1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Haze

Haze Second Year

Dust Based Thaumaturgy
    By: AnthonyRidad
    Three years after the end of the Fifth Holy Grail War, Shirou Emiya and Rin Tohsaka find themselves in a strange, unfamiliar world. Discovered by the soon-to-be-dubbed teams RWBY and JNPR, the two young magi are invited to be temporary guests at Beacon Academy.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure - Shirō E., Rin T., Ruby Rose, Yang Xiao Long - Chapters: 6 - Words: 27,775 - Reviews: 125 - Favs: 303 - Follows: 470 - Updated: 1h ago - Published: Feb 4 - id: 11770119

Finally found a RWBY/Fate crossover that didn't annoy the hell out of me. Only 6 chapters but its pretty great. Not to mention the OTP, so you know the author has good taste.

I'm really enjoying the interactions between Shirou/Rin and the cast of RWBY. The power levels seem pretty consistent with what we've seen in Fate. But that doesn't mean that Shirou or Rin are just curbstomping everyone. They are keeping a lot of their abilities in secret.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. eden

eden First Year

A good read:

A Talk Worth Having
    By: College Fool
    There must be a limit to how innocent and naive their team leaders can be can be. There must be. But until it's found... (Oneshot)
    Rated: Fiction T - American - Friendship/Humor - Ruby Rose, Blake Belladonna, Jaune Arc - Words: 8,978 - Reviews: 39 - Favs: 124 - Follows: 52 - Published: 16h ago - Status: Complete - id: 11873112

An amusing one-shot where the humor is not forced or falls flat. It can be called a lampshade hanging of
    how some fanfics take Ruby and Jaune's "innocence" and "stupidity" too far. And of course, the idea of Ruby and Jaune playing a prank like this is priceless.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  3. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Agree that's it's funny. Might want to spoiler the ending of your post there, sort of gives the story away.

4. eden

eden First Year

Fixed. Thanks for the reminder.

5. Haze

Haze Second Year

I can't seem to edit any of my posts. Anyways, i am taking this recommendation back. Its been going downhill extremely fast.

Naruto became a submissive bitch for no reason. Forced drama after forced drama. Oh, and now he plans on bringing peace to Remnant.

Indeed, there is no such thing as a good Naruto/RWBY crossover.

6. eden

eden First Year

Why so surprised? I was surprised you recommended it in the first place. This fic has had all the earmarks of a badfic from the beginning, even the technical aspects aside. The OOCness (and not just Naruto's, who is plainly Naruto In Name Only) was merely the first instance. I knew it was gonna be one of *those* fics when

Naruto joined Roman in his heist and was then was promptly betrayed for no good reason. (Well, presumably for the reason to give Naruto a history with Roman and a reason to join the good guys against Roman & co.) That NINO later stole the spotlight from Ruby was another mark against him. The fight against Neo and how that played out, with Neo blushing like a schoolgirl and such, yet another. That he never even tried to see if he can summon the toads and find a way back home was the final nail.
    My SoD was sent to hell never to come back at chapter 4 at the latest.

So yeah, no such thing as a good Naruto/RWBY crossover yet. A pity. Pre-epilogue Naruto with all his powers unchanged in the RWBY world would be an awesome read.

But anyway, here's another recommendation from me that I haven't seen in this thread yet:

Technician
    By: Myareska
    A package arrives at the residence of one Jaune Arc, student of Signal Academy. What he doesn't know, is that what is inside the package will change his life forever - but will it be for the better, or the worse? Watch as a new technical fighter is born. Slightly AU.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure - Ruby Rose, Yang Xiao Long, Jaune Arc - Chapters: 19 - Words: 83,565 - Reviews: 617 - Favs: 1,121 - Follows: 1,369 - Updated: Mar 16 - Published: Dec 16, 2015 - id: 11671628

Summary made me think it's the typical, MC gets OP and utterly OOC type of badfic at first, but I was happily proven wrong. It reads like this is what it could be like if the single point of Jaune never going to a combat school were to change. Jaune's evolution is believable and everything is internally consistent. And his competence is not egregiously OP. But it's the characterizations and character interactions that sell this fic to me. I am especially fond of the last chapter's introduction of Pyrrha, because for once her championship isn't a mere woe-is-me type of plot device.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  7. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

The writing is really painful to get through and aside from a few meta-ish references, the build-up bored me to the point where I didn't make it anywhere near the punchline that's probably coming eventually.

