1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Spinoff Movie - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celestin, Sep 12, 2013.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Blither not to shit on your parade, but it's been known for a while that FBAWTFT is the first in a trilogy. 2016, 2018, 2020.

2. Blither1

Blither1 Disappeared

High Score:

Motherfuckers... I know I sound clichéd as hell, but why can't we just have a standalone film anymore? FBAWTFT doesn't need to be a multi-part epic tale like HP was, it could just be a fun little film about a heap of magical creatures being let loose in london that maybe could spawn a sequal if it was good enough.

Fuck Hollywood, and fuck everyone else who complains about this and makes me sound so generically old.

EDIT: yeah shoulda read up the thread more, my bad. I do kinda like the idea of a "trilogy" of standalone films that intertwine mainly through minor characters and references, so hopefully they go in that direction.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:

You're just Blithering on now.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This would be so awesome (even as a background stage while our hero does his thing) that I just know it won't happen. Deep down, I think you know it too.

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I want to believe.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not taking the blue pill, Rep.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I always suspected you were redpilled ;)

As for the movie, I'd like to second those wanting a Quidditch Through the Ages movie next.

The third movie could be called Tales of Beedle the Bard and focus on Albus and Grindelwald.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I imagine that the treatment of shields vs bullets will be determined by the need to maintain dramatic tension. Which is to say, it'll probably be inconsistent.

9. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

A bit saddened by the fact that there wasn't a single spell in that trailer that was said out loud. I guess old school wizards are just all ballers. Starting to feel the hype for a trilogy with 3 different protagonists all tied together by an overarching plot though. Guess we can thank GoT for popularising multiple PoVs to make that kind of trilogy possible.

10. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Technically horned serpents exist irl.

[​IMG]

11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Meh. There were some inconsistencies in the student wardrobes, due to the revolving door of directors the "Harry-centric" movies had. There seemed to be a much bigger emphasis on each director putting their own special stink on the movies, rather than maintaining any kind of consistency of tone.

As for this movie: They're Americans... in the 1920s... trying to pass without notice in New York City. Maybe they dress differently.

Also, why on Earth would anyone set a movie in Roaring '20s U.S.A. and not take advantage of the signature styles? That's like throwing away good money.

Despite JKR apparently setting the origin of the term "No-Maj" much further in the past, the minute I heard it I thought it sounded like Jazz-Era slang.

It wasn't a big leap from the "empty basement" trunk compartment that Moody was imprisoned in, to an apartment trunk: Especially given the palatial magical tents and bottomless bags.

I'm sure most people who protested against trunk apartments did so because it became a fan fiction cliché, but to then go on and argue that the notion of such trunks is ridiculous because of annoyance at the overuse is just silly.

It was always a perfectly valid extrapolation of what was seen in canon.

And, to top it all off, this one is in something the size of a small suitcase, rather than a steamer trunk. From now on, no one employing such trunks in their stories can really be accused of using a cliché, they're simply using a piece of canon (as canon as this movie can be). At that point, it will be like accusing a Star Wars fan fic of using the cliché of light sabers. :mrgreen:

If Newt didn't bring it with him, it's probably a wampus, given that they've made a big deal about it being a magical creature native to the Americas, and it's a house symbol at Ilvermorny.

It is looking pretty cool, and my enthusiasm is building.

Let's hope they don't fuck it up.
    (I do have some misgivings about the obvious "CG-ness" of the background when the muggle says, "I ain't got the brains to make this up.")

Edit:
    If you mean that blue thing that they put in the teapot: It has a beak and wings, but I'm not seeing any horns...
    I think it might be an occamy.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  12. AER23

AER23 Squib

High Score:
    I may be the only HP fan who doesn't wait for the movie (or attempt to watch it). For me HP is unique and these moves to explore other countries magically, to create new stories are destroying the legend.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm hoping that in general, the CG in the trailer is unfinished because it looked pretty awful all round.

14. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol, Fantastic Beasts franchise will span five movies according to JK.

No link, but news is everywhere. Confirmed via her Twitter. Some are reporting 'at least' five, but she rebuffed that there by reiterating five.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If they're doing five movies, they better be building the Grindelwald conflict properly.

16. Toujourss Pur

Toujourss Pur First Year

High Score:
    It would be disappointing if they didn't in five movies. Hopefully they can also show something about Tom Riddle, although I'm more excited about Grindelwald to be honest.

17. radm94

radm94 First Year

High Score:
    It would be great if the movies ended with Grindelwald's defeat and then there's a segue to maybe a year later where Tom Riddle leaves Borgin and Burkes to travel or something. Or just plain graduating from Hogwarts since Harry Potter Wiki tells me he attended it till 1945.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  18. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I'm the only person who wanted nothing of the 7 books in this movie. I wanted to see the rest of the magical world, but it seems we're going back to the UK.

Joy...

20. radm94

radm94 First Year

High Score:
    I actually kind of thought that we would ultimately get a Hogwarts connection in these movies. I mean, if nothing else, we would have found out why Newt was expelled (is it already known?) But also because it's probably difficult to build a completely new world out of an existing world without alluding to it, especially given that the lead belonged to that "old" world. In this case, it looks like it will be alluded to a lot.

The time was a hint, too.

ALSO, if it were just Newt exploring the world, people would be calling it an Indiana Jones rip-off.

I'm fine with these new (Newt?) developments, honestly.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016