1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2016

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I was permanently turned off that website after seeing how they handle HP-related stuff.

When I heard that they said that wizards are stupid because they don't know math and have time-turners which can prevent the extinction of dinosaurs I'm certain I've lost some brain cells.

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Winston in many ways is a very.... typical black movie character of his time. I think people are complaining that we are supposed to have evolved our portrayal of black people since then. From that trailer alone I can kind of see their point, though its jumping the gun a bit to damn the characterization from that alone. But when you have them literally listed out as genius mechanic, particle physicist and then the street-smart chick who can borrow a car from her uncle... yeah I can see why people might be a little weary. Still, we will have to wait and see if any of that shitstorm is justified.

I quite like the special effects, they seemed to be an updated version of the original aesthetic. I really like the props/tools you see lying around the workshop, someone did well there.

The humor...looks ok, I'm not a fan of cringe humor but I'm not getting too much of that kind of vibe from it. It will be walking that kid/adult humor line and it remains to be seen whether it can be smart and yet sincere enough to pull it off. I'm willing to wait and see how it plays out.

As for the genderbending? I think its a great idea, if we must reboot everything a bit of genderbending/ racebending/ culturebending or whatever else at least shakes up the endless repeating of old pop culture. It also allows you to have a majority minority cast within a big blockbuster movie. If we are going to address hollywoods little diversity problem then the safety of a familiar franchise is as good a way as any to ease everyone into the idea that movies don't have to be majority white dudes to make big money.

So yeah, I don't know if this experiment will work, but I hope it does, just to shake things up a little. I want to see Muslim Ms Marvel, female Thor and black Spiderman.

Edit: Majorly ninja'd

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  3. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

The effects were pretty bad, honestly. Still, I won't rush to the theatre to see IT BUT I am not completely turned off by it. The reimagined theme was nice.

4. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

5. Andrela

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Depressingly, it pretty much lines up with other plot leaks I've seen.

I just watched the original again the other day out of spite. Not sure if I want to go on and watch Ghostbusters 2, but I guess it has been a while.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  7. dyslecto

dyslecto Squib

High Score:
  8. Tikigod784

Tikigod784 Second Year

The trailer for Ghostbusters has destroyed any and all expectations I may have had for it.

...Which leaves open the slim possibility of being surprised, but I doubt it.

9. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

This Ghostbuster farce looks like a sacrilege where they piss on the grave of past comedy giants. I enjoyed a few McCarthy comedies for what they are but her brand of comedy does not fit that franchise at all.

What's next? Bluessisters 2017 with McCarthy getting released from jail where she receives her used tampon back and drops her past lover Hadyden Christensen on the street after a final kiss?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  10. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

It looks like it would be an average film if it wasn't for the association with the nostalgia for a cult film of our past.

11. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I don't really get the outrage over Ghostbusters tbh. Was there anyone expecting it to be anything other than a shitty nostalgia based cash grab? I actually like that they might try something different with the cast, rather than just getting a worse version of the original guys.

12. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

For me it's not outrage; it's disappointment. With all the material out there from thousands of writers, somewhere there's a script that would blow your socks off if it were greenlighted into an actual movie.

Instead, Hollywood leans on the crutch that is always does, redoing movies that don't need to be redone. While the original Ghostbusters wasn't the pinnacle of movie making, it was, and still is damned entertaining. For what it was, it couldn't have been made any better.

I hope it utterly fails and the studio takes a massive hit. I doubt it'll stop Hollywood from trying it again, but maybe it might make them pause and reread that other original script instead of pandering to people that whine about how there aren't enough women, minorities, etc. in famous movies.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see a remake of Gone With the Wind with a black female Rhett Butler a transsexual Vietnamese Scarlet O'hara and white male house slave Mammy.

13. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Yeah, I really agree with this.

It's not anger, it's disappointment. It's a shame that the opportunity was so clearly there to do something cool or awesome, and instead the trailer is 100% cookie cutter.

Granted, this is a bit of contempt prior to investigation, but the trailer definitely squashed the faint hope I had that it would capture some of the charm of the original.

14. dyslecto

dyslecto Squib

High Score:
    Is it weird I find this strangely interesting?

15. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    The international trailer released yesterday basically confirms this plot leak, including details not previously shared.

Which basically confirms this movie as a turd sandwich.

Sony removed the IT from YouTube, however, after it received something like 200k dislikes. Also because it was hosted by someone who wasn't Sony. Here's an article with the IT embedded - it's in Ukrainian.

16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    New Captain America: Civil War trailer.

A lot more details shown, too. Looks like a real clusterfuck of people (minus Asgardians). I'll admit this trailer hyped me much more than the previous one, because it makes the conflict look much more realistic.

17. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    #TeamCap

Pretty sure Tony just designed Azkaban.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Standing around in a parking lot in groups like that... they are primed to break into song and dance.

19. Andrela

Daisy Ridley is considered for role of Lara Croft in the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot.

Some sources:

Inquistr.

IGN.

20. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rhona Mitra is my Lara forever.