1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Black Comedy by nonjon - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by nonjon, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Makes sense. What about Sirius though? It just occurred to me that Voldemort tried to probe both Harry AND Sirius. Now I can certainly see Harry being able to kick Voldemort out of his mind. He did study occlumency in book 5 and it makes sense that given the whole connection thing he might have worked on it "off-screen" too.

But how exactly was Sirius able to kick Voldemort out? I mean occlumency must be a rare skill or Dumbledore would have had someone other than Snape teach Harry(I assume Dumbledore is smart here). Where exactly did Sirius learn to kick out someone of Voldemort's strength and skill when he spent most of his life in Azkaban? If anyone that has a strong personality could violently eject legilimency probes then the skill would be rather useless in my opinion. It must require skill to do. Where did Sirius learn it?

I did actually remember this! That is why I mentioned it. The two obvious candidates for taking the wand and memory charming Ollivander are Voldemort who has learned of the danger a brother wand would pose him and Neville who is the "chosen one" in this universe and as such the one destined for the wand.

And since you wrote
    Voldemort obviously does not realise the brother wand connection so that leaves only Neville as the obvious choice. Unless ofcourse you have some totally unexpected twist planned.

Btw. There seems to be a spelling error in the above quote.

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

This is something I think we all automatically expect. When we hear Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald we all assume it's because he was a better dueler. Or in most "Harry wins and heads off towards a new dimension" fics, he won because he was more skilled, more powerful, and better than Voldemort.

But I personally don't think that's ever been the case with Harry in canon. Of course when he was a baby "defeating" the Dark Lord, he wasn't a better dueler. In the meetings in first, second, and fourth year, Harry survived or even clearly won in spite of being 'lesser.'

Just because person A beats person B, it doesn't mean person A will win every time. Nor is person A superior to person B in every way. My Harry in this fic is a super!Harry by my standards (a sort of echelon higher than most wizards that only Dumbledore and Voldemort are near or exceeding). All things being equal, Dumbledore could probably take Harry in a friendly duel more often than not. But certainly not every time. And no Death Eater could take him frequently, but anyone could get a lucky shot.

There are a few assumptions people have been making too that aren't quite right either. I won't correct them just yet though...

Thanks for the criticism too. It seems almost all my fics will have the occasional chapter that doesn't fit with them so well. Sometimes it'll work fine once they view it within the context of the rest of the fic and sometimes they'll never like it.

Thanks. I just stuck in the missing word "know" to make it "Voldemort didn't know why or how this happened..."

3. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

Right, it's not like weight lifting where we'd say something like "gee, Harry lifted 250 pounds before, why can't he lift 200 pounds now?" I had sort of gotten the impression that Harry killed the other Voldemort by being captured and surprising Voldemort when he got up in Harry's face to taunt him (a la the old Long Arm of the Law short story). Not by challenging him to a duel and whipping his ass.

It's kind of funny to have a fic where Harry beats Voldemoort in a straight up duel and people start complaining about how Harry is underpowered. Imagine the fallout in this new world when word of the ass-kicking gets around. A whole new generation of wizards will be taught that you should always bet on Black...

4. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Great new chapter.

I am somewhat surprised that Harry was so forthcoming when it came to his magical hands. I mean that is really the only major advantage Harry has compared to others. Not to mention that now that it is known about them and that they are magic someone could challenge Harry to a duel for that sword and demand that he does not use his hands since they are magical spells.

I was amused that Voldemort had taken to calling Neville "fucker". That is just something that I would not have thought Voldemort would do but somehow it fits. :)

I wonder what is going to happen now. Voldemort knows the truth about Harry and Sirius, Harry's only real advantage, which is the surprise his hands give has been neutralized and Voldemort will be fully restored in just a week. I would think Harry and Sirius should be far more worried than they are since it looks as though Voldemort holds all the cards. It should be interesting to see how they manage to survive Voldemorts wrath. Will Neville come to their rescue I wonder.

