1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Second Chance at Life Series by Miranda Flairgold - T/M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ChuckDaTruck, Aug 3, 2005.

1. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Fuck. Read the authors notes at the end of this last chapter. It seems that this is going to be turning into slash sometime soon. :puke:

What the effing hell drives an author to damage a particularly good fic like this one by doing that, I ask? For fucks sake, if you’re going to write slash, say it in the first chapter so I don’t have to waste my bloody time on a story just to have to drop it later.

I'm pissed off so I’ll just go calm down some before I get my sledgehammer and flame this fic to high hell. If we act quickly, we may be able to convince her to ditch the slash.

*Stalks away*

2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

At least Harry doesn't seem to be getting in a slash relationship...though I still am disappointed. Miranda said in one chapter she'd not be doing slash I thought, or make a slash version. If its only the vampires, hopefully it'll be light, and not much mention of it.

3. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

... sniff sniff... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I think she'll only involve secondary characters in romances (het or slash). Harry should remain single in this version... She's probably doing this so she could make that other verion quicker - only has to change Harry's relationship.

5. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

I thought Harry could silently cast spells? What the fuck is with him suddenly shouting out expelliarmus and stupefy during duels??? Other then that, the dueling scene was aiight, and the fics going nicely.

6. Blackstar

Blackstar Second Year

I liked the dueling scene with him losing some slight control over his thunderbird form:) deep fried death eater!!

yum

7. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Extra crispy, indeed. I thought it could have been written better, like the other fights she’s done, but i think its because she has a better hold on the characters she’s made and used frequently, then those she hasn’t used at all, like the death eaters.

Still it was a good chapter, and I liked the fact that his familiar is there as more then filler and actually has a personality. The fact that he can still loose control was good, so he has more work to do, but I would have thought that Bella would be more of a challenge, even if he has all of these new abilities.

This story has been one of my favorites since it was started and I know she can write a better battle then what was in this chapter. Maybe having to go back into the situations that canon established is throwing her creativity off? It’s happened to a lot of stories, but I'm sure she’ll be able to manage. Or at least I hope so.

8. ShadowedDarkness

ShadowedDarkness Second Year

For not slash there have already been references to those relationships in term of the vampire power struggles of course none of it happens on screen so that may be what she is refferring to. As for why cast spells with a voice, simple, never let your enemy know your full capability if you don't need to. He didn't see a need to cast them silently, plus it is easier to cast them with the words.

Still I am heartned by the fact that he is not overly powerful (and there is always people like Tristan Namach to take him on in power terms).

9. Hpsleuth11

Hpsleuth11 Guest

It is a good story but I feel its losing what got me interested in it in the first place. The whole use of bloodmagic and her explanation on how magic works. I hate political battles and that is what i see in the future what with the vampires soon to annouce the existence of magic. I hate in when military and muggle things get involved. For example when somewhere along the line Harry gets a rocket launcher for some reason. Or the military intervenes. Comeon.
    But so far this fic is good.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

11. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Fuck! i hope your right about your assumtion of secondary charcters and slash Raven. In all hounesty i like how she's used the summoning charm and converted it into a fatality move, anyway dueling scene could of probably gone on a bit longer with a few more details. I'm pretty certain Malfoy is a slave to that female ancient is he not? so he better not become an Akren student! or any of the other original characters!

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I think Malfoy is a slave at the moment... I don't see him attending Arken, but she might have him join the resistance (if she like him) or keep him a slave (if not).

As for the battle scene, I think she explained why Harry was fighting like that
    1) He was careful to guard his true fighting style from discovery (so that powerful DE's couldn't figure him out).
    2) He was forced to use only light spells coz of reporters and the whole PR thing.

13. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

I'm fine with him using weak spells, but when you're dreadfully outnumbered, trying to not show talent to keep your enemy off balance seems pretty low priority compared to staying alive. Casting silently=A must if he can do it.

14. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

true, true. but then again anything is possible. i was a bit dissopointed in the animag. having an animag is a bit clichi, especially when he is powerful already. i mean if he was facing an army all he to do is transform in the the flying bird and roast em alive. i guess it's too easy.

15. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

New chapter reminded me of why I get sucked into this story. Nothing terribly remarkable, but it's nice to have decent speed and length updates where I don't have to re-read the whole thing to remember. Some tension and political intrigue goings on. Frustration that between last chapter and this one we've done so little other than just build it up more.

It's like episode 17 of a show like "24." You know nothing big is happening yet, but it's getting more tense waiting to get there.

And yes the story really isn't about Harry Potter or the wizarding world. It's all about how vampires are better and more powerful than us. And all the other species and races and our main character is named Rakhesh. And how wizards and everything in canon is like a junior varsity high school team. With the vampires, and the fae and the elves are the pros. Werewolves and packs, but of course those have been in canon, so the ones in canon are anomalies. Meh. Oh well. I've still invested an awful lot reading this to where I am, and now I realize I'm hankering for more as the tension piles on.

It's a piece of fan fiction I'd heartily recommend if you don't particularly care if there's any semblance of Harry Potter in your Harry Potter fan fiction.

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Agree, she's going way overboard on the whole "wizards are idiots, vampires are kwool" deal... If the wizards are so incompetent and stupid, they would have never gained control over all the other races. Not to mention that deal with America and Canada being bastions of freedom, while Europe is completely corrupt and backwards... Also, her idea of elves is the worst clishe ever - super-powerful and wise, but for some reason, content to live in some isolated city, hiding from everyone... yeah, right.

Still, this is the only active story dealing with other magical races and politics... so without competition, there's no use complaining.

17. daterza

daterza First Year

just read the lastest chapter.It was quiet good in that it is not progressing to fast. :|

18. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

I agree with that Mid. The Wizards are deffinatly too weak and stupid.
    Also Lasers? WTF? How did she come up with that.

But aside from that the latest chapter is pretty interresting.

19. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

lol. This is fanfiction you know. anything is possible.

20. Gamblor

Gamblor Second Year

A new chapter and some really random shit like saving all these creatures are from other planets but i think she added that as a prequil (sp?) to how she is going to get that ancient demon/vamp from the demon demension to help harry. all in all a good chapter leading up to what looks like is going to be a great fight. i just hope she makes the wizards put up a hlaf decent fight.