1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A crack at a fangirls mindset

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tragicmat1, May 8, 2011.

1. ItsAProcess

ItsAProcess Fourth Year

Really? Man, I need to go read the books again. I miss where Ginny stumbled upon a heretofore unrevealed horcrux before she was even enrolled in Hogwarts. Pray tell, good sage. Where is this revealed in the first book?

2. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Well aren't you fucking clever. You really showed him.

3. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Way to be a pretentious douchebag.

4. ItsAProcess

ItsAProcess Fourth Year

That's me!

Yep, next I'm going to go pick on some retards and kick some puppies. After that I think I'll spend my time thinking up new ways to get reactions out of people on the internet on a forum mentioned for it's tough attitude and sarcastic, cynical airs.

In all seriousness, I was playing around. Perhaps it was in bad taste.

On Topic? Ginny is just far too shallow a character for me. We know very little about her. Yes, this point has been explained and explored already in depth, so I'm not going to repeat what others have already said in ways that are no doubt superior to whatever I might spew. She's far too stereotypical for me to be able to like or appreciate. I prefer a girl with some motivation besides romance and popularity.

I doubt I'm in the minority.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

It takes you time to think these things up?

It's not that your sarcasm or cynicism are unusual - it's that you aren't funny or entertaining with it. You can't just quote/enlarge words, spout nonsense, and expect it to mesh well; these things take skill.

It's a process.

6. ItsAProcess

ItsAProcess Fourth Year

I'm not particularly good at it, no. But I've always been a believer of Do or Die in cases such as this. How better to learn than by putting myself in a situation where I'm presented with examples of how to do it correctly, and where doing it incorrectly will gain me ridicule and punitive actions?

Also, Hah. Very good.

7. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    /my two cents.

8. halffareprince

halffareprince First Year

This is true, but I think the problem isn't just the impossibility of adding nuance to a character while in third-person limited perspective of someone with a huge crush—it's the breakdown of the distance/irony between the author and her POV character in HBP.

In GOF/OoTP Rowling manages to give us both Harry's hopeless infatuation with Cho and a hint that the author, or some hypothetical objective narrator, might not see the same things about her. In HBP JKR seemed, to me, as infatuated with Ginny, or the idea of Harry and Ginny, as Harry was—and to me that's the major POV failure of the series.

9. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

Why did you bump this?

Why beat a dead horse, man, we've obviously squeezed all the blood out of the stone so let it get back to it's stoney ways.

It's not worth it! Its passed on! This thread is no more! It has ceased to be entertaining! It's expired and nobody cares 'bout it! Its a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in shame! If you hadn't bumped the bloody thread it'd be pushing up the daisies at the bottom of the page! It's asinine debates are now 'istory!

It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-THREAD!!

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  10. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

I think it's time for your meds. :|

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Meh. halffareprince raises valid counterpoints to my post and I see no problem with his/her doing so. I'd like to see more thoughtful posts like this from new members who have taken the time to read the thread.

Regarding the content of halffareprince's post: Through the lens of JKR's Weasley beatification, much of it coming from public comments made after she wrote the series, a point could be made that by HBP, Ginny may indeed have been put on a pedestal by the author. I think, though, that one should recognize that her treatment of Ginny and Cho is a false equivalence. What Harry felt for Ginny was clearly more intense and affected his judgment more viscerally (the monster in his chest didn't appear until book 6) than the somewhat abstract infatuation he felt for Cho. In comparing the two, it's also worth noting that with Cho, Harry was lacking a year of maturity and experience and he had far more opportunity for jealousy with Ginny, seeing both daily and bunking with his rival, so it was bound to become a more prominent part of his life.

This probably comes down to personal interpretation, ultimately. I will say, though, that I find I enjoy the series more (and hate the characters less) when I frame the Ginny thing in book 6 the way I described. Perhaps I'm looking for ways to give JKR more credit than she deserves.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  12. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Missing a Monty Python reference? For shame.