1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot You Meet in Paris by enembee - T

Discussion in 'Romance' started by enembee, Jul 4, 2019.

1. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: You Meet in Paris
    Author: enembee
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance
    Library Category: Romance
    Pairings: Harry Potter / Gabrielle Delacour
    Summary: ...and she eclipses the sun. A short story.
    Link: FFNet

I'll write a bit of a longer summary here for the DLP mandem than I provided on the old FFNet. Essentially this was my attempt at writing a canonical post-DH romance (ignoring, of course, the epilogue). Harry, in second person, meets Gabrielle at a party in Paris, and begins a love story that spans decades. Honestly, it's a bit artsy, and you're probably better off reading it than I am trying to explain it to you.

Reviews on FFNet make my tiny, blackened heart swell ever so slightly.
    Checked by Sorrows 05/08/2019

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2019
  2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

It seems our own personal troll has farted out a few more reviews.

3. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can't say they don't have my measure.

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Done, 5/5

5. Only Darkness

Only Darkness Squib

The second person POV took some getting used to, but the story is excellently written with a hazy feel to it that is utterly enchanting!

6. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Thoroughly enjoyed it, well done.

7. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Beautiful prose, tightly and concisely written and yet the imagery is still noticeably evocative. 5/5.

8. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Tightly written, very few issues with the writing, I was entranced throughout.
    5/5

9. KyleisI

KyleisI Muggle

Love it. Brilliantly written, great characterisation, the 2nd person POV adds something really amazing to it, no weird spelling or grammar mistakes, a pairing I'm not used to but why the hell not. Bottom line, it's a masterpiec

10. Miner

Miner Order Member

It's an excellent love story, filled with elegant prose and a very unique style that screams aristocratic. And in that, it was very much an enjoyable piece.

I just couldn't help but find fault with its status as a Harry Potter fanfic. Harry never really felt like Harry, and the world upon which the story was built, aside from brief mentions of familiar names, didn't really feel like Harry Potter. It was almost as if I was reading a sort of star-crossed lovers tragedy that never really meshed well with the magic side of things. The magic can enable scenes, such as Harry's constant, near instantaneous travel or his eternal youth, but ultimately, I didn't feel as if magic played quite the part that I thought it would play in a Harry Potter story.

11. Bobika

Bobika Third Year

A beauty, truly.

I love the idea of letting us walk through an entire (or not that entire) life story in a one-shot. It makes you feel the everyday monotony of the years passing in the background, and makes the defining moments shine against it brightly.

Excellently and beautifully executed. An easy 5/5.

12. Limetrix

Limetrix Squib

High Score:
    Amazing work. The second person pov really worked out. The constant repetition of certain phrases highlighted the differences perfectly. The prose was beautiful to read through. I've read this piece of work at least five times.

5/5 Real quality content.

13. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If this is the only Harry Potter story I read this year (and thus far, it is), I'll know it was a good year. (I realize you wrote it last year, but I'm a hard lurker these days!)

Not sure what I expected upon opening it (other than that it would be well-executed as per my experience with your other stories), but it took me somewhere very little fiction does these days. It made me think wistfully, without shame, of my own complicated love story (real life, not written) and I think that is the best endorsement of your talent I can give. Some of the most poignant moments are as remarkably simple as a few words: I pulled her from a lake once, You probably don't remember me, You haven't aged a day... the comparisons to Dumbledore and staring out over a lake reading a letter, finding a sense of closure. Sure, there wasn't a lot of magic being thrown around, maybe you could have fleshed out the seventeen year old thing more, but I think it was still full of things that make it completely "Harry Potter" and I wouldn't want you to write a sentence more. It is as close to perfect as it needs to be to convey the emotions you were looking for.

Glad I read it, bro. 5/5