1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Memory of Light ( Random ideas and concepts to help us wait for it to come out)

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by syed, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    True enough on the vagueness, but what's important in this case is that the characters believe, and in this case they believe he will Break the World. So chances are no one is making long term plans beyond the most general ones (Rand's schools and the likes).

2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Rand's schools are where he is trying to leave a legacy after what he thinks will be his death. He believes the prophecy about his blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul, and wants to be remembered for something good, unlike Lews Therin.

I was talking more about how I think the book will continue after the last battle and show the characters deal with the problems as they try to rebuild.

3. syed

syed Supermod

SUre he is said to break the world, but the thing is it was never said that he couldnt remake the world afterwards.
    WIll Rand become head of the Ashaman, or simply the dragon who is married to the queen of andor?
    SChools founded by taveren will help restore things that were lost.
    I wonder if Rand could convince tuon to adopt some of artur hawkwing rules of law. SO give fair represntation of law and freedoms.

4. Bill Door

Don't forget that Rand is king of Illian but he might give that up now they've found the last king.

Personally, I think he will step back from the running of the world. He controls Tear, Illian and the Aiel. Elayne controls Andor and Cairhein. Perrin will probably become king of Saladea and Mat is married to the Seanchan empress. With Egwene in charge of the Aes Sedai and Logain in charge of the Ashaman, they should be able to cooperate to rebuild after the last battle.

Given that Hawking hated the Aes Sedai as well, it is unlikely that that argument will work. It was only justice and freedom for those that didn't disagree with him. That might convince them to free the slaves but they will need to be convinced of the advantages of freeing the channelers.

5. syed

syed Supermod

THey know the aiel will need to change to survive, so they could they return to their former duties, Rand does have his previous life memories.

Uncollared channelers can link, use ter'angreal and angreal. Also both those who have the spark in born or learned could be put to work.

I wonder if logain will become a major ghealdan noble, his estates returned and expanded. THe black tower will get destroyed, but where will they go, some island city, or tar valon.

6. Bill Door

The Aiel wouldn't want to go back to what they were. They are disgusted by the thought of tinkers. Most of them would see a life of doing no harm as the worst thing possible. My guess is that Aviendha will lead them to become more integrated with the other nations instead of just returning to the waste. That along with Egwene's plan to bring the women who can channel together will prevent them being destroyed.

Logain wouldn't need to have his lands restored. He could have more power with the black tower than he ever could as just another noble in a minor nation. My guess is that they will band together with the white tower. Maybe make use of the giant palace that Elaida was building.

7. syed

syed Supermod

At one point aes sedai were often given high positions in the empire, it was the Red Mother who turned the king against them and made him mistrust them. It was only when Ba'alzamon become one of his counselors, that he put a price on each Witches head.

WHile logain would have plenty of power in the black tower, he would love to have his ancestral estates returned to him as well as his title officially.

I said the Aiel will find service ,i never said it would be peaceful, isome of them possibly would try for the original aiel route, but instead they will be the army and assistants to the servants of all.

NEW SPRING was to be the first of three prequal books, does anyone know what the other two were going to be and if sanderson plans on writing them.

8. Bill Door

While yes, it was only due to the influence of Ba'alzamon, the hatred of Aes Sedai is still how Hawking is remembered. No one knows about what Ba'alzamon was doing when he was free so everyone thinks that it was how Hawking felt. Also the Seanchan's experience of Aes Sedai across the ocean is of people who used their power to rule, and in battle. Even Tuon, who has spent time with Aes Sedai and knows that they aren't as bad as the stories say, still thinks instinctively that they should be leashed.

As far as I know Sanderson was only approached to finish the main series. There hasn't been any mention of him writing in the wheel of time universe after A Memory Of Light. I don't think that there was even any mention of when other prequels would be written or what they would feature, before Jordan died

9. syed

syed Supermod

From the http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/, it said there were to be 3 prequal stories
    -NEW SPRING
    -The second prequel was to be the story of how Tam al'Thor found baby Rand on Dragonmount and returned to the Two Rivers.
    -The third was to be the story of how Moiraine and Lan arrived at the Two Rivers just in the nick of time.

