1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

þe Olde Dursley Debate þreade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrBucket, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Longsword

Longsword Banned

I thought the post above mine where the whole deterministic thing was written was in jest. So was mine.

2. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    For some folks, not being a fan of Corbyn = Tory.

3. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Professor

lol "extremely outdated theory". the argument over whether or not genetics matter was decided decisively in favour of genetics way back before your parents had left diapers.

this guy gets it.

4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I tried following the thread. But the title buffoonery swamps my ability. It's not Ye Olde. It's The Olde. The Y is actually þ (the letter, thorn) but looks more like [​IMG]. Hence, the shift from th to y. Infidels, the lot of you.

Now, is that genetic coding or elementary school grammar instruction abuse that drives such posts?

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

That genetics matter is not up for debate, if course they do. Nature vs nurture is not a black and white debate with Blank-Slate Theory on one side and Genetic Determinism on the other.

Genetic Determinism as defined by you in your post is a discredited form of genetic theory that, in its time, has served as the scientific basis for the eurogenics movement, the sterilising of the disabled and mentally ill, scientific racism and biological gender roles. It is bullshit and nobody credible has subscribed to it since if not my parents, at least before I was in diapers.

Hell even the base idea: That a single gene yields one protein; genes beget messenger RNA, which in turn begets protein; and that gene is deterministic in gene expression. Was proven wrong at the completion of the human genome project, which showed we have far fewer genes than expected and concluded that:

"A single gene may give rise to multiple transcripts, and thus multiple distinct proteins with multiple functions by means of alternative splicing and alternative transcription initiation and termination sites."

I.e environmental factors do have an effect on how genes are encodes. I.e the entire field of epigenetics.

TLDR: It is an old and outdated theory that nobody credible pays attention to anymore.

Edit: The only places you see it still kicking around in that form is with communities who would like a scientific basis for rejecting 'race mixing' advocating racial superiority and advocating for genetically based gender roles.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  6. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Because if you title a thread 'þe Olde' you look like a right proper twat

7. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Only because of þe inconsistency.

þe olde Dursley debate þread

8. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Let's go with that.

9. Paranoid Android

Take your moralising and shove it. The operative part of the first post was the term “Hard” genetic determinism, which was the joke. The moderate hypothesis has broadly travelled true. Though I’d wager that your definition of important environment is probably too broad.

Edit: The broad heritability of all traits is neither here nor there wrt racial superiority or all that other bunk. To get from A to B requires some pretty sketchy value judgements in regards to what society should value and the relative inportance of various characterics. The linking of the two ideas says much imo

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  10. Sorrows

If you think historical fact is moralising I'm not sure what I can say to you. The exact theory you described was/is used for those very purposes and basically nothing good on top of being flat wrong.

Move the goal posts all you like, fact of the matter is, the deterministic nature of genes expression, as describe by you at length in your post is an old, outdated theory based on an outdated understanding of how gene expression works. In fact, move those goal-posts, even the most generous moderate hypothesis that you failed to mention before just now has not broadly travelled true, the idea that genetic contributions to phenotypes are (and this is being very generous) much more important than the contributions of other factors such as epigenetic and environmental ones, in the case of complex traits like personality and character is still largely discredited. There is a reason nobody uses the phrase 'genetic/biological determinism' anymore.

But yes, genes matter.

Annnd there goes the thread.

Edit: actually, fuck gene expression. Has anybody read/ seen Cursed Child? how is Harry portrayed as a father? Is here a legacy of his shitty childhood to be seen in how he parents his kids?

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Having both seen and read it, Harry comes across a lot better in the live action. Reading the script, Harry comes across as a bit of a douche. In the live play, it's clear that Harry is a fairly normal father and it's Albus Severus who is an unusually ungrateful, angsty teenager.

12. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Does it justify telling your son that you wish that you were not his father?

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, the audience certainly has sympathy with Harry for saying it by that point, since you've had to sit through an hour of Al's #FirstWorldProblems. I wouldn't say it "justifies" it, whatever that means, but neither the narrative nor Harry seeks to argue that Harry saying it was a good thing; Harry immediately considers it a mistake, a rash statement in the heat of the moment.

14. Paranoid Android

You just plain don’t know what you’re talking about. A) There was actually three forms of the genetic determinism arguement. Hard, moderate, and weak. Which is why in the original post I ‘hard’ was used. If you had even a cursory knowledge of this you’d know that. B) the heritability of complex traits varies depending on the trait, but is generally in the ball park of 70-50%. C) You do realise epigenetics is how the environment mediates genetic expression and thereby phenotype. So therefore it doesn’t make sense to list out factors affecting phenotype as genetics, environment, epigenetics. You can just say environment and genetics.

Of course you were moralising. You took a joke playing on the ridiculousness of one of the themes of Harry Potter secretly being genetic determinism coded in by the presumably eugenicst JK Rowling and used it to grandstand on how the genetic determinism hypothesis is equal to being nazi.

15. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

This just in, humour is subjective. More at eleven.

I don't know, I didn't read this as humorous or intended as a joke. And your spitting fire (over several technical posts to establish your intellectual authority) at someone for 'misunderstanding' it as serious doesn't give me the impression that you thought it was a joke, either. Just saying.

To be clear, not calling you a nazi. Just suggesting, if it was a joke you might want to look at how you play up the humour - because realistically I just think you wanted to look clever and were annoyed at someone calling you out on it.

16. Paranoid Android

Authors note: sarcasm

The joke was the ridiculousness of me calling JK Rowling of all people a genetic Determinist, and then bullshitting textual reasons for this. Pretty obviously a ridiculous position to stake out given common knowledge of Rowling and Harry Potter.

But whatever, i see your point sperging our about the ‘estoric’ minutiae certainly overshadowed any joke to be found. Though something that is covered in a first year Bio or Psych class is hardly someone flexing their intellectual muscles.

To avoid misunderstandings In the future i’ll make sure to leave an authors note at the top of a comment to indicate different fonts for sarcasm.

17. Sorrows

You know it's amazing that you got so triggered by the fact I said an old and outdated form of genetic determinism was old and outdated (oh and that form was totally used by the Nazis.) Why on earth would you take that as a personal attack I'm really not sure.

Sure it was totally a deep meta joke that all the rubes who don't know the ridiculousness of hardline genetic determinism just didn't get and not you trying and failing at being condescending, when I said something demonstratively true and frankly pretty mild.

But at least you went and did some reading now, congratulations. You still arn't right, soft determinism and deterministic theory is a completely different thing to genetic determinism though the concept of hard determinism is arguably the philosophical basis of the latter. Genetic determinism theory is not the same as genetic theory nor genetic heritability within the framework of epigenetics or modern psychobiological models.

But frankly I can't be arsed to go in to it any further on a Dursley thread.

The fact you only covered this on first year psych is painfully obvious, but sure, copy/paste away.

So Dudley, if Harry’s treatment was a clear form of abuse... was going the complete other way with Dudley, letting him eat as much as he'd like, giving him no consequences /boundaries and spooling him rotten also a form of abuse? I'd say it was likely to have almost as many negative consequences on his life/personality/health later in life.

18. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I draw the line in between abuse and strict parenting at the impact the alleged abuse has on the child. Since Harry didn't really act like an abused child, I can't call the Dursleys abusive.

19. Sorrows

So does that mean that there's no behaviour you consider objectively abusive?

20. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    There is (the overtly obvious ones). I meant if there's a grey area, it depends on how it impacts the child.