1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Multi-Horcrux?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IBG, Nov 11, 2007.

1. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

I was thinking, what if someone were to make a Horcrux like the diary, but instead of it being one persons Horcrux, two people placing their souls in it.
    The resulting person would be pretty badass with the power of 2 peoples magic, and a full soul since there would be half from each contributor.

I might start my own fic on this theme.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

...........Yeah get the fuck out of my DLP.

3. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

Just wondering what other people thought of it.. calm down lol

4. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

What, When, Where, Why, How?

Your idea needs some more description.

5. Methene

Methene Auror

A Horcrux is done through the splitting of a soul by using the most delightful piece of magic ever invented-Avada Kedavra. So by start, you would need the two people doing it (I am going to go on a hunch here and presume Harry+someone) commit murder at the same time, same place, focusing on one horcrux. Hard to time, but possible. Harry and his new found best buddy, best pal Voldemort do it in the uber secret and dark Slytherin castle on a poor, unsuspecting Ginny Weasley. Redhead bint dies, crying about how she was a stalker and how could this happen to her love blah blah blah.

Since she's a pureblood seventh child the horcrux that results has sufficient magical power, and by containing 1/2 of the soul of two very powerful wizards it is a god!horcrux. So far so good?

But now, the problems start to arise:

1. Why would Harry and Voldemort (or whoever Harry pairs up with) work together to make a horcrux?

This is actually the easiest obstacle to surmount and it has been seen before.

2. How would the actual mechanics of making a double Horcrux work?

There you would have to make up something, because neither canon, nor fanon have provided the material. A good in depth explanation is required anyways.

3. Who would use the horcrux?

The whole point of a horcrux is to emulate the cat with her seven lives (or was it nine?). One of the two dies, and uses the horcrux to resurrect his mortal shell and make himself much more powerful. Conflict would arise, together with jealousy, because neither would want their ''partner'' to get the upper-hand. From now on, either one destroys the horcrux and destroys the whole plot you have been building, or one dies and uses the horcrux.

To summarise, it would be an instant power boost for the person who were to use it. While that would be an efficient way for your character to gain power rapidly, it would have to have a huge back story to it. In my opinion, there would be other easier ways to give a power boost, and this point, although you might make it interesting would not add to the plot a great deal and might transform a good read into something tedious.

And as Kai Shek said, we need more background to your idea. I just speculated here.

6. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

On the "horcrux containing half of a person's soul" thingy:

I don't believe that you actually put half of your soul into a horcrux. It is not meant to become a separate entity as the diary would have done. It is meant to be an anchor for the soul so that it cannot move on. Voldemort's spirit continued to exist after his body was destroyed. No horcrux was used in the resurrection.

The fact that the diary was able to create a new body was because it leeched of the life force of the bint. And I shall assume that it was more than just a simple horcrux. I believe that Riddle had put more into it than into a standard horcrux, if by accident or design, I don't know.

So 'a person resulting' from a horcrux is, in general, a stupid concept.

7. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Ladies and gentlemen, This is our combination Horcrux and Coffee Maker! Also makes Chili and Fries! It will not Break!

{Gentle tap}

It will not...

{Sounds of Horcrux detonating}

... Oh... Um... Nevermind

8. Eladi

Eladi Squib

I want know where you got this awful idea.

World, I could not have explained it better myself.

9. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

This actually gives me an idea:

What if one of Riddle's Horcruxes were someone else's beforehand?

If the two parts of a soul are forced to combine - if only one could survive and neither part want to die - then it could bring in a horde of possibilities.

A Riddle merged with whomever could be cool. How many people could've made a horcrux from a from a founder's item?

He already overlooked the ring's significance, didn't he?

Hell, at the very least it'd bring a whole new level to a mentored!Harry.

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I just thought I'd point out that you don't have to use Avada Kedavra to make a horcrux. It's simply much more convenient than, say, beating some mook to death with a tire iron or flensing them with a grapefruit spoon.

The splitting of the soul is caused by the act of committing a cold-blooded murder. That split off fragment is then bound to an object through whatever spell/ritual it is that is used to make a horcrux.

