1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Spinoff Movie - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celestin, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Jazz-Meister

Jazz-Meister Disappeared

High Score:
    Actually, does anyone know if the Harry Potter Wiki is accurate? Because if it is, then this might be interesting...

Mary Lou: (played by Samantha Morton) – "The narrow-minded leader of the fanatical Second Salemers, a group looking to expose and kill wizards and witches."

If that's legit, then I suppose we have more plot now, and I really like the idea of a No-Maj taskforce hunting down wizards.

2. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'm pretty sure that was mentioned on Pottermore first. As for HPWiki it's hit and miss they take information from everywhere not just the canon from the books.

3. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Why so wizards can handily beat them and remove their memories or some beast kills them?

4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Stop right here. You are sailing into dangerous waters and you should turn around.

5. Jazz-Meister

Jazz-Meister Disappeared

High Score:
    Oh, It just hit me that this is set in America. *Sigh*, one to many terrible Fanfics set in that country and read when I didn't have good taste have just ruined this movie. Fuck.

6. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

At least it plays into America's obsession with secret societies.

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Out of all the reasons to not watch a movie, "because I read a shitty fanfic once" seems like a really stupid one.

8. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

On the contrary, I'm hoping the movie shoves at least some of the HP cliches involving America right back in their faces. The simple fact the wizards are really paranoid about muggles and muggles are hunting wizards pretty much blows that nonsense about "American Wizardry is Best Wizardry" out of the water.

9. Jazz-Meister

Jazz-Meister Disappeared

High Score:
    I never realised I could put a title on my regular posts...

True, didn't think about that.

Eh, since this is a fanfic forum: I'll take a stab in the dark and say that the Pet Peeves thread after a month or two of this movie being released (enough time for plenty of terrible Fanfics to be shit out) will be filled with: "Nymphomaniac!Goldie, WayTooEccentric!Newt/ CanLiterallyTalkWithAnimals!Newt, and Tina Bashing.

Just a random prediction, but I think we'll see at least one of these on FFnet frequently.

10. i5pure

i5pure Squib

:facepalm I swear if I see this in another story... did Merlin even exist in canon or was like a Myth or something, I forget.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Merlin does exist in canon. He was in Slytherin.

That's what he was referring to.

12. Lina

Lina Squib

I thought that the short teaser trailer was quite promising... I am a huge fan of

Eddie Redmayne and I think that he can give the character quite a lot...

I also am so excited to see the wizarding world of the US... Unless the one

reference in the goblet of fire during the world cup, I can't remember any other

mentions of the US...

13. MerakiKosmos

MerakiKosmos Squib

High Score:
    Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them

So let's talk about the new HP trilogy coming out.

Apparently, according to this excerpt from the summary, when some magical creatures get loose in New York it:

So, there may not be a Statute of Secrecy in the U.S.? At least during the time of the movie circa 1920. That could be really interesting to see, especially if it means a Men In Black II style mass mindwipe at the end of the Trilogy when the Statute gets introduced, if at all.

Also, apparently there's a "New Salem Philanthropic Society" a.k.a. "The Second Salemers" composed of muggles/No-Maj that want to eradicate Wizard-kind.

We're going to finally see a Wizard-Muggle War.

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Already a thread here.

15. MerakiKosmos

MerakiKosmos Squib

High Score:
    My mistake.

16. The Wasp

The Wasp First Year

High Score:
    I thought the Statute of Secrecy was international and it goes for everyone. At least that's the impression I get reading the books. However it is a possibility that in some countries, muggle and wizard life are more closely connected than in others. The United States could be one of those countries. After all why would this 'New Salem Society' be picketing a rally by a muggle U.S. Senator?

I am also interested in how much blood purity is a factor in America. My guess would be very little, but you never know.

17. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It does seem like it would be pretty hard to have full secrecy in some countries, and wizards living openly in others. I mean, if everyone knows there are wizards in the US, word would get out pretty quickly and all the Muggles would start wondering about wizards living in other nations.

At a guess, the Anti-Wizard group is seen as a group of fringe loonies by the wider world. That at least makes sense.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  19. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

On one hand, I have no doubt it will (hopefully) help purge some of the lovely ideas Fanon developed about Magical America.

On the other hand, not only would at least some people do what they always do when Canon contradicts their Fanon (ignore it), a lot of them would probably twist the new information to suit their own needs for how uber-awesome Magical America is.

20. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

You know, I've been wondering something for a couple of days now, but do you guys think there's a strong likelihood of a Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Movie Novelization? I don't mean the book which the movie is based on, but a novelization which retells the story of the movie.