1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Food Wars / Shokugeki no Souma [Manga/Anime]

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Republic, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mangastream

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Soma: The fuck? Did I just help Central?!

hah

Btw, did the art seem a little wonky in this chapter? Or is it just me?

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Just you, seemed fine to me.

I know we all expect a grand refusal or something, but could the series throw us a curveball with some weird reasoning from Soma?

4. thegreatdar

thegreatdar Squib

I will be sorely disappointed if Souma doesn't at least join to see Central from the inside, and learn from Tsukasa while he's at it. That would be the most interesting route for this manga to go. Reactions to it would be funny to see as well.

5. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

So now both Rindou and Eishi are interested in him on their side.

What I'm curious about though is why they think Soma would want to join. Especially remembering Rindou saying she thought he'd be on their side (Festival Arc)

6. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly Megumi and some others from the 1st years joining would have been a much more interesting path but ehhh. Kind of hoping for a Shokugeki out of this.

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Even if he wants Souma on his team badly enough to make a challenge, I don't see what Eishi could put on the line to make it worthwhile. Even if he bet his First Seat and lost, it'd be Azami picking his replacement.

Then again, it is Souma. He isn't one to back down from a challenge, even when he has nothing to gain and a lot to lose from it.

I can't see him becoming a willing subordinate to another student at the academy, even though he volunteered to help with this lesson. Souma never lets pass a chance to show off, and even he was kicking himself for it this time. Now that he's got that in his mind, no way he accepts this deal without being coerced via losing a shokugeki.

EDIT: Yay typos.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Nothing in this sentence makes sense.

First of all, why would Megumi be taken by Central? Assuming she wants to for whatever reason, why would Central take her, or any of the first years? The only first years that even remotely have enough skill to be considered by Central are the Selection finalists, Alice and Erina (who technically already belongs to Central?). The italian guy whatshisface, too, maybe. Megumi isn't good enough.

Secondly, I challenge the assumption that, even if it happened for whatever reason, Megumi in Central would be more interesting than Soma. Why would it? Nothing we've seen of Megumi points to that assumption, nor for pretty much any of the other first years.

Soma in Central is interesting. Him learning under the First Seat when we know he will eventually move to take down Central is interesting.

You're hoping for a Shokugeki out of ... what exactly? There is no situation, nothing serious happening right now. The offer itself cannot lead to a Shokugeki.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  9. Koalas

High Score:
    Chapter 139? When Azami was laying out Central's ideals? When it specifically zoomed in on Megumi as he talked about talented students being dropped because they didn't improve at a fast enough rate? Megumi went from almost failing to one of the top talents of her year. She could have easily been Central's poster child for how the new system would benefit students.

I'm not saying the manga should have started following Megumi or anything like that. I'm saying a split in the cast along the battle lines could have led to much more interesting personal conflict (and development) then the current one.

Yes, and they also knowing that is going to lead to some fun chapters in the near future.

"Soma lose to me and you become my subordinate. Win and I give you my Seat/one of the abandoned seats/acknowledge you as the best cook at the school/work against central/teach you everything I know/etc"

There is easily a way to frame this to Soma. Play on his pride.

10. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    If a split in the cast did occur, it wouldn't start/happen with Megumi, who has two distinguishing traits to her character. One of those two is loyalty to Soma, and the other isn't going to lead her to Central anytime soon.

11. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

There were places where the art style was very different from normal, in subtle and not so subtle ways. Especially Soma in the last page, it looked like it was either rushed or one of the assistants knocked it out and there wasn't time for the main artist to bring it in line with the normal style.

Or it may possibly have been a deliberate choice, but I'm not familiar enough with manga to know what it was invoking if so.

12. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Holy shit! First Seat Tsukasa challenged Souma to Shokugeki! Tsukasa giving up his seat if he loses and Souma becoming his support if he loses!

Who saw that coming!? I thought he would say no and tell him to fuck off.

13. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Damn. If that goes through, Souma's gonna lose. I'd say that this could be a very interesting turn. Eh, I feel like people could interfere and prevent this from happening, it's way too early for Souma to have a chance against the first seat.

The art was fine this chapter. You can almost see the change in Erina's eyes, there was random fan service, and the challenge shots were pretty epic.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  14. thegreatdar

thegreatdar Squib

Fuck yeah I hoped this would happen. Most interesting way for this story to go, now with a bonus Shokugeki with the 1st Seat to go along with it.

15. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Alice telling Erina what she needs to hear. Grow a fucking spine. If you have a personality, fucking show it.

Surprising fanservice. Surprising but not unwelcome.

As for the Shokugeki, I have no fucking clue. If it goes through, I suppose Souma is joining Central. It's a believable way for him to join, too. Tsukasa is playing on Souma's pride, which as of yet is not quite matched by his skill.
    If Souma declines or they are interrupted, all the better. But I can see this going either way.

Edit: Derp. Last panel Souma is accepting. Again, they could be interrupted before they start, or the match could be invalidated because it's not scheduled, has no judges, etc.

16. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I'm looking forward to Souma losing. He has been the guy at the front of the anti-Central movement from the start, and his absence will give other characters the chance to have some much needed character development.

So who do you think will be the judges for this? I suspect Rindou will show up out of nowhere, and Erina will get roped in as well.

17. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

18. Koalas

High Score:
    :D Was expecting it but still feels good

19. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

Quality fanservice this chapter. Top notch.

20. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Super disappointed that Souma rose to the obvious bait. Hopefully something will happen to derail this train before it reaches the end of its line, because I'd really rather not have to read about the main character being reduced to Tsukasa's bitch.

There's not any value to owning a seat in the Elite Ten as it is right now. Even with a win (it won't happen), Souma will have to just submit to being a Central lackey anyway or else Azami will kick him out of the group like he did to Isshiki and Kuga. Obviously, losing means that he has to essentially forfeit his identity as a chef. Not a good look for someone who is supposed to be at the center of the story. He really ought to have taken a moment to think this through rather than letting his pride override his judgment.