1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Antivash, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

So. After ages away from Steam and gaming, I return to find out there is a Rome/Age of Empires looking game for A Game of Thrones.

I enjoy the show well enough but haven't read the books. So I have no idea how this stacks up against canon. Anyone wanna be my guinea pig and investigate? D:

2. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Something I'd be keen to hear some opinions of as well. Playing Dragon Age at the moment, don't have time for a second game, but if it's decent it'd go on the list.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The diplomacy system would make or break it, as that's what GoT is really all about. Without a good diplomacy system you might as well play the Westeros map in Civ5.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What's it with games that you have to download them anyways, even though you have bought the physical copy? I don't understand why you can't simply install from the CD/DVD anymore.

Fifa 12 did this and Game of Thrones does it too >_>

edit: okay, apparently it does install from the disk but it stills need an active Internet connection to do so which is nearly as bad. My university accommodation is being a real douche about gaming and they've disabled all the ports so that no one can game or even update their games online. Not even Pokemon Online works.

Should work though, once installed.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  5. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I've been playing this in my spare time. So far, it's pretty solid.

The diplomacy system is fascinating, and I've won the game with nothing but secret alliances and one assassin. Actually, that's how most of my vs. PC games go. I use spies to construct secret alliances. When I see the great lord, I send an assassin after him. End of game.

Worth a play, I'd say.

6. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Dragon Age 2 being a huge disappointment, I downloaded this and resolved to give it a try.

I must be spoilt by games like Empire: Earth, but I don't think it's brilliant. Clunky, far too quick for an RTS, and the single player campaign is a complete waste of time. That said, the House v House single/multiplayer is passable. I'm sure there are depths of it I haven't plumbed, but I've won two games and feel like I've done all there is to do, and thus wasted £30.

I wouldn't recommend it to any hardcore RTS players, nor to any ASoIaF fans, because the RTS side isn't great, and there's fuck all relevance to the books. So I guess I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

2/5 - a few redeeming features, but overall, bad.

Back to Civ4 I go.