1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Deftex, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Anyone know what the giant worm thing is in the sands on eladeen? Is it just another architect? Sure doesn't look like it. The questgivers and random dialogue keep mentioning a 'worm' as well.

2. Deftex

Deftex Third Year

High Score:
    Honestly? No clue. I have Elaaden at 100% and there's an Architect on Elaaden that you can kill, but it's not the worm. No clue what the worm is or why the fuck I can't shove my Piranha down its throat.

3. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

It's some kind of random Remnant thing. It never gets explained in the game. My assumption is that it was what created the desert, breaking rock down into sand, as part of the terraforming process.

Either that, or it's some kind of autonomous weapon or something from the crashed Remnant ship that got loose.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If there are DLPrs playing who played mp in ME3, what are your opinions? Things I'm hearing from other places (mostly around Reddit) and seeing on YT suggest that everything has been done to turn mp egregiously skewed towards making extra money. Example being character ranks, doubled from ME3 and now required to gain extra skill points instead of granting cosmetic tiers.

5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I barely remember anything about the MP in ME3 since I don't thing I did much in it beyond checking out what it actually was. I have been playing it in MEA though.

I'm not sure why, but I actually like the MP a lot. It's actually all I did yesterday after work, I didn't do any SP at all. That being said, the whole character and loot system is pretty much how any random browser game works - so I guess I don't really mind it. The slow grind to open the booster packs is probably why I actually like it, but the option is there to spend real money to jump ahead (I'm assuming there's an option to buy andromeda points for $$$, I haven't actually looked)

That being said, I've found MP to be kind of tough. Now, I'm not saying I'm good at games like this, but I have been playing fps games for 20 years, so I'm pretty quick to adapt to new games. But for whatever reason, starting out in MP is really tough because the starter gear does barely any damage to the bots. Like, the assault rifle does 30 damage a shot, and when there's 7 waves of 20-30 guys, it really feels like it takes forever, because it does. 30 minutes for a game against AI is a long amount of time, especially when you end up losing in wave 6 or whatever, and then you barely get any XP for your character.

I'm level 10 right now, which really isn't that high. I'd still call it low, actually, since the game has been out for over a week. The issue is that of actually getting in a decent random group, and not lagging out. I've won a match, but failed to rejoin the lobby and had to restart the game to get back in, and I ended up not getting awarded any XP, which is frustrating. That's on top of the fact that saving up mission funds can take awhile, and then spending it on a crate just for the crate to have nonsense on it is kind of annoying. I'm still not sure what the purpose of having like female soldier 2 rather than 1 actually means, but I've opened a bunch of those.

6. Agayek

That's how you get the cosmetic upgrades for the class. By default, you can only use 2 armor colors and no patterns, and each time you find that class in a pack again it "upgrades" it and unlocks more customization options. If you see that again, you can flip the card over on the pack opening screen and it'll give you the list of what each upgrade unlocks.

As for the multiplayer itself, it's a pretty solid horde mode. It's basically ME3s multiplayer with MEA's combat, which is a pretty good combination. I didn't play ME3 MP that much (think I logged around 10-15 hours total in it), so I couldn't speak to any differences in progression, but for the couple hours of MEA MP I've played, it doesn't feel any different to what I remember.

7. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

What are you playing as? I started as a Vanguard, found it easy enough. I then moved onto a sniper class, which was even easier. Then I moved onto an AR class, and realised MP is in no way balanced. Fuck AR, weak as piss. Currently have Vanguard and Soldier (which I'm using as a sniper) around 20ish.

Maybe we got different measurements for speed? I found the booster packs in MP very fast to attain, 10 wins at bronze, 4 at silver, not sure on gold. And thats for the 100k packs (the only ones you should be buying outside of supply).

I've spent more time in MP then SP, it's pretty fun but you can see that Bioware only put the bare minimum effort into it. Let me proceed to mute my team one by one until I find the person with excessive background noise because the UI doesn't tell me whose mic is currently transmitting.

But yeah, I'm enjoying the rage-free MP that ME provides, even with the higher then average disconnects. At least I stopped my client from crashing to desktop all the time now in MP.

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm not even sure if I have 10 wins yet lol. Probably 30 or so played.

9. Deftex

Deftex Third Year

High Score:
    Yes, ARs are weak as shit. It disappoints me immensely.

2 wins at gold to get a premium pack.

Bioware put a lot of effort into multiplayer, coming from someone who's talked to one of the producers who's main job was work on multiplayer. Granted the UI is shit, and the balancing could probably use some work, but not as shit as you seem to think. It's actually REALLY easy to see who's being loud and obnoxious because believe it or not, the UI DOES tell you. The mic symbol changes to a speaker symbol and lights up a brighter blue/white. It's pretty noticeable.

10. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Don't get me wrong they got the most important part right, it's fun to play. But I guess most of my gripes are nitpicky in nature which can all be summed up to the fact the game is built for consoles. I've been PC gaming for so long I forgot how limited console MP is in comparison.

Going to start levelling up a Turian Havoc Trooper with a Black Widow. I spend most of my time hovering in the air as a sniper anyway I might aswell play a class tailored to it.

The speaker showing up, are you playing on console? Because it definitely doesn't show up for me, and I'm playing on PC. It's the first thing I looked for. Maybe my UI is just glitchly.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  11. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Extra character ranks give customization options and bonus ability points.

Anyways, I'd say that MP speeds up significantly once you've played a bit. These days I can usually get through a gold match in about 15 minutes or so, which is not half bad for 55000 credits!

12. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

The APEX missions app is very convenient.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Has anybody else had a thing where, when they level up (in single player), they don't get any points to spend? I just hit level 33. Can't find anything strictly relevant on Google, so for the moment I'm just going to work towards level 34 and hope it's a random glitch that'll sort itself out.

14. Deftex

Deftex Third Year

High Score:
    I haven't seen anything like that in singleplayer, but in mp it sometimes takes 2 to 3 games for my credits to be awarded. Probably not related, but somewhat similar.

Edit: also yeah the APEX app is really useful.

15. mort

mort Groundskeeper

So I finally have got the time to buy and play the game (on PS4 because my PC can't handle jack shit).
    Any spoiler free tips and recommendations for a new player?

16. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Don't bother crafting lower level weapons, you'll level up pretty quickly. You can save scum your way into RNG ultra-rares on a box the first time you get to the nexus, if you're into that sort of thing.

If you're playing on insanity you need to stick to cover till you level/gear up. Don't try tracking your quests in a logical way, just use the map to guide your way around because the quest menu is balls.

17. Agayek

Unless you're playing a sniper, you can (and generally should) pretty much entirely ignore cover in favor of jumping around and using the dash evade like a hyperactive squirrel on PCP. It's very much unlike previous Mass Effect games in that regard.

Also, Annihilate is a ridiculously good aura around you that with all the right talents causes nearby enemies to take an additional 40% damage. I didn't figure that out until halfway through the game, and things changed pretty dramatically when I did.

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think I was just being an idiot - I'd just finished one of the loyalty missions, and I thought I leveled up at the same time as I got the 'loyalty abilities unlocked' message, but unless I managed to fill 2/3 of the experience bar just by checking off a few minor objectives on the Tempest, I must not have done. Was genuinely convinced I had though. Anyway, points were obtained when I *did* level up to 34, so kinda irrelevant anyway

19. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

It's a real shame they fucked up the animations.

This game is just so solid in so many ways.

20. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't been following as closely, but while the animations provided some hilarious YT fodder, it's the buggyness that kept me away.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk