1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Totally agree that the receptacle for a horcrux has to be meaningful and significant to the soul in order to house a piece of it. One of a billion grains of sand isn't going to pass muster.

Also, I'm still of the belief that the detached soul tends to get drawn back to the last-made horcrux if the original body has become unusable, so tossing it into a deep trench or into the emptiness of space would be counter-productive. I don't think a wandering soul has much ability to interact with the world unless it uses some other body as an interface, so in terms of finding nearby bodies to possess, those remote or random hiding spaces would be more trouble than safe.

Riddle's soul was found by Quirrel and by Wormtail in Albania because of a suspicious lack of wildlife near it. Wormtail's rodent buddies essentially said 'something in that hole eats critters in a scary way, so keep away, dude'.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

End of discussion. Read the rules again.

3. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

During every fic that involves Fudge. There is a sentence from Fudge that says something along the lines of "That would end my career." is this real or a dig at canon Fudge?

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's canon precedent from the end of GoF:

5. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Apologies if this has already been asked but I already looked through most of this thread.

Okay, so if floo travel is described as

"It felt as though he was being sucked down a giant plug hole. He seemed to be spinning very fast ... the roaring in his ears was deafening ... he tried to keep his eyes open but the whirl of green flames made him feel sick ... Something hard knocked his elbow and he tucked it in tightly, still spinning and spinning ... now it felt as though cold hands were slapping his face ... squinting through his glasses he saw a blurred stream of fireplaces and snatched glimpses of the rooms beyond ... his bacon sandwiches were churning inside him ... He closed his eyes again wishing it would stop, and then - he fell, face forward, onto cold stone and felt his glasses shatter." (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, At Flourish and Blotts, 41-2)

Ignoring the inconsistent capitalisation after way too may ellipses.

Then how to people just stick their heads in for the telephone version that suddenly appears in the Goblet of Fire? How does the floo know to project an image as opposed to transporting only the head into the fire? Because I can only imagine the ramifications on the body if only the head was floo transported to another fireplace... So basically my question is dafuq JKR? And DLP guys, explain to me how you guys have reconciled this problem in your minds, because I haven't been able to satisfactorily in mine.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What makes you think it's just projecting an image? I always assumed it was literally transporting just your head.

7. Sesc

It's definitely not an image, because in GoF Mrs. Weasley feeds whoever called something of whatever she made. So, what Taure said. That was always my idea of it as well.

8. MrSam

MrSam Third Year

Where did Hagrid got Fluffy, he seems to be a new species of magical animal.

9. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

"Yeah — he's mine — bought him off a Greek chappie I met in the pub las'
    year."

Quoted from the Philosopher's Stone

10. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Hagrid got Fluffy from a Greek chappie. Not sure why you've got the impression that it's a new species of animal, especially given how much Rowling has borrowed from Greek mythology and how the Cerberus/Hellhound is a well-known thing from it.

Edit: Damn Ninjas beating me by a few seconds.

11. MrSam

MrSam Third Year

Because he dosn't appear in the book fantastic creatures :p

12. Tragen

Tragen Squib

Is there anything in canon that mentions the effects of a potion being permanent beyond poisons? Draught of Living Death is as far as I know only mentioned as “powerful” by Snape in Harry’s first class with the man.

13. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Skelegrow isn't temporary in results, though the hastened bone growth is temporary. Same applies to Blood Replenisher, though Arthur Weasley had to take a new dose every hour while they were fighting Nagini's venom at St. Mungo's. Hermione's cat form caused by mis-using Polyjuice Potion was not likely to wear off- they had to subject her to weeks of various treatments in order to restore her humanity.

14. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As for Hermione, that's a misuse of potions (the potion was intended to change into another human, only). I think the question was more along the lines of "Does proper potion use create permanent change." As with most things, misusing something bad enough can have lasting bad implications.

15. Tragen

Tragen Squib

Could the Disarming Charm be countered? The lexicon mentions that curses, hexes, and jinxes are classified of Dark Charms.
    We can reasonably extrapolate that counter-curses can be employed while a curse is in the process of being used (Snape countering Quirrell’s jinx on Harry’s broom). Additionally, we know for sure that they can be used to reverse a curse’s effect (Snape undoing the damage of Sectumsempra). With this in mind, anti-jinx or counter-jinx would be another term to describe counter-curse. So Expelliarmus could feasibly be rendered useless yes?

16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not quite the disarming charm, but Harry and others have managed to protect against summoning. Harry did it with a standard protego and I believe others have blocked his disarming charm before, though I can't recall where.

17. Sesc

The Snape/Quirrel thing in PS is an aberration that is never used again, so I dunno how useful it is as an example. Snape's spell in HBP is called a countercurse, but that is irrelevant as far as charms go. I also didn't get your first sentence ("are classified of Dark Charms?")

All that aside, a shield charm protects, among other things, against spells. Specifically, the Killing Curse is singled out because it can't be blocked that way. So I see no reason why it shouldn't block a disarming charm -- the burden of proof would be to show otherwise, anyway.

18. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

It also implies that a potion could have permanent effects, say if someone wanted to turn half feline.

19. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Why would you want to be half feline? Unless the were going to join the DC universe.

20. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'd imagine the furry scene in the HP universe is pretty wild.