1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Spinoff Movie - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celestin, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Flurol

Flurol Squib

High Score:
    I hope they don't fall into the same problems of some of the films where all the magic is just light blue light be chucked around. Would like to see a little more imagination in the action scenes. Transfiguration for example can be such a visually awesome part of a duel or action scenes but seems underutilized.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Comic Con trailer. Looks fun, although the CGI seemed very mixed - some great stuff, and then some that looks like they just rolled out some old models from the Philosophers Stone film without updating them. And I'm half convinced that all Redmayne's done by way of character prep is binge watch Doctor Who, largely the Eleventh Doctor.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Three things:

1. Statute of Secrecy, anyone?

2. Jon Voight is in this movie!

3. I'm excited to see Colin Farrell's Auror.

4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did someone give a wand to a goblin in that trailer?!?

5. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Well we know from mainstream fanfiction that the American wizards are so much more enlightened than the British ones. So it's no surprise that Goblins are friendly and have access to wands unlike their European counterparts.

6. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    Just saw the trailer and it looks amazing. It takes place in NY

7. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:

And here I was thinking it was downtown Mumbai.

I'm not as excited about this trailer as I was for the teaser before it. Redmayne seems more annoying than likeable in this one and I feel like audiences will have a certain amount of trouble sympathising with him.

8. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm pretty sure it was a house-elf, but yes.

9. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Not sure why, but the Pukwudgies dressed in Twenties garb looked really cool to me.

The bit where Scamander handed the helmet to his No-Maj friend was interesting, too. Sounds like wizards might be hardier than Muggles after all.

10. froger

froger Squib

High Score:
    I think we learned that from the books. Neville mentions how he survived when his relatives dropped him out a window or something.

11. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Cool your jets there. Neville survived due to accidental magic. It was his first bout of magic and a main point in the tale he was relating.

My great-uncle Algie kept trying to catch me off my guard and force some magic out of me – he pushed me off the end of Blackpool pier once, I nearly drowned – but nothing happened until I was eight. Great-uncle Algie came round for tea and he was hanging me out of an upstairs window by the ankles when my great-auntie Enid offered him a meringue and he accidentally let go. But I bounced – all the way down the garden and into the road. They were all really pleased. Gran was crying, she was so happy. And you should have seen their faces when I got in here – they thought I might not be magic enough to come, you see. Great-uncle Algie was so pleased he bought me my toad.’ - HPPS: Chapter Seven - The Sorting Hat

12. LJW

LJW Squib

High Score:
    That doesn't have anything to do with wizards being hardier than muggles. Nevile's magic is what saved him.

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Agreed.

Or it could just be because, as a wizard, Scamander can protect himself with magic, while his muggle friend cannot. So, equally susceptible to damage, but one more capable of avoiding it than the other.

I'm fine either way, but this is a concept the fandom has been trying to nail down for a while and, as far as I'm concerned, there is no concrete evidence for either option.

14. HarrySeverusPotter

HarrySeverusPotter Disappeared

High Score:
    My one hope is that through this movie and its subsequent sequels is that they don't break canon. They have already done so by saying Newt was expelled despite the fact that in the companion book of FBAWTFT it says when he graduated. I get that it was written long before the movie and JO couldn't have foreseen it being a plot point but my point remains that they could have worked around it, it seems like a needless detail. Other than that they better never use a basilisk, in the book it says none have been sighted in at least four hundred years (Harry then wrote
    'that's what you think ) and granted it says they haven't been sighted in Britain and he is in the USA but we already know they take hundreds of years to fully grow so if he goes there and there is a fully grown basilisk I will be pissed. Still the movie looks good, I'm excited to see it.

15. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Watched the Comic Con trailer.

- Eddie Redmayne still looks too freaky to play a human convincingly

- Colin Farrel looked very wooden.

- Nonmages? It sounds like a line from a crappy knockoff film

- That goblin? singer looks like they lifted her straight out of WoW

- I sort of want to see the other side of the story where 2 bored obliviators travel around New York fixing all the damage and trading dry wit.

16. fuanonemus

fuanonemus Squib

High Score:
    I thought about the Statute of Secrecy too and even more so after, for unrelated reasons, I read the new content JK posted on Pottermore on the relationship between wizards and muggles in America. Apparently muggles in America are even harder to fool and so the Ministry there works extremely hard to keep them separated. Looks like Scamander made Colin Farrell's job exponentially harder.

17. HarrySeverusPotter

HarrySeverusPotter Disappeared

High Score:
    I think that the big plot with the beasts escaping is just the beggining of another darker one with Ezra's Miller character.

18. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

... so this is how they're going to make it into a trilogy, by bringing in Grindelwald's ideology/conflict. But didn't Grindelwald started escalating the conflict in time with WW2? And wasn't this film supposed to take place during the 1920s? Did they change something? Or is my memory simply faulty?

Also, I'm wondering why exactly is that fat muggle kept un-Obliviated throughout the whole film.

Edit:

Also, what the fuck happened with robes and other wizarding clothes? Do they all just wear muggle stuff now?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  20. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

You say that as if Germany was toddling along pleasantly until they suddenly went nuts in the mid-30's. Mein Kampf was published in 1925, and Hitler was already in trouble for rousing mobs in the beer gardens.

The trailer also mentions Newt not bothering to Obliviate his muggle companion along the way. Why he chooses him to help him is as yet unrevealed.

There was also a bit where two witches were doing an outfit-transformation from outerwear into flapper dresses. I think you'll find that the only wizards dressed blandly are the Aurors like Colin Farrell's character; wizards who need to travel in muggle crowds without notice.

This trailer excites me more than the early ones, and I think Redmayne is perfectly cast as the quirky troublemaker. His grandkid marries Luna? I'm ready to believe.