He also was said to be writting notes on around three outrigger stories, not based on the main story line. One was definitly about Mat and Tuon in Seanchan after the great battle. Outrigger is defined "A projecting frame extending laterally beyond the main structure", so any of these books will be clearly different from normal books in the series, enough perhaps to act as stand alone stories. They mentiond around three books, when there are three continets that were never truly explored: Seanchan, Shara and the Land of Madmen. This would ensure they would be remarkably different from each other and the main series overall.

As robert jordan's illness got increasingly servere, he wrote copious notes to cover many storylines and plot arcs, it makes sense he might have expanded upon the extra stories, as a way to think through the possibilities. I kinda hope Sanderson does complete those stories, it would give use more unique pespectives on Rand land.
    By the way I found a cool Rand land map, but not in english sorry to say.
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/map of seanchan/barid/DSC/risiko/randwelt.jpg

For the Seanchan book, I bet its about the consilidation. Mat would be incharge, infact I wonder if he would use this to convince tuon to temporaily pause on her expansions else where. By blackmail if needs be, if he conquers that empire then that would make him the emporer nor her, a story on fanfiction used this idea.
    If the ways have been cleared, I can see Mat borrowing the talisman of growing to establish a network in The empire at all the cities and ogier groves. That due to the fact if any one still loyal to the Royal family, it would be the ogier of the empire. Mat will take a full company of his dragon cannons, allong with a fully outfitted band of the Red Hand. He could likly hire many mercenaries as wel as other forces, promising land and titles.
    I wonder though if he would hire any channelers, male or female to accomying him. We know from Seanchan prophercy, that when the empire will be restored it will be from the Towers of Midnight. If they star from here in the city of Imfaral, then most likly will first concentrate on controlling the northern continet first.
    He has three options for supplies, set up way gates, use travelling, or contract the Sea folk who are really pissed at the seanchan. Really hope the ways heal, it could be extraordinarily detrimental to the seaflok how ever, But due to limit of size and numbers, not completly.
    I wonder if somewhere in seanchan there is an oath rod, that will be discovered by ta'veren power. He can use this on both sul'dam and damane, to bolster his forces. His sister could come and help with the training and channeling. Does any one else think that mat may be able to channel?, his sister is an aes sedai.
    Due to the effects of the Dark one, his bubbles of darkness, and shadow spawn and darkfriend forces being send through portal stones to cause chaos and destruction, any source of order, safety or even food would be greatly welcomed. Do seanchan channelers, even know weaves to preserve food, and repel vermin.
    The aiel are spoiling for a fight with the seanchan, so would love a chance to attack their home land even if they are bring peace there, so long as they get their customary fifth.

For Tam, i bet we will see him fighting the aiel and leading his men, possibly even see him being named a blade master or simply getting the heron marked sword. I wonder if tigrain had any last words or thoughts? We know he is already married, but as she is from andor's capital, likly they would visit on the way to the two rivers to visit her merchant family. As she dies while rand is still young, could it be seen in this story. Once the war is over. he likly goes straight back home, or first goes back to illian to be discharged then to the two rivers. There are rumors he killed laman damodred, his sword came from a blade master who needed killing, so possible that he was there when the aiel had vengence and helped.

For the story about moirane and lan arrival in time for bel time, well logain causing trouble in ghealdan, quite possibly involved. rumors about darkfriends heading to the area. Find those that would be considered the old blood, finding references that lead them to the fallen kingdom of manetheon.

If there is a book about the Land of Madmen, it likly involves the Ashaman. During the Breaking, male channelers went to this continet to attempt to contain the damage they would eventually do to a smaller arrea. It is likly they carried items aligned to their side of the power, or simply belonging to them with them. So male ter'angral, sa' and angreals. Some of them likly killed themselves over them, when they succomed to the madness. This continet is barely known, so who new adventure and exploration is possible here. Only the coast was barely mapped.

