1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. EmeraldGuardian

EmeraldGuardian First Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually really like this idea. I used to love really over powered Harry stories but surprisingly I'm starting to get tired of them but what I never get tired of is a skilled Harry story, especially post DH. I always felt Harry was above average powerwise but nowhere near Voldemort and Dumbledore in that way. Yet I think he has the capabilty of becoming very skilled and becoming a match for those two in that regard. He would never be able to go brute strength vs brute strength against them but he is very good at thinking in the moment, being fast, and having good reflexes. Putting the wand with Dumbledore under the fidelius charm is a good idea. I feel like Fleur would get along well with this kind of Harry and could easily find herself attracted to him. I'm not sure how she would fit in plotwise but I'm sure it could work.

2. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

If you guys are interested, here's the link to my new fic Into The Dying Light. No Harry/Fleur yet, but it's in the plan. If you go back a few pages, I'm sure you can find the draft idea that was brought forth by this very thread.

3. Kilcavan98

Kilcavan98 Disappeared

High Score:
    Hello all!:) fairly new to this site and am happy to find a thread dedicated to fleur/Harry! I have decided to write a fleur Harry fic which I am Moments away from starting! Any ideas or thing not to do please leave below all help and ideas are welcome

4. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Definitely do Veela bonds and soul bonds those are the most popular.

5. Kilcavan98

Kilcavan98 Disappeared

High Score:
    No way I hate them fics it'll be normal teenage relationship

---------- Post automerged at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 AM ----------

No way I hate fics that have soulbonds or marriage contracts it'll be a normal teenage relationship with Harry and fleur not as mature as they are in other fics they'll be like normal teens

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Clearly, Harry is immune to her Veela Allure (™) which makes him irresistible in Fleur's eyes, because that means he is a man who can see her for who she really is.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it's more about the fact that Fleur appreciates that Harry doesn't drool over her like all the other hormonal boys and she finds his inexperience with girls cute.

8. Kilcavan98

Kilcavan98 Disappeared

High Score:
    See I want it develop naturally like! Like fluer will first notice Harry when he play quidditch(they will be quidditch even though it's a 4th year fic)

9. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

See, a good first step for your fic might be spelling her name right. "Fluer" makes her sound like a fucking illness.

10. Kilcavan98

Kilcavan98 Disappeared

High Score:
    Sorry about that! Didn't mean to spell her name wrong! First chapter up by tonight

11. Hostiel

Hostiel Squib

Make sure to give Fluer a very obvious French accent so we can really hear her voice. And don't just do it for the dialogue--when the story is being told from her point of view, make sure that the narration is with a French accent. If you really want to make sure that the reader is immersed, consider writing the entire story (or just all the dialogue) in French. If you don't know French, I'm sure Google Translate will suffice.

12. Kilcavan98

Kilcavan98 Disappeared

High Score:
    Sorry while I will give fleur a French accent when speaking English they will be very little actual French speaking!

13. James

James Unspeakable

Don't forget that veelas have separate magical core for the allure.

14. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The fuck? Stop trolling, or I'll whack you if OP writes a crapfic. This is still a place for actual help and advice on all matters Fleur.

OP: There's a lot of ideas already in this thread. Feel free to browse and search.

15. Kilcavan98

Kilcavan98 Disappeared

High Score:
    Thank you sesc and I will thank you! If any one has any feel free to drop them below also it'll be up by tonight but proofread by myself so maybe one or two errors not many at all though still looking for a beta any help with that?

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honest advice time: if your posts are an indication of your proficiency with the English language, you WILL need a beta.

17. Kilcavan98

Kilcavan98 Disappeared

High Score:
    It is noticeably better when I write for real but yes a beta is needed

---------- Post automerged at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Fanfiction.net is where I'm posting my first chapter the name is thebolt98 it's going up in approx 15-20 mins

18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you're looking for better feedback, post it in the WbA section first. What critique you get will have more substance than the average FFNet review.

19. Kilcavan98

Kilcavan98 Disappeared

High Score:
    It's up oh god this is so exciting can't wait for a review it even that someone read it

20. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Alright. Let's do this.

First off, your summary.

Fuck no.

Let's list the problems here in the summary alone, okay?

1. No capitalization. It's Hogwarts, not hogwarts; it's Harry, not harry. It's Triwizard Tournament, not triwizard tournament. Fix that.

2. No punctuation. For the love of god, man, where are your periods? Your commas?

Now we come to the real problem, though. These two are big errors already and massive turnoffs, do not get me wrong. I refuse to read your story because of those two things alone.
    But, in the end, those are surface problems. There's a deeper one.

3. You have no real hook. There's nothing that draws me in. It's Harry/Fleur, sure, but it's the most generic kind of Harry/Fleur that exists. Just having Harry/Fleur isn't enough to draw me in, and I am 99% sure it's not enough to draw in any discerning reader - a category among which I count a̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ m̶o̶s̶t̶ several DLP users.

Nothing sets your fic apart from the literal thousands of other H/F fics that exist already - and most of those have passable capitalization going for them as well.

I know you've written 3500 words already, and that's quite a bit, especially if you did it in one day. It's more than some highly acclaimed writers here on DLP seem to write, that's for sure. But your writing, and more importantly your idea, need a lot of work. A lot.