1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Spinoff Movie - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celestin, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I don't think so. But because so many fanfiction authors are completely unimaginative, you can expect many Canon-rehash stories which will basically be novelizations.

2. Greydrone

Greydrone Squib

High Score:
    It's going to be really good or utterly horrific with no middle ground. I'm personally swayed to the horrific side donno why kind of a gut feeling. The feeling that says it's going to be a bad James Bond without a Bond girl and some monsters we will end up not even seeing. But hey I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

3. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A trailer was just released:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViuDsy7yb8M

Very interesting. Based off the trailer, I think the movie might be alright. I think they are going to have action combined with British dry humor. It looks like the main character was expelled from Hogwarts but Dumbledore spoke up for him in some capacity.

However, it does look like there many be muggles finding out about magic. Possible wizards vs muggles?

edit: I watched it again. I really like the look of the movie. They kept the magical wonder in a new country as well as a new time. It looks both old, new and magical.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Magical suitcases to train in over the summer make so much more sense than silly British trunks" I bloody guarantee it.

Trailer also gives us more details as to when Albus began teaching at Hogwarts, if we can take it as canon. Movie takes place in the 1920s and he was already influential enough to argue against the expulsion of a student a little before that. Shaves 18 years off the earliest known date we have.

Edit: What is the status on the canonicity of this film?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The variation of the HP theme was great. Faster and more action-like, but still reminiscent of the original.

The trailer itself showed a lot of action previously not shown, which is nice to know will be in the movie.

6. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm really looking forward to this. Looking at the new trailer, I feel like they've managed to capture the wonder of the first Harry Potter film when Harry discovered magic for the first time; or at the very least the ambiance shown seems to reflect that strongly. Some very good actor and actresses as well.

Damn, first a bunch of Star Wars movies and now more Harry Potter...I love it.

7. Lindsey

Rowling wrote the script, so I'll say it's pretty much canon.

I'd list the sources as:
    Harry Potter Books
    Harry Potter Movies
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Movie Series
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them Book / Quidditch Through the Ages
    Pottermore
    Interviews

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd drop the movies waaay down the list. They frequently directly contradict the books. Consider the question: when does Harry receive his firebolt? In PoA book, it's at Christmas. In PoA movie, at the end of the year.

With respect to the Fantastic Beasts movie, I would say that the script, written by JKR, will be canon, but the movie itself (i.e. the visual effects, casting choices) is not. Same for the Cursed Child play.

9. Lindsey

I forgot this was a thing.

Omg, what a great year for Harry Potter. Not one, but TWO NEW STORIES!

I never thought such a thing would happen after the last movie. Ah, so excited.

10. James

James Unspeakable

Colin Farrell as an auror? awesome.

11. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    As per canon Muggles (the ones that matter in the grand scheme of things anyway) have always known about magic. I really don't get this idea that if there's a breach in the Statute of Secrecy the world would be thrown into World War III or something by the next week

12. Skeletaure

High Score:
    [​IMG]

Screencapped from the newspaper we see in the trailer.

Apprently it says "Gellert Grindelwald International Wizard Hunt Continues". I doubt we'll see him in this movie, but they might be laying down some groundwork for Grindelwald appearing in 2 or 3. Especially if there's a big wizards vs Muggles theme, given that Grindelwald was all about ruling Muggles.

13. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'm sorry but that image you have is so blurry there is no way to read it. As for Grindelwald appearing in the next movies I'm hopeful but I won't hold my breath.

I'm definitely curious how Newt got expelled seeing as his time at Hogwarts probably coincides with Tom getting Hagrid expelled.

14. albeva

albeva Squib

I may be wrong - but Hagrid thing happened in 30s, movie takes in place in 20s. ... so these events are a decade apart.

15. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

According to the HP wiki Hagrid was sorted into Gryffindor in 1940, and was expelled in 3rd year, so yeah your right.

16. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I don't entirely like what Rowling did with the pre-Grindelwald timeline. Like Dumbledore's age (est. 150 in early books vs. 115 in HBP/DH), but most especially my completely refuted headcanon that McGonagall and Riddle were in school at the same time

In any case Dumbledore's certainly old enough to have a solid-ish Hogwarts career; he was in his forties in the Roaring Twenties, and while it's a special case Snape was a long-tenured professor and Head of Slytherin by 31.

17. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Here's another screencap with some added photoshop magic.

http://imgur.com/KFrg8bu

I'd say Taure's source is correct.

18. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Final word is "intensifies" but yeah.

19. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

20. TheMole10

TheMole10 Banned

High Score:
    I would hope that was just a shitty summary or it sounds like they are going to make it yet another 'Hilariously Funny - New York Post' -type movie.
    They could do so much with the base premise, I'd love a March of the Penguins style documentary focusing on the various magical animals.