Shara while mysterious is better known. With the loss of their figure heads of state, and rumors of chaos all around. I wonder if there will be attempt to convince tthe tatooed not to kill the male children produced after they reach a certain age. Find out wy they hid themselves so much. Does sharra have ogier or even ways.

10. Bill Door

I hope that Sanderson does write these books, but he has his own original books that he is working on, as well the Wheel Of Time, so it could be a while before he gets around to writing them. Also just because Jordan left his notes behind doesn't guarantee that they will ever be written. Jordan had previously said that no one else would write wheel of time books. While he allowed Sanderson to complete the main series, that might be all he is going to do.

For the Seanchan book, would it not be likely that Tuon would extract a promise of help to reclaim her land, from Rand, in exchange for her support at the last battle. Extending the ways wouldn't have that great an effect as it's still only the ogier who are able to read the guidings and I doubt they'd let just anyone use them. Considering their distaste for war I doubt that they would let Mat take his armies through. Mat isn't able to channel, the ability to channel doesn't run in families. Also it would go against his character, he's the one who always tries to avoid the one power, even if he is capable of learning I doubt that he would want to, nor would he have time to learn.

The book about Shara would likely focus on Jain Farstrider, we saw him in the main series hiding his identity. I think that it would be possible to do a book on his adventures and how he came to be captured by Ba'alzamon, this would include his time in Shara.

11. Aekiel

High Score:
    Well, it is implied that the ability to channel is hereditary, just that it's a recessive trait that has been gradually eliminated as male channellers died (after stilling or not) without children. That's why there were so many channellers from the Two Rivers area, because it had been so untouched by everything that had been going on that the channelling genes were allowed to flourish.

12. Bill Door

The idea that channelling was hereditary was just an idea that Sheraim had to explain the reduction in the amount of channellers being found, they were culling it out of the population. But I thought that the idea was disproved by the sudden influx of men and women found once they started actively looking for women. Also if that were true wouldn't there be almost no channellers found in Seanchan as neither male or female channellers have children.

13. Aekiel

High Score:
    Not necessarily. The influx of women simply means that the culling hadn't gone on long enough for the genes to be lost, and they were spread so far out beforehand that their numbers appear greater than they are in any given area.

As for the Seanchan; the Sul'dam aren't restricted to being celibate. Being Sul'dam is a very prestigious position as well, so they're likely to continue contributing to the gene pool. That is, if the Seanchan people don't kill them all once they find out about their ability to channel.

14. syed

syed Supermod

There are two types of channelers, those who need to learn how to channel or those born able to. Male channelers only went mad if they born with it or some how learned to do, those that new channeled in their lives simply lived their lives and likly had children. Aes sedai only took those that were of a certain age, that had already begun to channel. They never activly sought out new aes sedai. Wilders created blocks on their powers, to allow them to survive. Those that never were found just went on with their lives.
    IN seanchan, only aes sedai born to channel are collared, those that can be taught become suldam. This is a high and valued position in the empire so likly, would make them higly sought after as wives, so big familes are founded. Only male found to channel are executed. I wonder with the male collar and the cleansing of saidin, would the sul'dam now leash men, and so breed those collared men with the collared women, they are property and often seen as animals. SO attempts at breeding, set them up as pairs or simply allow them to choose themselves. I wonder if the empire will collar both those born with the spark and those that could be taught.
    In shara, males born to channelers were bred then executed when they reached a certain age. All channelers were the tatoed.
    In the age of legends, every type of channeler was likly found and taught, but with the breaking, this no longer was possible, so it might be that a larger part of the population is now able to channel, but the seem to be the children of those that can be taught.

If there was a Shara book, what if it was about Olver going to shara? He wants to reproduce Farstridder journey, possibly see extract from the book, or Jain's own flash backs. So every thing heard and rumored about in the series, Olver would find out and get the truth. Also would give an opportunity for birgit to have another adventre and fall in love with this possible gaidal canditate. If trollocs are invading via portal stones and shara is in chaos, would their still be monsters to deal with.

Mat would likly want clean ogier ways, so to ensure a constant source of supplies and men, that are not dependant on channeling. As ogier had the ways in the first place to deal with the longing and distances between steddings, Mat would grow them near groves to aid them. Imperial gardeners seem like the loyal type so will attempt to preserve the empire until tuon returns. Also if he links cities, he cuts down risk of raid on his logistics.
    Also Mat is sure to understand that he will need channelers to combat rebellions, so will use ashaman, as the male collars are still unknown. It doesnt matter that they frighten people, men can still and restore channeling women, which would be useful. He may ask some of the kin to aid him in healing and travelling. Aes sedai may wish to accomying him as place unnown to them, and be able to act from a position of power.

---------- Post automerged 12-17-2011 at 04:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-16-2011 at 04:58 AM ----------

Ashaman would be able to block damane from the source, so can easily capture them with out them detecting anything. THen they could simply collar the suldam, so force them to confront the knowledge they can channel. Also giving them the option of another life than the leash would be effective.
    THose that could channel could be in choas they felt that giant channeling accross the ocean. If mat revealed sul'dam could be leashed when he goes there, then he could cause enough chaos to take over and break the leashing. if the empire is in choas due to the blood, will the common people be desperate for tuon return.

15. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

That's been tried, remember. A lot of the sul'dam either go into denial or accept that they are monsters and need to be leashed. Most of the damane beg for a return to the leash, genuinely believing that they need to be controlled for the good of all.

The whole point about Sul'dame being leashable is a) more likely to result in more leashings then less b) easily enough countered by Tuon's argument about choice.

16. syed

syed Supermod

There will be a great battle at the black tower. those that remain unchanged will attempt to storm past the guards to the aes sedai out side, for their protection and help to link. there may be many darkfriends, but with all those who walk in the light linked, those monsters are doomed. They could possbly capture the dream spike, and anything else that may be present. Imagine what they could do with more oath rods, they could potentially be able to negotiate with the seanchan into abandoning the leash, as an oath rod is far more effective, and would allow them to train sul'dam. They should then evacuate and head for tar valon, the island city would be an ideal position for safty, also next to impossible to invade with their new army guard ant possible gaps. Rand would know how to use it.
    The "the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and
    be consumed by the Midnight Towers" could that mean hopper or that ISAM?
    Elayne did capture the balefire rod, would she dare use it on the trollocs, or simply the way gate, if it ceased to exist ten days ago, then the trolloc invasion never happened.

17. Bill Door

If Elayne used balefire to destroy the waygate it would more likely destroy the pattern than set everything back the way it was. Balefire was forbidden for a reason, it almost destroyed the pattern the first time round. Also Elayne wouldn't be powerful enough to destroy it ten days ago. The battle for Camelyn will be about Olver and the Band, by the time word reaches everyone else it will be too late.

Rand will have to come to the black tower, the good ashaman don't have the numbers or the power to challenge Taim. They wouldn't go to Tar Valon, they'll be a bit busy with the last battle that's about to happen.

Changing the leash for the oath rod is just swapping one type of chain for another. The Seanchan wouldn't be happy with just the same oaths as the Aes Sedai, they'd need something more comprehensive. Rand and co. won't be happy with them using the oath rod to force channellers into slavery, any deal like that will need to have the channellers being freed.

18. syed

syed Supermod

I wonder if Dragonmount could be shaped so it could become the New black tower, if they formed a big enough circle with women, angreal and sa'angreal, they could shape the vulcano, and seal and channel the lava to safety.

19. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Syed: Didn't
    Perrin already kill Luc/Isam in the White Tower in the World of Dreams? I think that one has already come to pass.

20. syed

syed Supermod

Hopper clearly died in that instant.