1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually have no idea what this means. What kind of slang is it?

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Kek is the new lol, also the egyptian god of darkness and now 4chan's god of memes.

Cape of course means pertaining to superheroes.

Kino is now used to describe an outstanding piece of cinema.

So a good movie about superheroes would be capekino, a bad one would be capeshit.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy...it was ok. It didn't live up to my hopes given the first one. It was a solid film, but honestly nothing to write home about. I'm glad I have an unlimited card, so I didn't actually have to pay money to watch it.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Of the five, only one, maybe two, seem to be plot relevant (at this stage), although all are worth watching. The plot one(s) are in the first three, if anyone is pressed for time.

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed the film. Really good fun, and if you'd told me I'd care so much about one character before I saw it, I'd have called you a liar.

5. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I don't know if this one posted before, but when I saw imdb's description for it my first reaction was: wut?

A dystopian love story in a Texas wasteland and set in a community of cannibals.

It looks awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pse9E9DzZ4

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The first trailer for 'The Bad Batch' is better, I feel. More sinister too.

7. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Guardians was funnier than most outright comedies. Would heavily recommend!

8. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Just watched Guardians and liked it a lot. It dragged on a little at the end; the plot could've been more focused and the final battle went long enough that I just didn't have much more emotion to invest into it but all in all, it was a pretty great experience.

I'm a bit ashamed to say that I liked Furious 8 better. Totally didn't see that one coming.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't be ashamed for loving perfect movies you silly billy.

10. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The sequel curse struck with Guardians. Still a movie worth watching, it had its funny parts, but it also had its many try hard parts as well. I felt like they wanted the opening battle scene to start with a bang with a mix of comedy and action, but the results felt more like meh.

Overall it felt like they were trying to live up to the comedy of the first movie, and while they struck gold sometimes they completely missed at others. There was plenty of scenes spread throughout the movie that dragged on for comedic effect but ended up falling flat. Less trying on the comedy would of suited this movie better.

Compared to the first Guardians and my own hype... I am disappointed. Overall I enjoyed it and it did have its funny parts, I just expected more.

The ending did bring a tear to my eye though.

11. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

I actually enjoyed Guardians a lot. My only criticisms would be that the opening scene wasn't as good as they obviously wanted it to be. The use of the songs didn't feel as immersive as it did last time but the soundtrack IS pretty good.

I loved Kurt Russell as Ego and think the performances where pretty good for the movie, with perhaps the exception of Karen Gillan. Drax stole the show in my theater, people were laughing all throughout the movie.

Also, I really enjoyed the nods to the original Guardians of the Galaxy and the way this movie expands on Marvel's Cosmology.

12. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'll have to check it. The second trailer had already been released when I stumbled upon it!

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I saw Destiny of the Speedy and Angry. The franchise has been a mixed bag imo. I really didn't like 2 and 4, loved 5, then found 6 & 7 kinda meh. I dunno, while I really enjoyed the franchise transitioning into more of a balls-out heist series, I thought that the premise of the last two films was beyond ridiculous. Stealing a fortune from a drug lord by driving fast? Cool. Duking it out with supersoldiers on behalf of the government... Ehhh.

But maybe I was expecting too much from movies featuring Tyrese Gibson acting out every dumb stereotype that applies. I went into this one prepared for a dumb action flick and when I wasn't questioning Dom's improbable spec ops skillset and the alliance with last film's villain, I found the action sequences really thrilling and Jason Statham was unexpectedly hilarious, especially with the kid. Helen Mirren was great during her short screentime. Devil's Bunghole, indeed. And I actually found Charlize Theron's performance genuinely engaging, and not just by the dumb action flick standard. She was easily the best actor in the movie.

One thing though. Can we stop pretending that these people are drivers instead of highly trained former special forces operatives?

I rate the action 10/10. Everything else doesn't matter. If you don't turn your brain off to watch this, you only have yourself to blame, case in point: myself and the previous two films.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  14. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Trailer for The Dark Tower came out two days ago.

Will probably turn into a blockbuster and completly disregard the spaghetti western feel of the original novel.

15. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is this supposed to be a series of films, or just a one-off? I've only ever read the first of the Dark Tower series, which I barely remember, but this looks a fair bit different. Quite cool though, I might check it out.

16. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I don't really know. Apparently, this movie is a "sequel" to the original novel series and a TV series is scheduled to be released in 2018.

17. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah the movie seems to be incorporating different elements from books further in the series. If this movie is taking place post Horn retrieval Rolland and the TV series after that.. That is some ambitious cross media continuity.

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The first full trailer for Dunkirk dropped yesterday. The previous trailers were teases but this is the first one that actually explains what's happening. Looks pretty great.

What's interesting is that I've been watching various trailer reaction videos on YouTube and it seems like the vast majority of Americans had never heard of Dunkirk (the historical event) before. Is this something that's fairly universal or is it a matter of YouTube reaction video selection bias?

19. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've never heard anything about it, not even a small mention. The name's completely unfamiliar.

20. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

The major events and a number of minor events were covered in my history classes, including this one. The problem is that over the years the American education system has decided that social issues during the time of war are more important than than actual events like this. They're being bumped out of history class slowly but surely.

Even during my classes they covered a few causes that led to war and then after that it was simply a numbers game (ie. this event happened on X date and X many people died.)

But to answer your question, yes, Dunkirk was discussed, at least a billion years ago when I was in school.