1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Did anyone else feel like they were setting up a potential marriage between Daenerys and Jon? Because Jon just literally became the most eligible bachelor in Westeros. He is basically the only male besides Robin... Lannisters aren't an option, no male Tyrells, Martells or Greyjoys, the Edmund Tully has a child already, I suppose there is still the Tarlys but I don't see them as that important. The North would be largely separate from the other seven Kingdoms and Jon is DAKINGADANORF, so a marriage would be pragmatic. Not sure how I feel about this, it seems too neat and like wish fulfilment. What are your thoughts on this guys?

2. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

Daenerys is Jons' Aunt, so I doubt they will get married.

3. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Hmmm, pies in the Finale made me very happy. Pies galore.

4. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    So you're saying incestuous marriages don't happen between Targaryens? Don't forget that they may not know of Jon's heritage at that point. Yes we the audience know this shocking revelation... but Jon sure as hell isn't speculating he may be Rhaegar's son.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Before the next season's productions starts in a few weeks and there will be some leaks about what will happen next, some predictions and wishes.

I suspect that we will get the tourney at Harrenhal for few reasons. For one, it will help further establish Jon's parentage. And t's about time we got full explanation for Rhaegar's actions and meet the man himself. Last reason is that while the Hand's tourney from the season one was nice, but it was rather small. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers wanted to do one with the budged they have now.

Other thing they may want to do is a sea battle. It's something they have yet to do in the show and what's a point of introducing two fleets with 1000 ships if you will not have them fight?

If Euron will steal a dragon, I expect some epic dragon vs. dragon battle though maybe in the season eighth.

For other setbacks that Dany may suffer, I suspect the Dothraki may have a hard time dealing with the winter. It would be quite telling if she lost most of her personal army to cold before they even had a chance to fight for her.

The Wall coming down will definitely happen and most likely will be the last scene of the season.

6. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

That music from the tower of joy scene leading to the present was on point.

Expecting a scene like:

Bran: You're not a Stark, Jon!
    Jon: I've been saying that since s1.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Might happen, but if it does, I expect there won't be be any romance. It'll be all about duty and politics. Both Jon and Dany are too wrapped up in former deceased loves.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know he's most likely dead or a crazed stone man at this point, but I will keep hoping for Jorah's return.

9. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I kind of expect them both to die defeating the Others while riding dragons and leave everyone else behind with the rubble. They'll leave all the magic in the setting going back to dormancy and the survivors left to pick up the pieces as the squabbles the apocalypse buried start boiling up again.

10. syed

syed Supermod

Bran will never walk, but will fly, makes it seems that he will fly a dragon. I hope bringing fire dragons to the battle, will cause ice dragons to appear. Just as the original dragons were lava creatures, could the white walkers draw their power from the ice dragons?

If the night king is killed, will the other white walkers be destroyed? So the threat forever destroyed. It might even allow for the seasons be easier to endure. If the others are destroyed, could the wall weaken from th loss f the enemy they are aimed at? It might be that westeros will finally be united, even the lands beyond the wall.

Dany might just help deal with the Lannister forces in the south. Then soak up major casualties against the undead. Just how many of the horse lords are in the invasion. The free cities might attempt to move against what is left in Essos.

11. Mestre

Mestre Professor

12. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Hadn't even considered the Sun on the pommel with a bloody sword could also be what that means. Damn GRRM and his tricky prophecies!

13. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

You know that's Dawn right? Sword supposed to be made from metal forged in the heart of a star, etc. It's a nice touch and the camera focused on the sword pretty blatantly so it definitely has meaning.

14. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I found an interesting article of speculations about the end of Game of Thrones what do you guy's think?

15. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Cersei survives season 7, she has two more years of contract I believe. Correct me if I am wrong.

Arya will go North with the news of King Snow, she will see Clegane on the way.

16. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Giving Arya just one death on her list would be an anticlimax and she has no real role to play against the others.

Then again, how do you fit her story in? Surely Cersei must end up fleeing as King's Landing falls to Dany and maybe Arya tracks her down over the course of two to three episodes but those would be stale and boring. Not without precidant.

My guess is that Arya doesn't entirely get away with betraying the Faceless men and has to face Jaqen again at some point. This girl went off and became a badass assassin with a list only to return with a vengeance and have find out that most of those people are already dead.

The wall falling at the end of next season seems late. Winter has come and the pieces are on the board. The only possible delay I can see is Bran somehow delaying the advance of the others.

