1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why exactly are the Goldcloaks of "dubious quality"? This is a time where the bulk of all armies are farmers with maybe a day or two's quick drilling while the banners assemble. Goldcloaks are trained soldiers with weapons and armour. And there's that whole pesky issue of the Lannister army floating about.

I could see a scenario where Cersei is lynched, dragged through the streets and made a spectacle of but only because it's a dramatic image that would be good for TV. She's had her lynching moment with the walk of shame.

Also... WHAT RUMOURS. Everyone involved apart from Cersei is dead. Olenna might spread shit to stir things up but what's the point? Rally the smallfolk against Cersei? Why? She's pledged her armies to Danaerys. The show probably won't make an issue of how tenuous her control over the reach must be and Danaerys will most likely receive the full forces of the reach.

You're living in a world of sure shine and roses where the person in the wrong never wins and if she doesn't have a rightful claim her evil armies will crash against the furious resolve of the peasant armies while knocking each other out accidentally with their own maces, (bcuz that's woth evilz guys doo.)

The only way the peasants are going to pull her out of the castle is if they all attack when Danaerys lands with her dragons, armies and the Reach. I wouldn't be knocking on the door of the Red Keep to pull out someone that I don't know has no legal claim on the point of my principals. I'd be cowering in a sewer trying to avoid dragonfire.

Also, please use proper paragraphs and and ellipses is three periods, no more and no less.

2. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, the only quality issues I've heard regarding the Goldcloaks is that Robert had a fairly lax attitude towards Janos Slynt's corruption. They certainly did a passable job of defending King's Landing against Stannis' army, and Slynt himself is long gone.

Yeah, I don't see anything like that happening unless she goes walking around King's Landing with only a couple token bodyguards. Which would be remarkably stupid after everything that's happened, not to mention grossly out of character when she's been getting increasingly paranoid.

As for peasants taking the Red Keep not likely unless the guards go along with it or are taking their stupid pills. Dropping the portcullis should take all of fifteen seconds, and storming a castle without any siege equipment just isn't going to work.

Since the Red Keep's on the water, starving her out isn't an option either. Well, not unless Daenerys' navy blocks off the Keep's supply route, and at that point the peasant mob becomes irrelevant anyway since Daenerys' navy will shortly be followed by her army and her dragons.

3. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Aren't the Lannisters inexplicably broke in the show? The Goldcloaks are of dubious quality in the sense that it's a highly corrupt organisation even with the removal of Slynt. If they aren't getting paid then they have no reason to prop up what everyone knows is a completely illigetimate rule. And myabe I'm mixing up show canon with the books, but they did a barely passable job of defeding Kings Landing against Stannis until Tywin and the Tyrell army showed up, and their ranks were decimated because of that battle. Didn't a lot of them just turn and run before Tyrion rallied the remaining men?

Do we know what happened to the Tyrell army incidentally? They had marched on Kings Landing at some point while Margaery was still prisoner, but I don't know whether they stayed nearby, or if they're following Olenna or whoever's next in line to rule Highgarden in the show.

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Going off memory, but as I recall their trouble in the King's Landing battle was mostly on account of being severely outnumbered by Stannis' army and problems caused by the leadership. The reason Tyrion needed to rally them wasn't low morale on account of generally being low quality troops, but the combination of Joffrey leaving the front lines to go hide in the Red Keep plus their commander (The Hound) becoming a broken man. That's the sort of one-two punch that would shake up any force.

Though yeah, if Cersei can't pay them, she's doomed. That's a given.

As far as the Lannisters being broke, from what I recall it's not that they're utterly broke, just that their gold mines had run dry. The Lannisters do still have an entire kingdom's worth of land, vassals, and tax-paying peasants after all. They'd only be as "poor" as the Arryns, Martells, and Tyrells.

They were broke in the sense that they couldn't keep depending on their famous gold mines to solve all their problems by throwing seemingly unlimited amounts of money at them. Thus, Tywin's plans for using his family's remaining wealth to win the game of thrones and build a new power base for them.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  5. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

Perhaps this is a little bit out of the blue, but am I the only person who noticed that Tyrion is the only major Daenerys supporting character in Westeros that has a dick?

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dany is an obvious feminazi propaganda plant.

/tinfoil

7. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Well, the show is shit, but you do have to admit that the men in Westeros are exceptionally good at killing each other and dying in stupid ways. Tyrion is one of the few who isn't likely to jump on life and death situations or assholish acts that will surely demand revenge or some kind of payback later.

8. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

You right Tyrion will just drink,fuck and marvel people by knowing things.

If this show really wants to end on an epic note. Dany will become the new queen and Tyrion will become her king.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah... but I dont think any semblance of a happy ending involving Dany on the Iron Throne is in the cards. She's had so many victories... and if there's one thing GRRM likes to do, it's cut charcters down right as victory is in sight.

In fact, it's a gimmick that's getting a little tired. But hey... who knows... maybe he'll be unpredictable by writing the predictable ending.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  10. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

He's always talked about the ending being bittersweet so I'd like to assume the show will follow a similar angle.

After it is all said and done, either Jon or Dany will die while the other one reigns. That is, of course, if anyone ends up on the Iron Throne.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Like, say, the Night's King?

12. ZakRowan

ZakRowan Squib

I could definitely see the books going in that direction, due to Martin's anti-war stance, but the show will probably diverge, I can't see HBO running successful sequels and prequels whith the ultimate end being all the characters dying.

13. ScottPress

High Score:
    Do you know something I don't?

14. ZakRowan

ZakRowan Squib

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

HBO is considering four, maybe even five spin-offs and GRRM confirmed that neither Robert’s Rebellion nor Dunk & Egg is one of them for good reasons.

It's more than possible that at least some of them are what everyone expect and I would be surprised if the Aegon's Conquest, the Dance of the Dragons and the First Blackfyre Rebellion aren't on the list. Since they're just considering options things like Ghiscari wars and the Rhoynish Wars may be on the table too.

16. KGB

KGB Headmaster

17. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

18. ScottPress

High Score:
    Popped up in my recs on YT, was just about to post it.

HYPE TRAIN IS LEAVING THE STATION, CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS

19. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    New trailer dropped a couple of days ago. Looks awesome, I am now certain that my hype level is over 9000.

Winter is here.

20. ScottPress

High Score:
    Cue Beric Dondarrion is Azor Ahai based on that firesword shot.

Very good choice of trailer music. The piano sequence from 6x10 is possibly the best piece of GoT music to date.