8. eden

eden First Year

Not this time, Fate
    By: Coeur Al'Aran
    When Jaune woke up back in his house with his sisters and family, all he could do was sigh. Every time he died he was forced to start over again, and this was what... the sixtieth time, one hundredth? If it doesn't matter how hard he tries, doesn't matter how much he fights. Then maybe it's time to just kick back and enjoy himself. Fate can find someone else to be its whipping boy.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure/Romance - Jaune Arc - Chapters: 3 - Words: 35,987 - Reviews: 294 - Favs: 988 - Follows: 1,187 - Updated: Apr 1 - Published: Mar 4 - id: 11822902

Won't say more than just that it's a different take on the genre as to not spoil it too much, and though the plot is slow moving, it looks like it's going to be a good fic. Personally, I like the introduced Arc family and its dynamics here.

I've debated whether or not to list this fic here. But if we want Naruto/RWBY crossovers badly enough that "Remnants of a Shinobi" is starting to sound good, then it can't hurt, since it at least tops that one:

Lazy Ninja
    By: FreshNerd
    Kakashi is dropped into the middle of nowhere. The moon is broken into pieces, and he knows he's not in his home world anymore. Now he has to live out the remainder of his life in this strange, but peaceful world.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Kakashi H. - Chapters: 9 - Words: 39,697 - Reviews: 361 - Favs: 619 - Follows: 780 - Updated: Mar 2 - Published: Nov 3, 2015 - id: 11594788

As you can see, it's M-rated, so I won't post the link. But as of chapter 9, there is nothing yet to justify the rating. It's Kakashi during the Kaguya arc, so you know, crazy powerful Kakashi, and his adventures in the RWBY verse. The story has a few problems, but what I like about it is the Kakashi characterization, and the way he has apparently picked up Naruto's bad luck of trouble making a beeline for him. So yeah, a decent enough time waster, and at only 39k words a quick read.

9. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

10. Zeelthor

11. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Anyone still following Arc of the Revolution?

I actually really enjoyed the last arc. The first few chapters were way over the top, but the story did mellow out and start half taking itself seriously. The last few chapters have been the perfect blend of silliness and genuinely interesting plot developments. I could barely stifle laughing on the train this morning reading the newest chapter, but at the same time was actually pretty excited to see what would happen.

Usually not a fan of Jaune as a character (both in canon and in fics), but by avoiding having him interact with any of the Beacon characters, I find myself lacking that irritation completely.

12. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Arc of the Revolution had some really amazing episodes lately, and it's visible how much thought the author put into them. Hell, the premise itself, making Jaune a legendary hero even though his skills are subpar, is being realized successfully, which really impressed me.

Also, he gets the prize of 'most dick jokes in a single chapter'. Seriously, that one had me rolling with laughter.

13. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

He just really, really needs to drop the MGS references. I mean good god they drag you out of the fun instantly, especially when MGS is apparently a thing in universe!

14. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

That's pretty much my take on it. I really like the story and thoroughly enjoy it for what it is, but god damn, the MGS shit is laid on thick. It wasn't bad the first, or even the second time, but we're on what, the 19th? The story has long since jumped the shark in that regard, and it really needs to stop.

15. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Speaking of shit, he vomited all over Winter's windshield and then dumped a septic tank on her. I'm sure the author thought it was funny, but it just made me decide to stop following it. There is a fine line between crack and a challenged twelve year old giggling till his snot bubbles.

16. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Haven't played MGS, so obviously missed the reference.

Do agree that the whole vomit and septic tank was more gross than funny. Especially given how the rest of the story has portrayed him so far.

17. Haze

Haze Second Year

Yeah, while it did not make me drop it or anything, it was pretty annoying. Honestly, just the septic tank would have done. Also agree with the others, there are too many MGS moments.

Overall however, i am still really enjoying it. I really enjoyed the Winter/Jaune interactions and i am wondering where the author plans are going with Penny, given the fact that one version of her is with Jaune and the other (with the actual body) is dreaming of Jaune Arc.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  18. Zeelthor

19. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Tbh, I'd probably enjoy the MGS references if they weren't already present as video games in-universe. Think that's my only real gripe with the story thus far.

20. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not really fanfics but self-made fantrailers by Mark Zhang. Cool animation in the style of RWBY, cool fight scenes and pretty inventive weapons, fitting for the setting.

Charcoal Trailer

Silver Trailer

Veridian Trailer

I love the music in the silver trailer, the fancover of paper Moon but the Viridian Trailer just blew me away. Loving the imagination there, especially when she

fired her bow with her feet, that was just fucking awesome, RWBY style

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016