1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

As long as we're recommending crossovers, Remnant which has Pyrrha in the Dresdenverse isn't bad.

I might be biased as someone who's written a bit of a Jaune centric piece, but Jaune is the everyman of the cast. He's easy for readers to follow along with making him closer to Harry Potter than Neville. Everyone else has overarching plots, Jaune simply wants to be a hero and is bad at it. That background is much easier to swap around without removing the core of a character.

2. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Jaune was a tremendous waste of space in the series due to how time constrained it was. The fandom loves him as it's a male character to imprint on and the everyman which gives them double points.

3. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

I don't mind Jaune because he has yet to get a dozen power-ups so it works okay even if RWBY in general suffered from too little time to properly cover things. Rather tired of characters getting extremely powerful through 'hard work'(read not at all) while it is continuously said they are not in any way talented.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

To be fair, Jaune in the show has a fair amount of natural talent; in the show he went from completely useless with zero training to on par with (maybe even slightly better than) the members of CRDL in something like 6 months, when they'd had years of training on him. That alone shows he's got no small amount of natural ability that simply never got the chance to express itself, for whatever reason.

5. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  6. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Mm...does anyone else ever feel weird when reincarnation or peggy sue stories have--like in this case--a twenty-seven year old paired with a seventeen year old, especially when the former is vastly more informed about and woes the latter?

It's nowhere near as bad as the HP and Naruto ones that go back to when they were twelve, but still...keep of creepy there, Ruby. Especially with that first meeting there...

7. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

It's all in your mind. An illusion. Girls do it all the time IRL where they shack up with older men.

8. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Hrnglbe.

It's the first RWBY fic in a few months I haven't figuratively thrown down in disgust literally minutes into it, so, points for that.

Characters come across passably as their canon selves, which is always nice.

The fact that it was heavily inspired by Nightmares of Futures Past should have probably set off a bigger alarm bell, tbh. The angst / wallowing is pretty heavy-handed.

Waaaaaaay too much action. The action scenes feel like they're 50+% of the narrative, and they're not written well enough to justify it.

Automatic -1 for apostrophe abuse.

Automatic -1 for apostrophe abuse in the form of multiple its/it's conflations.

Automatic -1 for more than a single "the heiress" / "the brawler" (etc) name replacement per chapter.

Ruby has a couple good moments but it's almost like she snaps in and out of being a real character; she sometimes (frequently) can't keep her shit together, and it's not really in an interesting way. Time-traveling characters not being able to deal with being in the past / having traumatic memories of the future can certainly work well and be compelling - Backwards With Purpose comes to mind? - but this is about a C, C minus on that scale.

I'll probably read the next few updates, as it seems like the action-heavy initiation stuff is over, but, meh. Didn't really hook me.

9. Download

High Score:
    I only looked back over the first chapter but I don't see the apostrophe abuse. All I see are a few errors here and there that suggests more proof-reading is needed.

10. ImaNuke

ImaNuke Squib

High Score:
    Ryuugi's GamerXRWBY Crossover does tend to get a little word vomity now and then.
    Coeur Al Aran at FF.N has some well written RWBY Fics.
    Most of them are centered around Jaune.

I recommend Professor Arc.It's a story with one major change.What if Jaune Arc was accepted into Beacon not as student,but as a teacher.

Needless to say Hilarity ensues.

11. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

Had high hopes when I started reading it, was terribly disappointed.

Hilarity did not ensue.

12. ImaNuke

ImaNuke Squib

High Score:

To each their own,I guess.
    Got any other RWBY fics you could point me to?

13. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Coeur isn't the greatest writer, but he writes a lot and updates like clockwork so I like him.

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I like Professor Arc even though I really didn't want to. Uses a lot of tropes I usually hate and it is not really a good story but it is fun enough and updates regularly enough to make me enjoy it.

15. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

Pretty sure it's already been recommended somewhere, but I really enjoyed OneirosTheWriter's Four Deadly Sins.

Those tropes are what killed it for me. The clumsy writing only exacerbated the issues, and helped destroy whatever suspension of disbelief I had. Coeur also seems to really, really, really like (self-insertish) Jaune, which was off-putting to me.

16. Download

High Score:
  17. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I like Coeur. He's about the only author who does not write yuri pairings and has a decent grammar and innovative ideas.

I just really really hate girl/girl because canon RWBY never referenced any of that stuff.
    Deep friendships maybe, but never romantic interest.

18. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

19. Download

High Score:
    I have a feeling this has been recc'ed before: Light at the End - Metro 2033/RWBY

I'm kind of pissed off because people writting shitty omakes keep bumping the thread.

20. Download

High Score: