1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP A Discordant Note by Noodlehammer – M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Mar 3, 2019.

1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I agree with all of the completely accurate and true critiques about the story.

I still turn off all the lights and read every new chapter. FML (And judging by the completely justified hate boners in this thread, yall do too lol)

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It's like watching a train wreck. I want to see how it ends.

3. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

It'll never end. Knowing Noodlehammer, this is but the first universe to be despoiled by Harry's gargantuan cock.

4. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

A Discordant Note has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 26
    Words: 329,370
    Updated: 2020-07-28 10:29:44 UTC
    Published: 2018-08-13 20:37:47 UTC
    Previously updated: about 1 month ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

5. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

Chapter 27 just came out.

Really, I had no prevailing thoughts reading it except thinking about the utter shitshow it would be if this ADN Harry ended up in the Imperium of Man.

Apparently one of the ethnic groups of Planetos was worse than 'the Muslims and Jews combined'

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  6. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 27
    Words: 343,677
    Updated: 2020-09-02 13:11:29 UTC
    Previously updated: about 1 month ago

7. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 28
    Words: 351,553
    Updated: 2020-09-20 08:20:52 UTC
    Previously updated: 18 days ago

8. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

It's over.

Disregarding Noodle's laughabable "philosophy" and pathetic incel views, the story was just plain boring in the last 15 chapters or so. I couldn't care less about some metaphysical battles with gods. That's not what ASOIAF is about. But that's what you get with ridiculously overpowered Harry. The next fandom to be offended - Warcraft. Chapter 1 already posted.

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I don't think it deserves a new thread, but I don't think xion will keep updating unless we make one. :\

10. Archinist

You know, the end of the chapter where they said "this place is chock full of things that could kill us," I thought they'd get sent to Warhammer 40k, and the annoying cunt and his posse would become Tzeentch's bitch, and not even know it, or get sent into the Astra Telepathica's Black Ships, and get sacrificed to the Astronomican, to power the Emperor, or get soulbound and await a long and grisly life of service to the Imperium.

Harry gets too big for his britches and gets slapped the fuck around by Mephiston or Eldrad or Khayon or Tigurius.

But that would be interesting and fun.

I don't know if I have it in me to read the next story, even to insult it.

Also, @Jon , here is the next failed abortion if you want to read it.

11. ROTH963

ROTH963 First Year

I don't know about everyone else, but I actually really enjoyed the story, it felt like it gave perspective from the point of view of the powerful wizard, the guy that make the artifacts and can conquer countries with his power.

Some things I didn't agree with, like his philosophy about women, but I still really enjoyed the rest of it.

Harry was ridiculously overpowered for this world, to the point he was basically a god even before becoming an actual god, which put his conflict with the mortals not at a physical one but more for the interest of seeing them interact, there were physical threats along the story (all of which were gods), some of which bitten him in the ass when his arrogance made him underestimate them because of their limited abillity to interact with the world and their followers being significantly less powerful than him.

For the consistency of updates, the assurance Noodlehammer would finish his story (which he did like all his others), the quality of writing and just plainly really liking the story, I would give it 5/5 even if I am of lone opinion in this site.
    A story being created just to give a bad end to a character is generally not a good one, but let's for a second presume Harry actually landed in Warhammer.

For start, Harry scanned his landing to be on a planet, so it is impossible he would have landed in the black ships, second is that what attracted him to Azeroth was how magical it was, there are plenty of magical worlds in 40k, from ork occupied worlds, to daemons worlds to exodite worlds, but non of them actually stand out, the most likely world Harry would have chosen would be Terra thanks to the astronomican.

His spell targeted landing in a safety area, so he wouldn't be in direct threat and it will probably take him less than a minute to know where he is with the Emperor blaring strongly enough to light the whole galaxy, after which like any sane warhammer fan, he would ditch the universe, his first action upon noticing he is in Azeroth was destroying the disc of Tzeentch and deciding to never think about Warhammer again.

