and it really cuts into my enjoyment of it. If there were better transitions between chapters, I'd probably rate it fairly highly, but as it is, 2.5/5.

18. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Well as the author it started as a one shot and continued because it flowed easily through the keyboard. It definitely is choppy and I've been planning to go back and edit it after the current season finishes. I've been a little indulgent with starting things recently, everything would benefit from a little more focus.

As for Jaune being an asshole, yeah he kind of is. It fits the source of his semblance, and I didn't want to make it a straight powerup.

Edit: I quite liked your (@Agayek) Dresden/RWBY snippets, here and here by the way.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  19. Agayek

I really wish I could come up with something more to do with that premise. It's probably mostly an issue of me not being familiar enough with the plot of the show, but I just can't come up with a decent scenario to proceed along.

20. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter