1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Memory of Light ( Random ideas and concepts to help us wait for it to come out)

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by syed, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

My bad,
    Slayer
    escapes. I thought he was dead.

2. syed

syed Supermod

The Seafolk will need to learn to move with the time, what with travelling and way gates. I wonder if they could ask the ogier for sung wooden ships, would they be better than normal ships. What with the return of anccient weaves and tech, will they attempt to make their ships fly?

3. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Just because Aes Sedai can travel doesn't mean that everyone will stop using ships. Their ships are already faster and better than everyone else. Loial said that there aren't any ogier alive who are able to sing wood large enough to make a bed, how the fuck could they sing a ship. Their entire culture is based around the ships and sailing. The bigger change will be that they'll start to lose their women who can channel to the white tower.

4. syed

syed Supermod

WHat would happen if they built a ship from planks and pieces of ogier sung wood? Instead of using nails, use wooden joints and pegs. Could the ogier seal any gap simply by making the wood form together again.
    Ogier wood last for hundreds of year, with out harm.

5. Bill Door

Why would they bother. It wouldn't have any particular advantage. Not to mention that it would be ridiculously expensive, considering it would take the few ogiers able to sing wood ages to make that many planks. And there are hundreds of Sea Folk ships, they'd never be able to get them all made of sung wood.

Of all the people the Sea Folk will be best able to continue without much upheavel, considering they live in an entirely insulated community on islands no one else is able to reach. They're well out of reach of any trollocs and could probably sit out the last battle completely untroubled. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't mentioned at all, except in passing, for the entire book.

6. syed

syed Supermod

Sea Folk islands may have portal stones. but wont all the island sea folk commited suicide by now.

---------- Post automerged at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

Apparently there are a large number of steddings in seanchan, so those ogier didnt develop such a servere reaction to the longing.
    The ways rightfully belong to the ogier, so they should be the one incharge of them as the only logical neutral party. If mat linked the steddings, with his cannons and forces, he would have secure bases from which to help pacify the empire.

My guess in Seanchan, all the steadings belong to Ogier themselves. WHo seem like the type to stay loyal to the throne.
    Why are way gates out side the steadding, blocked channeling, i didnt realised it stoped objects as well.

7. Bill Door

What do you think will happen at the last battle itself? Will it be just Rand on his own or with a small group, like in The Eye Of The World (possibly the same group for a nice feeling of coming full circle). Or will it be two huge armies in a giant battle. Personally I would prefer it just to be Rand and a few friends, that's how most of the major events in the series have occurred. Will any of the major characters get killed? It would be interesting if they killed off someone like Lan or, hopefully, Nyanaeve.

8. syed

syed Supermod

Loial will likly bring a force of armed ogier.
    Rand will make a circle with two women, using callador. I wonder if the two women will use that wand sa'angreal, and another on, possibly that bracelet moirane had from that tower.
    I always thought the song of the aiel would be needed. People have said the aiel wont return to the sevice of the aes sedai as they deplore pacifism, but the thing is in this new age, the aiel dont need to be pacifists to aid them all. THey could be great as they are, but they could one day return to what they once were.
    Its possible to make wards against shadow spawn correct, so what could a circle made out of as many men and women as possible.

I was reading the guide, and the portal stones not only linked dimensions and other locations, it likly leads to other planets. Be cool to explore what happen beyond the portal stones.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  9. syed

syed Supermod

I just realised this, Elayne has a ter'angreal that hides the holder from the sight of all shadow spawn, and her city is under attack via way gate. I wonder if someone will be sent to seal the gate using those gate leaf keys.

10. Bill Door

By the time anyone is able to get the Ter'angreal it will already be too late. The city was already on fire by the time the Band of the Red hand noticed anything was wrong. Elayne will have brought just about anyone in Caemlyn able to fight with her the the big gathering.

Once people have realised the danger and gotten in contact with Elayne, who will have the Ter'angreal with her, the city will be in ashes. It doesn't matter if they close the waygate once the trolloc army is inside.

It will be down to the Band to save the day, although it could end up like Maradon and the city will be almost destroyed. Olver may do something awesome to save the city either.

On Sanderson's website it says that he has finished the first draft of the book. He said that he expects the revisions to take about six months, so the book should be out by the end of the summer.

11. AnvariX

AnvariX Second Year

Just thought I'd update this thread... a final release date was announced a while ago and, more recently, the cover art was unveiled. The artist who had done the artwork on all previous TOR editions passed away, so a new artist designed this cover. The previous artist's work-in-progress cover is also linked.

Release Date: January 8, 2013

Cover Art: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/05/michael-whelans-cover-for-a-memory-of-light-revealed

Unfinished Cover Art: http://aidanmoher.com/blog/2012/04/...light-by-robert-jordan-and-brandon-sanderson/

12. coleam

coleam Death Eater

I guess it's time for me to get back to my re-read.

13. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I guess it's time for me to expel all the semen in my body onto this keyboaksdnfalksbdfasj

EDIT: keyboard

14. Bill Door

15. Nae

Nae The Violent

Read the prologue bits when they came out. I guess that was another instance of the Ta'veren abilities making more and more people follow him. Sanderson's writing is generally pretty awesome, but he starts off in such a cheesy manner doesn't he? I mean, the opening scene in TGS and the one in TOM were pretty much the same. A random unnamed soldier/farmer feeling the effects of the oncoming final battle. Just a random observation.

Now on to the important part:

MUST...DO........RE-READ...SOON!

D:

16. syed

syed Supermod

he cover art for the story is published, Its Rand with callador, with two women in the back ground. Best guess is it is Moiraine and Nynaeve, the first as she is wearing blue with grey in her hair with a blue jewel on her fore head, the second is she is wearing a yellow dress with a red dot on her forehead.
    We know that for Rand to use Callador, he needs two Aes Sedai, so we guess this is them. We know that Moiraine make sure she got that very powerful angreal. I wonder if to balance those two angreal, Nynaeve will have to use the wand sa'angreal.
    "Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.
    Once for mourning, once for birth.
    Red on black, the Dragon’s blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul.
    In the Pit of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow."

There are four blood relatives of Rand in the story, Galad his half brother, his son and daughter still to be born, as well as his shadow twisted uncle, now only existing as Slayer.
    THe wound in his side contains the taint of the dark one and of marshadar. One has been heal, the other contained. Rand could use a similar weave to contain the dark one's touch. THe blood contains the physical presence of the dark one, similar to liquid saidin. USing that as a basis, he can somehow seal it away.
    THe seals were heartstone, but crumbled to pieces as they were forged using saidin and the dark ones taint broke them. SO to ensure the dark one is stoped, the seal has to made in a way the dark ones touch cant harm it.
    WHat if Rand makes the Ruby dagger the seal? THe city of aridhol drew the taint into it and annhilated each other. WOuld the dark one and marshadar consume each other. That is one way to forever end the cycle.
    Mordeth is somehow linked to Rand, but it seemed to be lessened when he was bonded by Alanna. Since then he has been bonded by his three lady loves, as well as a unique connection to Moridin. He also has been marked and healed of the power of aridhol. If the warder band be transfered, i wonder if the link to mordeth or moridin could be transfered to each other? The taint on saidin was destroyed with contact of aridhol, could something similar used to deal with the dark one.

The twice dawn is an eclipse. It marks the death and birth of an age. So a normal dawn, then the eclipse.

Did any one know he also used a short blade, I wonder if it is a sword breaker.

17. AnvariX

AnvariX Second Year

Well, bumping up a buried thread...

For those of you interested, the entire prologue to A Memory of Light is available for purchase at just about every major ebook seller - although I believe it may or may not be limited to the United States right now. The prologue is entitled, "By Grace and Banners Fallen," is approx. 45 pages long and has me so absurdly pumped for the full release, I'm almost ashamed. There is actually quite a bit revealed and is well worth the $2.99 if you're a die-hard fan who can't wait another four months.

If enough people want, I'll be happy to provide a synopsis in spoiler tags.

Here is the prologue on Amazon.

18. syed

syed Supermod

How much of the prologue is the except that was pre released is? just a way to figure out how big it is.

19. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Its about 45 pages, as AnvariX (may misfortune ever dog his footsteps) said.

I bought it and gave it a read. Some good stuff. Definitely gets the blood pumping for the rest. Not really a spoiler, but this prologue focuses:

Primarily on the Band fighting Trollocs in Camelyn and a touch on the Black Tower, for the most part.

Nae
  20. syed

syed Supermod

Thanks for the prologue hint.

I wonder if the two battles are linked, like a force of shadow spawn are attempting to get out of the city and head to the Black Tower. Are the shadow turned going to the city to support the secret invasion.
    It might be easier for the trapped channellers to escape to the forces camped at the gate, if some force is sent to the city? THen the combined parties could take back the black tower for the light, as with both male and female channelers working together, no single turned man or women can hold against them. THey could also seize any items of power that the tower holds.
    So the Band of the Red Hand know it is trollocs attacking the city, so could convince the mercenaries and house troops to march to help deal with them. Two objectives:get forces to support the inner city, then later the rest to man the gates and the walls of the city. Secondly, they have to get to the warehouses containing the dragons, then use them to destroy or atleast attack the way gate location. As it is in a basement, then if the building is collapsed, then it would tempoarily be closed enough to buy time to get help and support to seal it possibly.