1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Random Thought on Portkeys

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Mordecai, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is the saying "All roads lead to Rome"

This obviously hails from the time of the Roman Empire when it was the centre of the known world.

And how does this apply to portkeys you might ask...well, I had the thought that perhaps portkeys work by bouncing the person their transporting off centres of magical power. Obviously this would mean that its easier to portkey to a centre of magical power than to elsewhere.

It would also mean that the portkey "hubs" so to speak occasionally change. In the time of the Roman Empire Rome was THE magical centre of the world and thus any portkey would bounce off it no matter departure or arrival point. Nowadays I would imagine that Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, their international equivalents etc would be the main centres of power.

As I said this is just a random thought on how portkeys might work, so give me your thoughts.

2. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

*glances at his sig.*

Right. :p

Seriously though, cool idea. In fact, you can alter the theory a bit and make magical attraction somewhat akin to gravity: The extra energy required in making a portkey could be used to resist the pull of large magical centers rather than be needed to get the extra "oomph" to get where you need to be from bouncing off said magical centers.

3. Mordecai

High Score:
    That could lead to the supposition that the more magical centres there are the more power is needed to make a portkey. And also that the shorter a distance to be travelled then the more power is needed to stop you from being drawn into a centre of magical power.

Edit: Just had a thought. If we go with the theory that magic acts like gravity, that could add a new dimension to magical dueling. When someone massively powerful like Dumbledore is on the battlefield you would have to compensate your aim as spells might drag slightly towards him, and if you intend to use apparation then you would have to compensate with that as well. It could also add the dimension of the effects from the buildings around the area, or even any animals there are.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  4. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Or you could use this "gravity affect" to slingshot and move faster; for instance, if you were dueling some one and needed to get to the other side of the field and Dumbledore was in your way, you could Apparate in such a way that it slingshots you much faster than usual and you wouldn't even need any of the extra energy to pull away. Hmm, would you be alright with me using this for my Fic, Mordecai?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  5. Mordecai

High Score:
    Sure, go ahead.