1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Last Resort by LDR - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Imperius, Jun 15, 2008.

1. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I finally read the two latest chapters of this one.

When it started it was typically cliche, but as it got going I think it was the lack of angst in a Harry-meets-his-parents fic that I liked. It was something of a guilty pleasure. The author was a bit all over the place between having Harry dueling the Dark Lord, then suddenly pretend to be average. Some of the duels started out okay.

But now it's just gotten tedious. The author, excuse me, I mean the original character Brittany is horrendous. As in, if you tried to make a parody OC/Mary Sue, then Brittany is a hell of a fine place to start.

She and Harry try to banter, but it's just bad. I'd really rip into the giant misstep this character and romance with Harry is, but I feel like I'd just be picking on a little girl. Let's just say everything to do with Brittany is a cockmeat sandwich and leave it at that.

But with the supposed development of the characters, how poorly the Slytherins mocking them at Hogsmeade was, and how I don't even like this Sirius, or care about any of these others... it's not even a guilty pleasure anymore. It's a tedious annoyance.

2/5. Not for me. Not for DLP. If you're a girl, and pre-teen or younger, this might be enjoyable. Of course, if you're a girl, pre-teen or younger, and reading DLP, you have serious issues. Run. You're probably about to get raped.

2. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

This was updated, and while I admit the characterization early on was...iffy, this last chapter I truly enjoyed. A full-scope battle between Harry and Dolohov, who was empowered via Dark Ritual courtesy of Voldemort.

Perhaps some overuse of apparition as an escape method, but it was mentioned that it was the most reliable way to not be hit by a curse (which makes sense - can't hit what isn't there), so it works, I guess. I dunno if this raises it to Library quality, but it's certainly something that I'll follow, as the technical aspects of the writing are fairly good, and the battles have been half decent.

I look forwards to seeing the fallout of the sheer scope that this 'duel' encompassed, as many muggles were...ah...affected.

3. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This chapter actually bored the heck out of me. Already I feel as if this author has spent too much time emphasizing fights with all the dueling. I just bothered to read the first few and last few paragraphs when I realized the only thing in this chapter was a battle royale.