1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

4K Help?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Phantasm, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Phantasm

Phantasm Second Year DLP Supporter

So a while ago my dad bought himself this TV and recently decided to upgrade to Sky Q so he could see some of the 4K content. Got it all set up and plugged the HD 2.0 cable supplied by Sky into the HD 2.0 slot on the TV, but there's no option on Sky for the higher resolution from 1080p. Phoned up Sky and they're trying to say the TV can't be Ultra HD ready, despite it being advertised as such and it was bought direct from Amazon, so they couldn't get away from selling it as something it isn't, I'm sure.

Anyone had any similar experiences that could maybe help me sort this out, as my dad has worked himself up thinking he spent money on a 4K TV that isn't 4K and won't shut up about it.

2. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just go to the website and check out the user manual.

The tv you bought, according to the LG website, is a 4K. I don't know what "Sky" is, I assume it's a British TV provider? If they have 4K content, then they'll need to send him a box that is 4K capable.

As far as "Sky" telling you what your dad's tv is, ignore them. It's probably a minimum wage worker looking at a computer screen and reading from a list that's a year or more out of date. So if they try telling you that again, ask for the manager, then their manager, until you get someone who actually knows how to plug in a TV, let alone troubleshoot one.

I still remember the day I spent 10 minutes explaining to a Dell Help Desk rep on the phone why I could, in fact, use Windows Pro rather than Home because the file system was the same. I finally hung up and figured out the problem myself. So again, don't trust what you hear from help desk reps until you get a few levels up.

3. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Yeah, I work with legal support from Desk Help for a Bank, and the guys there know nothing about the programs, as in no idea how anything work, they are just given a script who was written by people who had better things to do and are helped by the underpaid interns.

4. Effulgent Dawn

Effulgent Dawn First Year

High Score:
    After some brief research, it looks like the only Sky box that supports UHD content is the Sky Q Silver box. Assuming that you have the right one, there should be an option to try to force UHD in the settings. Sky Support Article Here
    Best of luck to you.