(For all we know, there are other ways to split your soul than just killing. Maybe you could use a complex ritual to split it without killing someone. Maybe you can split your soul by summoning a demonic entity and having them do it... anything is possible.)

It could very well be that the process of creating a horcrux predates the creation of the Killing Curse. The AK simply happens to be a fairly quick, clean and efficient way for someone who has magic to kill someone else.

One could split their soul by shooting an infant in the chest with a handgun or lopping off an old woman's head with a shovel and then use that act to make a horcrux. The Killing Curse is a very handy alternative for anyone who has a wand on hand and isn't squeamish about casting an Unforgivable.

...and let's face it, if you're creating a soul jar/phylactery/horcrux, you are probably way past giving a shit about forbidden magicks of any kind.

A possible exception to this; Dumbledore. I could totally see him shying away from using the AK, while still creating a horcrux.
    Be honest; if it was for the 'Greater Good' and there was no prophecy about Harry, I could totally see Dumbledore saying, 'The poor boy is an orphan now, killing him would be a mercy.' Then Beardy McRighteous-Robes puts a sleep spell on infant Harry, kills him with an asphyxiation curse and makes a horcrux out of a random but sturdy piece of Potter bric-a-brac. Then, when he gets back to the castle, he drops his newly minted horcrux in one of the deep, forgotten passages of Hogwarts.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

About time someone told them this.

12. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Or in the Chamber of Secrets. Apparently, according to JKR, Dumbledore can speak parsletongue (though he himself is not a natural parslemouth like Tom Riddle was). If he can supposedly speak parsletongue, and a few second years can locate the chamber, then I'm SURE he could have as well.

That aside, I liked your idea.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    According to JKR Ron can speak Parseltongue, so that blows the winds against the sails of Dumbledore. It's just like learning another language, you start off imitating a word or two and work your way up from there.

Aekiel

14. Methene

Methene Auror

I may be confused, but didn't Hermione say in the beginning that Parseltongue was a special ability in the CoS, and how it was a mark of dark wizards and other such tripe.

I don't know but the impression I had in the second book was that Parseltongue ability is something special, not something that the bookworm or Won-Won could learn.

Kind of puts me off the whole idea.

15. Subcomandante_Taco

Subcomandante_Taco Seventh Year

I guess some people (Harry/Voldemort/Salazar) can speak Parseltongue with ease and they're just naturally talented at it, while everyone else has to work their asses of in order to even get a fraction of their Parseltongue-speaking skills.

16. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The parseltongue ability, which allows the person to understand and speak parseltongue as if it were their mothertongue, is magical.

The ability to learn a language is not.

17. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Frankly I'm unimpressed by the mechanism. To murder someone in cold blood along with some implied loss of humanity, never explained, in exchange for immortality. There's just nothing grandiose about it considering it's supposed to be one of the most ultimate of evils.
    Does it have to be a human? Is it related to souls? Why doesn't animals have souls? Do you have to have a certain emotional attachment towards the target?

18. Methene

Methene Auror

That's an interesting question. I guess the creature you are killing has to be of some stature. Otherwise, making a Horcrux would be dead easy. Go into the garden, kill a gnome, and voila immortality. It does seem rather meek, but then killing is a no-no for the ministry.

19. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know in canon it is murder that splits the soul, making it possible to construct a Horcrux. I always thought this was just a weak plot device to make the Horcrux's seem more evil. 'Murder' is such a vague term. When Voldemort kills a Muggle I'm sure he just considers it cleansing the world, not murder. My theory was that AK curse takes a part of your soul (the ripping) charges it with your hate-filled magic (green light) and then shoots it out of the wand. Being part of your soul infused with magic, instead of being just magic there are no shields capable of blocking the curse. The piece of your soul would then 'die'. Except when making a Horcrux in that case the piece of soul is sealed into an object preserving its 'life'.

20. Kenshkrix

Kenshkrix DA Member DLP Supporter

Yea, except that a number of Death Eaters wouldn't have a soul anymore, and would presumably drop dead considering that they were at war for some time, and I'm assuming that they used AKs quite a bit. Or, if not dropping dead, they'd be unable to cast the spell anymore which obviously isn't the case.