1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Go

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Feoffic, Sep 10, 2015.

?

What brand is your underwear?

1. Instinct

28.1%
  2. Mystic

43.9%
  3. Valor

28.1%
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hah, so not fair! From what I've been hearing otherwise, most people can only find about 80-100 locally.

I haven't found any good spots for specific pokemon. My alma mater has a good circuit of 5 pokestops that I can walk through, and usually 3 of them have lures. But no 'nests' yet, or places where I can farm for a specific pokemon.

After Pidgeys and Rattatas seems like Weedles, Caterpies, Venonats, Zubats, and Evees are what I've caught the next most of. Makes sense, given how many bugs are in the Deep South.

2. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

Check parks. Those tend to be what get turned into nests, or at least in South Florida that's how it is.

3. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

So I just got the game and I'm hoping someone can help me out here... my issue is that I've caught multiple of one pokemon and I'm wondering what to look for in determining which one to pick as "the one" to level up?

For example, I have:

Poliwag #1: CP 48
    HP 18
    Attacks: Bubble - 15
    Body Slam - 50

Poliwag #2: CP 10
    HP 10
    Attacks: Bubble - 15
    Mud Bomb - 25

Poliwhirl - CP 16
    HP 13
    Attacks: Mud Shot - 12
    Bubble Beam - 25

So looking at those, my poliwag #1 is actually stronger than my Poliwhirl... should I be turning Poliwhirl into candy or is the evolution better?

There is a similar issue with Rattata, Pidgey etc. where the moves are different between the different 'mons and I'm not sure how to value them. I don't need a team of Rattata's, but how should I pick the one to focus on?

4. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

So you shouldn't level any up for a long time.

See, pokemon you catch/own can only be as high level as you are.

If you're level 5, you'll only see/catch pokemon that are level 1-5.

But say you're level 10. Now you see/catch pokemon that are 1-10. A pokemon you catch now is stronger then one you trained up to level 8.

It's better to hoard dust for much later on, and candies for mass evolutions (which is the most efficient way to level up).

5. Duke of Rothwood

Well this probably going to be a question that's going to embarrass me but.... how do I know what level my pokemon is? I know what their CP is, but how do I tell the level (also, why the distinction?)

Thanks for the advice though, I'll save candies for later on

6. jwlk

jwlk Seventh Year

Typically, the higher the CP of the pokemon, the better (and less candy/dust you have to invest to have it be the highest level possible)

What he's trying to say is you might catch a poliwag at level 5 (with CP of 40), but when you level up to 10, you might see one with CP of 200.

So generally everything you catch right now ill be useless in a few levels, and thats a trend that will follow until you level off around ~20.

7. Duke of Rothwood

Ah that makes sense, thanks!

8. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Evee Evolution Easter Egg: Name the evee Rainer, Pyro, or Sparky (including the capital first letter) to ensure you get a Vaporeon, Flareon, or Jolteon respectively. Most evidence for this is anecdotal, but it seems like a lot of folks have tried it and succeeded. This may be temporary, so take advantage of it while you can.

9. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Dust cost per upgrade. Cost goes up every 4~ levels.

10. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I've stopped all upgrades until I'm lvl 30. I have like 180k dust saved.

11. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is it confirmed? The lvl30 thing?

I'm not even wasting my Gastly candy if that's the case...

12. Evan Tide

Only from data mining.

And TBH, you should be hunting for the best IVs and move sets for your gengars until 30. It'll cost like 20k more dust to max upgrade a lvl 20 gastly from a lvl 30 anyways. NBD in the long term.

13. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Another little online thing that might help, and will get better the more people use it:

Pokemon Radar Go

It looks like it might be down currently (and has been for ~11 hours, as of their Facebook), but it's a website/app that you mark your current location, and whatever pokemon you've found there. Other users can then up/downvote based on usefullness. Currently, it won't be very good - there's two other users in my town, and both of them seem to be downvoting the other (or there's a third user who hates everyone). But with more people, you'll get better results.

And whilst pokemon spawn sites do move and change, I don't know if they are on a cycle or not. Hopefully, this will help pin it down.

Also, I got something weird a few days back. I had a 10K egg, that hatched whilst phone was in my pocket. My friend yells out "holy shit a dratini!", and proceeds to catch it. I check my phone, and there's nothing nearby.
    I check my most recent, and it turns out the egg just hatched... Into a dratini.

A quick check on the more popular subreddits indicates that this might have happened to a few people. Anyone else experienced this? And does it mean we should hold hatching parties?

14. Evan Tide

Finally got enough to evolve Venusaur. Needed a decent Vaporeon Slayer. Hoping he has Vine Whip.

EDIT: also feeling like the Lone Ranger in my town. Like I'm the only Valor member besides some newbies, so I just run around stomping the crap out of enemy team gyms so the newbs can get some coins.

As in, I'm the only Valor guy I've seen with units at 1.8k+ while I've been fighting 10+ different blue names and at least 3 yellow names with equivalent fire power.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  15. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I haven't noticed that specifically but did notice quite often eggs just hatched with out any screen or sound.

Also I got 8 evees in 1 hour... Officially the most common Pokemon in my area, which makes the two 10k ones I've hatched especially annoying.

16. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:

Some kids found a dead body chasing pokemon.

17. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    And another pokemon finder.

PokeVision

Apparently it looks up the data from Niantic's API, and shows you the real time location of pokemon. Again, I haven't tested it, so I can't tell you it's definitely accurate.

18. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

That's how it is in Memphis too. They have maps of pokemon locations for cities. I'm going park crawling this weekend.

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

This is really, really useful. Thanks!

20. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pokevision is legit. I know it's legit because there's goddamn nothing around me.

It might get pulled by Niantic at some point, but with the tracker in-game not working at the moment, this thing is super cool to use.

Checking out some popular locations, though.. Jesus christ, just look at central park. I'm feeling the imbalance of living in a less populous place as time goes on.