5. habeus

habeus Guest

first post of mine, and i couldn't really think of a better way to spend it. the more of your stories i read, the more impressed by your style i am. i really truly enjoy reading your work. thank you :)

6. nonjon

Welcome habeus. Thanks for the words of kindness, but let me give you a kindly-worded warning before other members jump on your back with sharpened kitchenware: post on the forums intelligently and with care. We require things like complete sentences, punctuation, grammar, and proper spelling. The absence of capitalization in your post is a big no-no.

These forums are intended to stick around for a long time. This isn't instant messaging friends or chatting online where shorthand is allowed or even encouraged. And people will get medieval when they see newbies treating the forum like a fun place to chat rather than taking the time and effort to simply format their comments. Mistakes happen and can be overlooked, but when it's clear you're not even trying, the rabid veteran members and admins with itchy banstick fingers get feral.

You're new and it was your first post, but consider yourself warned. And thanks again for the kind words. I know my fics aren't the best, most beautifully written things, filled with emotion or drama, but making them enjoyable is exactly what I'm aiming for first and foremost.

7. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hilarious, Nonjon, hilarious. 5/5 for the new chapter. The smile hasn't left my fact since.

Habeus- I sent you a helping message last night, my new friend, warning you about the 'i' problem and proper grammar along with the rules and stickies of this site. Did you read it? Of course I won't bust you down for it, you are new, but most of the information you'll need to get along well on this site is in that private message(PM).

8. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Just started reading it.

Wow. Moving on.

Well done, I love the bit with Ginny's ghost. Brilliantly played.

9. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

It's been updated.

I don't think I have ever seen a Remus/Bella fic before... but I think there is a reason to that... him being a filthy werewolf and all that.

Not a lot happened so don't have much to say.

I find it hard to believe Harry wouldn't want to go see Lily. Sure it is the smart thing to do but an orphan would want to see his Mum. Even if it's not his real one.

10. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I wouldn't agree to go over either. He had just learned that the Harry from that dimension was used to make a horcrux along with the skull of his godfather. Not a pleasant thought the first time you meet your mother.

And if Remus ends up with Bellatrix I will laugh my ass off until the end of time. Imagine Tonks' reaction....

11. Erotic Adventures of S

You changed it a few chapters ago but not here. I think you chnaged denise to Owen or something.

12. nonjon

Err... I changed the mention of the DA member who "kind of feared" Voldemort in CHAPTER THREE to Owen Caldwell instead of Dennis (during ghost!Ginny's less than heroic last stand).

It was because Dennis needed to stay alive for the accidental hook-up Denise thing. That was the change.

13. Erotic Adventures of S

A few chapters after that Harry, Sirius, Tonks, Remus and Ginny are in a cafe talking and Ginny talks about it. She uses the Name Dennis instead of Owen.

14. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You don't realize how funny that was to me. Just the mental picture... Priceless.

Another great chapter--not a lot of substance and plot-movement, but it was fucking hilarious.

10/10.

15. Flamata

Flamata First Year

LMFAO. I'm not sure if this is better in retrospect, or whether I'd like to see the scene itself.

Great update, great story. And the image of dropkicking a midget is going to stay with me for a long time...

16. nonjon

At first I wrote it as a normal scene, but it just fell a bit flat. Then I rewrote it shorter as an after-the-fact 'what did we learn?' scene. But used the original scene for inspiration (some details changed of course that would've probably changed in subsequent edits). Posted it as an OMAKE on my yahoogroup if you want to read it here.

17. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

As most of you probably know, we've got a new chapter. It was a very good one, and actually had me laugh out loud in a few places. The cliffhanger at the end is evil though.

Oh, and the Seinfeld reference was priceless.

18. Erotic Adventures of S

My bet is on Fawkes to the rescue.

19. nonjon

I'll take that bet. I'll even give you 10-1 odds.

20. Erotic Adventures of S

Your just trying to scare me into changing my vote. I will take that bet.

You win I get violently raped by Vash.

I win I get violently raped by Vash.

Everyone wins.