1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Sales & Gifts Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

If anyone wants to play Skullgirls, if only to meet Xandrel's avatar in person, I have a Contributor Level 1 giveaway for it ending tomorrow at 7:30pm (EST).

I have an extra key for it and I'm mainly making the giveaway to sniff out people using bots to enter giveaways... because they irritate me. :fire

Bearing that in mind, comment on the giveaway page with nothing but "WL" and I'll put you on my white list; not that I give away many games (nor can I), but why not?

2. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Always wanted to play this game, thanks bunches!

3. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I got an extra copy of Civ 5 I'm willing to trade or whatever. No DLC with it, just the base game.

Edit - Gone, sorry!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Tropico 4 is for free on the Humble store.

Is it worth picking up the skyrim mods right now or should I wait until the remastered edition comes out?

5. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

If you happen to be playing it on PS4, don't bother because Sony put the kibosh on mods.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  6. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Everything on the Origin store, excluding preorders, are 50% off with promo code ORIGIN50

There is currently an error and Watch Dogs 2 has been included in that promo, so you can get the Deluxe Edition (Europe only) or Gold Edition (NA) for 50% off

Bioware points (For ME2/ME3 DLC) is also included but must be bought through the Origin client only

7. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The Battlefield 4 DLCs are all free at the moment, up til the 20th.

If you don't have BF4 yet, you can get it for 50% off with promo code ORIGIN50, as Big Z mentioned above. I beliebe you can also just get the DLCs now and the base game later.

8. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Anyone interested in Elite Dangerous Horizons season pass, it's on sale now. Apparently it's the cheapest it's been.

9. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Picked it up, looks gorgeous...

But the tutorial system is shit.

"Watch this video to learn how to do it."
    "To go forward, press the thrust button. To go up, press the right stick up".

Oh, great help there. I just have to look harder to find the sticks on my fucking keyboard. And I have no desire to hunt through the whole keybinding menu.

Is it really that difficult to make pop ups of "press W to go forward, or R to go up"

Anyone got a link to a decent PC based tutorial? I'm about to start ObsidianAnt's, but it's an hour long, and I'm just about to head out. I want to actually get some time on it when I get back.

10. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Honestly, the game is VERY difficult learning curve wise. All of the tutorials are either mediocre or long winded. (My experience)

I got lucky in that my brother was already playing the game when I joined.

Most important thing to do is probably go into the control's and keybind some stuff. (Get rid of the Eject All keybind, it's cancer. It literally jettisons your cargo, which will make you hate everything if you do it accidentally.)

Also, whenever you go to dock with something. Press '1', Press 'E' until you're in the contacts sub-menu, and target the station you want to dock with when you're 7.5km~ (Or closer) and ask to dock.

If you try to enter a station without asking to dock you can and will eventually be fired upon, and will be Fined.

First, best video tutorials are probably located at
    Other good resources are the reddit, which has a very good community. (And, surprise! A lot of new people to the game on it, because of both the sale and the flop that was No Man's Sky.)
    The Reddit

However, I will give you some tips in a spoiler here.

Right, so first things first. Unless you want to interact with other players, and risk getting pirated/etc. Play in Solo, at least at first.

Also, the main method of travelling around in system is called supercruise.

When you're in Supercruise, you can be Interdicted and pulled out into normal space. You'll be able to tell by your supercruise going all wonky and a thing popping up around your crosshairs with a red and blue vertical line.

This is always a hostile action. When you're just starting off in the game, it's better to submit by reducing your speed to 0. (Or you can try to fight it, by keeping your crosshairs pointed at the 'escape' target, usually pretty difficult.)
    Important Note: If you fight an interdiction, and fail to escape, you get dropped out of SC, and your ship takes DAMAGE.
    If you submit, your ship doesn't take damage, and your ship (and FSD)recovers faster than the interdictor's ship. This allows you to orient and start boosting away in order to re-engage your FSD.

(You can see an example of an interdiction at about 13 minute mark of the first video I linked)

Eject All -UNBIND THIS. DO NOT HAVE THIS BOUND TO ANY KEY. (Nothing will make you more frustrated than to be doing a cargo/mining haul, and accidentally eject all your goods.

Ultimately, if you need any help, feel free to ask questions on the forums (There is a thread for the game somewhere...) or on steam.

Edit:
    List of best things to have keybound/know where they are.
    Landing Gear -is default 'L'
    Under Flight Rotation
    Yaw Left/Right - I have it set to Q/E

Under Flight Throttle/Thrust
    Throttle Up/Down -For me it's set to R/F respectively
    Thrust Up/Down/Left/Right -I've got this as WASD
    Engine Boost -I have it set to Tab (Useful for when you need to scoot outta a fight)

Under Flight Miscellaneous
    Toggle Frameshift Drive -Default is 'J' I believe, basically you hit this to travel to your target detinations.
    Enable Frameshift Drive to Supercruise -I mapped this to Left Alt, it allows you to enter Supercruise within a system without having a destination targeted.

Under Targeting
    Select Target Ahead
    Cycle Next Target
    Select Highest Threat
    Cycle next sub-system -Let's you target specific modules on the enemy ship. (Good ones to try to take out are power plant, thrusters, etc.)
    Target Next System in Route -Default is "O" I believe, basically if you're doing a multi-jump trip, and get interdicted, press it and then engage FSD to escape.

Also, as a note. If you look at the bottom right of your screen as you're flying, you'll notice that you have a thing that shows how your ships power is being directed. Pressing the arrow keys on your keyboard modifies how they're set.
    (Down Arrow resets it to 2/2/2, Left is SYS, Up is ENG, Right is WPN)

More power to SYS strengthens your shields
    ENG makes your ship a bit faster (and let's you boost more often)
    WPN let's your weapons fire longer before the capacitor is empty.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  11. The Iron Rose

Have a giveaway!

[​IMG]

Only for folks in Europe, Canada, the Middle East, and Africa.

12. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

These couple posts you made have led to me buying the game. (Your fault, you terrible person.)

I spent a couple of hours on it so far... And I watched like three hours of videos in addition to that.

I can land on a space station, but it's gonna take me days of practice to be able to stand up to anything more dangerous than a gas canister floating in space.

If this didn't require quick reactions, I'd probably love it to bits, as all the tech and especially the way FTL works appear great.

13. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

Fiddle with the key bindings. I put wasd as thrusters, qe as roll, mouse as yaw/pitch, and mouse buttons as throttle. There's a few other things too, and they probably aren't optimised, but it's good enough to fly around and go bounty hunting with.

I started using some of these, and worked from there.

Just remember that it doesn't auto-save changes to key-bindings.

14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

One of the best things to learn about space combat is when and how to disengage thrust compensation.

15. The Iron Rose

One more giveaway:

[​IMG]

16. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

The new Stellaris DLC is out, and the Plantoids dlc is on sale for 25% off this weekend it seems.

I totally got the new dlc, but that planetoids is till pricey.

17. The Iron Rose

From the new humble bundle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

They need to do a couple more rounds of Humble Bundle that isn't just indie garbage.

19. The Iron Rose

You kidding? This newest bundle is great. Oxenfree is fucking spectacular - bought it at $10 2 weeks ago and don't feel robbed at all. Massive Chalice is decent. Broken age is okay, Titan Souls is good.

This is the best week they've had in ages honestly.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I'm familiar with Broken Age but I had to go watch a LP of Oxenfree. It's not really to my taste, too slow and I don't find the writing compelling. The indie garbage comment was aimed pretty squarely at the "Gems" though, which is what HB defaults to if you just load up humblebundle.com.