I'm assuming that Dany will conquer the south handily, come up against fierce resistance in the north where her soldiers are unaccustomed to fighting and dragons are used. I expect Jon to warg into a dragon and as a result Jon and Dany meet.

Near the end of the season R+L=J is confirmed for the characters and Jon and Dany reconcile in the face of the threat from the north.

Also.

Tyrion gets a dragon. After that scene with Viseryon he has to.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  17. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    What about the smoke? Lyanna was crying so that could be the salt, so where is the smoke?

18. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I have no idea why people believe in Dany. Tyrion especially. What was it that convinced him? His support of her has always felt forced, never moreso than now.

More generally, I have never understood why people, characters and fans alike, support her. Seriously ... why? How is she any better than any of the others in Westeros? Just because she has three flying nukes at her (sometimes) beck and call?

Similarly, I never much cared for R+L=J. I was actually hoping it wouldn't be true. I never much cared for the Targaryens in general. They've mostly been terrible people and/or rulers, and that includes Rhaegar. No, especially him.

I seriously don't get why so many people have hardons for the Targs.

I had a laugh at Jon and Sansa having a laugh over 'Winter has come'. Fanservice, perhaps, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Well, Cersei is insane and we all knew that, but tbh I can't really care too much. Everyone who died I was hoping would die, and we have yet to see UnGregor actually go on a murder spree so I'm still looking forward to that. Cersei dying will probably be the high point of the next season.

People keep speaking of Teleportation, but Arya is the master of the art. Fun as it was knowing she butchered the Freys, the fact that it makes little sense and had no setup at all detracts from it, a lot.

Sansa giving Littlefinger the finger was great.

Lyanna Mormont is, once again, the real MVP. King in the North indeed.

The more we approach the endgame and the more Dany is hyped the more annoyed I get. No matter how many times you polish it, a turd is a turd, and I wish the storyline didn't feel the need to strongarm Dany into a role she is clearly ill suited for.

Edit2: Imagine how much better the Winterfell scenes would have been with Ghost present.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the music this episode was amazing.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  19. Mestre

Mestre Professor

When he died in the books.

"Jon fell to his knees. He found the dagger's hilt and wrenched it free. In the cold night air the wound was smoking."

20. Damask

Damask Seventh Year

That was one packed episode. Amazing how they managed to include a lengthy sequence at the very beginning showing characters prepare for the "great day ahead", include one agonizing sequence with Lancel slowly crawling to his death, and still be done with the burning of King's Landing in the first third of the episode.

Liked how Cersei planned to forbid her son to go to the chapter, but as soon as unGregor was off to sodomize Septa Unella, he went and became an hero. (Btw, about the septa: it goes to show how batty Cersei is that she was incredulous when the septa told her that she did, after all, believe in the Seven and did it all for her faith, when Cersei was expecting that every other person who makes others suffer has the same motivations as she does, i.e. cruelty.)

Pycelle's death was pretty brutal, as was Frey's. Loved the look on Jaime's face when he was forced by circumstances to sit and watch despicable old Frey prattling on. Also, the knowledge that that serving girl was Arya gives a whole new meaning to her staring and smiling at Jaime. Happy hunting, girl.

Goddammit, Sam is awkward as hell. Good job, actor. And the library at Oldtown was all the more impressive when considering that this is a world without the printing press, where most people are illiterate.

Davos's actor did a fantastic job raging at Mel.

The ToJ scene was a total tease, but as we've seen previously, the fandom has ways around that. On the subreddit, there were people (including a trained lip reader) speculating on what Lyanna said to Ned. Apparently she named her child Aerys. No, it doesn't make any sense to name him after the Mad King, even Rhaegar knows better than that, let alone Lyanna, but the folks are saying it couldn't have been anything else. Two-syllable word, one syllable looks like "air", there's an "s" at the end and a "r" in the middle. All preceded by "his name is...". Whatever. Goodbye Jon Snow, hello Aerys III Targaryen, Kingindanorf. (See, they're following the old fanfiction rule which says never to let your main hero have a plain-ass name like Harry or Jon.)

The scene with Varys in Dorne, and then with him by Dany's side, going to Westeros, made me do a double-take. Somebody's been borrowing Littlefinger's teleporter...

This is nitpicky as hell, but I didn't like how, in that last shot with Dany's ships (fucking finally) she and all her clique looked so... posed. You're not just going to stand there, not talking to each other, for the whole duration of the journey, I hope... Well, at least she travels on a ship like a normal person this time, rather than on Drogon's back.

Oh, yeah -- and, like the others said, fantastic music.