The real risks would be what could happen to him in the meantime before he leaves, Tzeentch is an obvious one, his disc might give Tzeentch an opening if he could be bothered in the hour or few Harry take to remake to dimensional jump ritual, if he even could so close to the astronomican, Harry would be immune to any direct control thanks to his time as the father of freedom, and his first destination would be planetos again so he can purge the leftover influence if there is any in a place where he is a god, that is not stopping Tzeentch from using precog to play him, but this is a risk to anyone in Warhammer.

Another threat is the Emperor, Harry being in safety thanks to the spell means he can avoid the law enforcement for however long it take to jump again, but having been the god of mankind in his last world might make him conceptually too similar to the emperor or something, it could end with anything from becoming a saint with zero payment to being eaten or being subsumed and becoming an avatar like R'hllor tried to and anything in between.

All of those stuff would need to happen very fast before he leaves, and worst case if it isn't instant is being forced to turn into a lich, it would be damaging if he is forced to lichdom or what would be done to his soul in the meantime, but unless he get bad end in less than a hour or something (more like instant because Lichdom will protect him from most effects), he should be capable of surviving this short stint.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  12. Archinist

I know, that's why I wanted it to happen.

I liked the story when it was starting and I still had a fetish for empire-building fics. My taste has changed however, and the end of the story started to feel incredibly forced.

13. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Has he said which expansions he's going to be using? I'd love a WoW story that actually had characterization and did stuff within vanilla and Burning Crusade. I don't even want to open the fic if he's going to oneshot the Lich King and then strangle Death Wing with his bare hands.

14. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

It's taking plums' story Wizard Runemaster as the starting point, so it starts in vanilla (before Shadow of the Necropolis), and plums got to Burning Crusade before he stopped updating 18 months ago. Noodlehammer hasn't said how far he'll go.

15. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Insulting wow lore? Anything noodlehammer writes is more consistant and better written than the dumpster fire that is written nowadays.

16. ROTH963

ROTH963 First Year

As of right now he seems not overpowered in the setting, he is extremely powerful, starting off as an extremely powerful arch mage, I am not an expert in the lore, so maybe even the strongest mortal one (and it isn't a sure thing, he didn't claim to be the strongest spellcaster, even the strongest mortal one, at least not yet), but he isn't godlike.

As of right now he is a medium fish on the large side in his pond, there are bigger fish, he can't disregard other medium fish even if they are slightly smaller or he would die, small fish in big groups are now actually dangerous thanks to their magic, and the reason right now that he can make big change in the setting is his abillity to invent things he needs for situations (like something to concentrate fel corruption so that people who can purge it can do so in one go as opposed to slowly driving it out of everywhere slowly).

He is glass canon to indirect magic, his crafting and blacksmithing provide extremely good armor, but it doesn't really help with spells that don't travel in space and just happen, like the curse of agony, the mooks in Azeroth have the damage resistance of juvenile dragon from HP earth, this presumably won't be a problem once he finished his new artificial bodies based on local materials (of which even common grass can be comparable in potency to the strongest regent you can find on earth, Azeroth is absurdly magical).

When he tries to communicate with Azeroth, it merely noticing him is enough to make him break from the mediation in cold sweet from the sheer weight of her regard, even knowing she means him no harm, even after months inside the hyperbolic time chamber to try to increase his stamina and discovering she is asking for help, he still can't stand it.

He will probably get stronger with time, as he learn more local magics (and even than, some will never be fully usable to him, he can't become an arch druid for example without binding himself to nature in a similar way the others bound themselves to cold and darkness/maybeVoid, thus closing other doors to magic, which he is unwilling to), and Elune mentioned fanning his divine spark from the former world, so long term, this could also be a way to increase his power to the top tier of the setting (with the obvious exception of titans and possibly other greater beings like the void lords).

And I have little doubt he will get to the top of the setting, eventually, all of Noodlhammer's protagonists do, but he doesn't start there and as of right now, trying to fight Deathwing head on will result in a massy death in my opinion with his so far revealed capabilities, not really an expert of the lore, so I don't know how strong the lich king is, but I am guessing it is going to be while possible, an extremely dangerous thing even one on one (which it won't with the lich king having the scourge).