1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Well, that's a good attitude I guess. Still, do try to follow the advices, even if it takes longer than...a day to post your chapters. You'll find that the criticism is worth it when you see a work of higher quality. Trust me, in ff.net the reviewers usually won't point out even the most glaring mistakes, and that'll stunt the improvement of your writing.

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No, you.

If you feel a thread needs control, then use the report post button to draw mod eyes to it. Alternatively, the #report channel on IRC.

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11

3. Kilcavan98

Kilcavan98 Disappeared

High Score:
    I think I'm done correcting at most I might of forgot a few commas but I can not find them for the life of me!. I'm going to check caps quotation and general stuff once more before publishing again

4. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Actually relevant discussion:

How do people feel about the idea of having Harry (and/or Fleur) be in a relationship with other people before they get together? Basically, they're not each other's first romantic interest.

5. mort

mort Groundskeeper

something that's totally in line with how canon and how any sensible author would have it? seriously, how bad are first dates and first romantic partners in real life? writing or reading through that is just not my cup of tea.

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It's sort of preferred. Falling in love with the first person you date and spending the rest of your life with them is not very realistic (though obviously it does happen, but not at the frequency that is portrayed in fanfiction). For example, in my story, Harry dates Lavender first, though it's a of a bit heavy handed attempt to subvert the falling-in-love-at-first-sight trope that was just mentioned.

7. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Perhaps at Ordinary level.

Here is how marks are awarded:

• Clarity of Purpose (P) 30% of the marks available for the task
    • Coherence of Delivery (C) 30% of the marks available for the task
    • Efficiency of Language Use (L) 30% of the marks available for the task
    • Accuracy of Mechanics (M) 10% of the marks available for the task

Keep that in mind when you sit your exams next year, if you have already completed them: At least you can do a basket weaving class in Cavan.

8. Kilcavan98

Kilcavan98 Disappeared

High Score:
    English is easy learn your poems and quotes and certain set answer which Tou change slightly to fit s question in the exam easy A

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yeah. Let's not talk about that. Write him a profile message if you need to Skykes. I don't think he saw you're from Ireland.

Also, forum's closed for the story until it appears in the WbA. Last topic here was: Do you agree that a sensible thing is sensible.

10. PetePro

PetePro Muggle

High Score:
    Hello everyone, I love HP/FD and plan to write a time-travel fic involving the two.

-I need some opinions about certain things.

-What do you guys think about a unicorn as the patronus form for Fleur? How about a swan? They are resembling to Ginny's and Cho's patronus as intended. I personally prefer the unicorn because it suits Harry's but swan is cool too.

-Is it a good idea to create some fanon details like new spells, new artifacts and expending the lore behind the veela? I have some cool ideas about the veela and their society but i concern that readers don't care about that and it will turn them off.

-How are the interactions between Fleur and Harry's inner circle? Does Fleur call Ginny and Ron by their full first-name like she does to Bill?

-How to write two POV effectively?

-Finally, this is my first fanfic in English and English is not my mother tongue, but i want to finish the fic before i post it on the Internet. Do you guys have any advises about that?

11. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

A simple canon-divergence would be for Harry to enjoy his Yule Ball date with Parvati. It's not true love, but fueled by puberty he seeks the company of a pretty girl, thoughts about shared interests or deep and meaningful conversations are an afterthought.

You could take this one step further and make her his hostage in the lake. Wet and cold clinging to each other, throw in Fleur in a swimsuit thanking him and you have a recipe for an awkward teenage romance (subplot).

12. Halt

Patronus should offer readers a deeper understanding of the issues a character deals with and how they overcome that. This thread describes it perfectly. If you're just choosing arbitrarily, you might as well be asking us what our favorite animals are which is a pointless discussion.

Fanon stuff - ask yourself what these contribute to your narrative. Otherwise, it's clutter the reader doesn't need to know, doesn't care about and hurts the story.

Inner circle - there's this great new English word called "friends". Have you heard of it? It's easy to type and 100% less cringe to read. As for how they interact, that's up to you. It can go several ways. Also, what they call each other has to be the least important thing for you to worry about if you're writing them.

POVs - By writing well.

Advice - Depending on length, you might burn out faster that way. Post on the Work By Author section to get feedback.

13. James

James Unspeakable

Ginny and "Phlegm" had a sort of a cold war going on, when Fleur was marrying Bill. I wonder how closer they might be if Fleur "stole" Ginny's life's love interest / knight in white armour.

/sarcasm

I actually think that finding "true love(TM)" in scope of one story is 99% bullshit (as in, I believe it might happen. It's just not probable). My experience tells me that puberty is far more messy than even few people - especially if we take into account Harry's friends: at least one or two should have much more casual experience, if not Harry.

But then again, I'm not English, so it might be cultural.

Ha! How to not write bullshit in five simple steps. Well said.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  14. Kilcavan98

Kilcavan98 Disappeared

High Score:
  15. mort

mort Groundskeeper

(a) wrong place to post if you want critique/constructive criticism.
    (b) still shit.
    (c) please stop (posting here instead of the wba).

16. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Dude. Aren't you just telling him to plagiarize me? :)

17. Halt

Why fix what works? :sherlock:

18. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just to bring this matter to a temporary close, Kilcavan98 is on vacation for a while. His attempt at a WbA thread has gone with him.

19. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

I just picked Parvati, because she's handy to use. She is the prime candidate for Harry to learn to walk with before he runs with Fleur.

Basically the journey is the reward for that particular episode in Harry's life.

You start with canon, a nervous Harry mans up and asks Parvati to be his date, and work your way through awkwardness, more nervousness and inexperience until Harry is confident and comfortable enough to enjoy his time with a pretty girl.

You also have to take into account, that Harry shortly before was turned down by Cho.

20. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is Harry/Fleur any more ridiculous/unrealistic than Harry/Tonks?