1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Champion's New Hope by Rocag - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by royalduke, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

I read all 7 chapters, and really it seemed like a 2004 fic. Not a 2009 fic.
    Not gonna be on my WIP list to follow for sure.
    2/5

2. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

It's like a mix of The Grass Is Always Greener, Aspirations and a dozen other fics of varying quality and quantity. Basically, it feels all done before here. Nothing new. No twists that shout out and say, "HEY! LOOK AT ME!"

2/5, at least it's not horrifyingly written and I'm a bit of a Daphne whore.

3. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Incorrect, good sir. It got royalduke banned. That makes it a 5/5.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure that was a different topic. Lust for a Dark Soul, when he questioned why that deserved to be in the library.

5. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Meh, I enjoyed it, and will be following it.
    Not particularly interesting, but readable and the pairing doesn't overtake the plot. 3/5

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I forced myself through the first chapters. They are a real struggle to get through, due to what others pointed out (telling instead of showing), but after the First Task (chapter 5 and onwards), I think it picks up. A little. Enough, however, to make me not feel like I am reading it only because I read every Harry/Daphne fic. This trend continued after the Yule Ball; around that time, I was enjoying reading it.

I think the Rec Bin about fits so far. It's got neither a mind-blowing plot, not is it outstandingly original, but it's not bad; and if you're searching for Harry/Daphne stories specifically, have a look. I give it a 3.5/5

Edit:

... rounded up to a 4/5 for rating purposes without reservations. The last three chapters have that quality, and it diverges from Canon as well. Though I will dock at least one point if Harry turns out to have the "quite rare" talent of a Curromagus. He does not need more power than he currently has.

As for (the currently last) chapter twelve -- oddly, I was quite conflicted about Malfoy's unsuccessful attempt of slipping him that rage potion to break them up. On one hand, had it worked, it could have easily degenerated into relationship angst, which I can only stomach in small doses. On the other hand, having it fail after half a minute as is, made it seem as if they are basically untouchable because they are Just That Awesome -- because I kinda feel like Malfoy's plan should have worked (it wasn't all that idiotic, surprisingly). I really don't know what I want, lol.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  7. Chiron

Chiron Second Year

I read the entire fic up to the part where Harry uses a jelly legs curse on Imposter!Moody. Then I clicked on the red X. When Harry realized that Mad Eye was polyjuiced, he should have used his "super training" with Daphne to defeat him. The stuff before the duel kept enough of my attention to keep me interested.

3/5 for being average

8. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Harry angsts over using pathetic spells, BT. So I think it is OK.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Admittedly, that made me lol a little. People get annoyed when Harry is all super! and way too mature and experienced for his age -- and when the author then tries to make it more realistic, by having him not function like a machine under pressure, people get offended too :p

To actually add some content here -- personally, I felt Harry wasn't too overpowered. IMO, it's just below that line. Having him be a Curromagus would cross it though -- which would be the reason why I'd lower my rating in that case.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  10. Chiron

Chiron Second Year

Well, when I read the part with Harry's "training" I assumed that he would at least get ahead of himself in canon. I was picturing 3rd task Harry who had Impedimenta and Stupefy. If I can remember the author had Harry dodging at first, but then he puts up a shield right when Moody uses Crucio. That made me scratch my head, because I know canon Harry is a somewhat decent duelist. Trust me, I hate Super!Harry as much as the next guy, but with the chapters he spent silent casting I was hoping for a little more.

11. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I finally got bored enough to read this story.

It kind of defines average to me. The author does a lot of telling, but I found myself looking forward to see where the plot was going. The prose and dialogue aren't horrible, but they aren't great either.

My biggest question is, now that the whole school knows they're dating - what will happen? Will the plot follow GoF more or less with Harry/Daphne moments interspersed, or is there an actual major divergence up ahead?

3/5

12. Schrodinger

High Score:
    This is the same Harry who knew he had a dark Lord after him but didn't bother learning shit, and who was told several times that Infreni are weak against fire, and when fighting inferni, DIND'T USE FIRE?

13. Chiron

Chiron Second Year

Okay I'll give you that, but that doesn't mean Harry isn't a good duelist it just proves he's stupid. A football player can be dumb, but he can be a good Athlete.

I was trying to point out that Canon!Harry was pretty good at thinking on his feet. For example when Malfoy was going to use Crucio on him he responded with Sectumsempra. The same thing applies to this situation, because I remember the author having Harry learn some type of explosion spell. So when Moody began casting the Crucio curse he should have responded quickly with a stronger spell.

Since you're going to say how much of a skilled duelist Barty is, I'm going to remind you that he spent some time in Azkaban.:p

14. Schrodinger

High Score:
    Like, ten minutes. Then his mommy bailed his ass out. Bellatrix spent thirteen years in Azkaban, and she still kicked ass. Until JK Rowling's "Hell hath no fury as an incapable fatass mother spurned" BS.

15. Portus

Portus Heir

Bitter, party of one? Right this way, please...

16. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The story diverges from canon in the middle of the year. Currently it's one chapter from the beginning of 5th year, and it's very different from canon. A lot of the criticism still applies, but I think the story improved. There are no really original things though, all has been done before. Except for one original element (Hermione's thing), but the author promised it will be underutilized because otherwise it's a blatant dues-ex machina. Anyway, characters die (good and bad), it's not that bad.

17. Rocag

Rocag Third Year

Hello everyone, I am Rocag the author of this story. I am not the guy some of you were accusing of being the author, in fact I wasn't even aware this forum existed until randomly Googling my user name and finding a link to this thread.

For those of you thinking it was too similar to Goblet of Fire, it does get very different starting with the third task. From then on there is very little similarity between it and canon. I'm kind of surprised with how negative the response to the story is here, from all I can tell it seems to be fairly popular at FanFiction.net judging by the number of views and the reviews. Oh well, to each his own I suppose.

The story is complete now so consider giving it another shot. Thanks.

18. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Wow, thanks for ignoring the stickies posted prominently pretty much everywhere. The only reason someone should necro a post from seven months ago would be to announce that major changes have happened, kind of like "Hey I totally rewrote the story and made it not suck. Please try rereading it again."

I checked... still the same story, just more suckage added for flavor.

Fail!necro.

Oh, and welcome to DLP, now read the freaking stickies or GTFO.

19. Anme

Anme Professor

The reviews weren't even that negative. The story isn't bad. It's just that there is nothing that stands out and makes it interesting. As others have said, it's a bit too average for my liking.
    A 3/5 sounds perfect to me.

And fanfiction.net views and reviews mean nothing. You could find plenty of truly awful fics with a lot of positive reviews on that site.

@Heather: Necro was justified in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  20. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I think he's entitled to it since he's the author. And civil about that.

Anyhow, what I said in my previous post still applies and things like the excerpt below keep it from being worthy of DLP's library.