1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Second Chance at Life Series by Miranda Flairgold - T/M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ChuckDaTruck, Aug 3, 2005.

1. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

I like this series, though it could use a beta and some touching up. However many of the problems that others have brought up such as the incredibly AU storyline or the fact that Harry's name has been basically changed, I simply don't have an issue with. I find that as long as I don't read with the intent to pick out and find errors, it is a most enjoyable story.

However I am slightly let-down by a short chapter of filler and no action.

2. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

More filler, filler oozed from one full stop to another, it had no end. Well the author notes pretty much highlighted everything we already knew, as well as pointing out every climatic plot point...what a waste. I feel so used after reading that, 1/5.

Now that she's effectively killed off HP we're never going to hear that name again, only Ragkesh. I dont know whats more disappointing, tolerating 6 updates of 80% filler, 10% effort and 10% seemingly plot or the fact that now it's so far out of the HP scope that it probably should have its own genre.

3. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

So am i, but it was fun to read about waking the vampire up with bad news.

4. peregrine1989

peregrine1989 Third Year

I read this story to just after the death of Voldemort. Before that it could still be slightly a Harry Potter fic. But after that he basically dumps his friends and disconnects from everything to do with the Harry Potter Universe. While I liked the story and the characterization of the Potter verse characters was good, it lost almost everything with how the author took it. Harry always discovers new powers and leaves old ones in the dust, she has over filled her magic.

That being said, for all the flaws that turned me away from it the story isn't bad.

5. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Update and guess what? Its 99% filler dealing with you guessed it the folks from the past.

6. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

His writing style seems to have gone downhill. It is choppier and more awkward sounding than I can previously recall. True not much happened, and some of the concepts that he discusses seem ridiculous and somehow to perfectly fitting the situation. The entire thing seems to be resolving a little too smoothly. Pretty short chapter and not much advancement of plot.

7. No Earthly Clue

No Earthly Clue Third Year DLP Supporter

First of all it took me forever to get through the chapter. I wanted to just close the damn window and be done with it, but I finished it anyway.

The chapter was so short for the time it took to update and most of it was filler. It also felt rushed and the breaks didn't flow for me. And the chapter left me to wonder when the story will actually end. Next chapter (probably won't even come till next year) better start wrapping things up.

8. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

It seems to me that every new chapter of this story introduces some new super-powerful magical ability/spell/protection that blows everything before it away.

This chapter it was the portal to Chacha-whatty Land that apparently sucks you in, prevents you from escaping, and knocks you out.

Of course the super-cool ancient vampires could easily overcome it, I'm sure.

I seem to remember half a chapter describing how magical control is more important than magical power, but the longer I read this story the more I have to scream bullshit.

Even more so than the HP canon, inborn ability is about a thousand times more important than any amount of skill and knowledge a person can possess. Just look at the vampires and their eugenics.

Speaking of vampires, what is the deal with the "all vampires are bisexual" line of thought? That's almost like saying that vampires have no sexual preferences, since the sex of your partner is about the first thing a person looks at when choosing a partner.

I mean, what the hell? The author is trying to get me to believe that if I were to die and rise again I'd suddenly love the cock?

I don't buy that immortality is the reason why it works because immortal beings like to "experiment." If humans can live to be a hundred years old and never once want to "experiment," then a vampire can damn well live to be ten thousand and never do it either.

I seriously dislike Harry's man-crush on Nicodemus. I distinctly remember one of them lying in the other's lap during the original time travel arc. Someone should probably tell the author that, despite her fangirly fantasies, straight guys don't do that.

This story has many interesting and original (I mean seriously original) ideas, many of which never get expounded upon because they get lost in the filler, the lameness that is everything not Akren, or the coolness that is vampires.

If I had my way I'd go through it with a hatchet, cut out about 50% of the story, and get rid of that garbage.

As it is, reading the recent chapters has become a chore and not a pleasure.

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

What the flying fuck, Darius?

10. Insanity

Insanity Second Year DLP Supporter

Originally I liked this even thought it had a quite a few problems, but now the lest few chapters just keep getting worse, I'll probably read updates just to see what happened but I stopped looking forward to them ages ago.

I you read some of the AN's there's only a few chapters left in this book but there's a whole other book coming before the end.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008
  11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nerdrage!!! Lol.

Personally I think a scalpel would be better suited to the task at hand.

Anyway, this chapter is just another of the latest bunch of mediocre updates. I don't think I'll be following this fic from now on.

Er... what? Darius?

12. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

What are you talking about Namach wouldnt even notice it. Superman might wear Chuck Norris underwear but Chuck wears Namach underwear and sleeps with a little Namach doll.

13. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Really?

I think it would be more likely to find Chuck walking out of Namach's bedroom in one of these chapters the way the author tells it.

14. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

That chapter was the biggest overdose of waste so far. I'm not following this story anymore. It had its moments but the telling is so forced now that I kept scrolling down simply to see the end of the chapter. And I had to read the previous couple of chapters to understand what was going on, I'd forgotten completely.

15. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

If you have seen Balls of Fury this movie can be compared to James Hong's going back to the prostitute. We know it sucks, we know its obvious she is a member a of mega uber super vampire wanna cult. Its obvious that Namach's power is over 9000. We know its gonna get worse. BUT WE STILL GO BACK TO IT!!! WHY?!?!

16. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Horrified fascination maybe?? A bit like looking at a train wreck...unless masochism has become a common trait in DLPers of late...

17. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    wat da fuck!?

18. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

I think he just means, "Look at that! How can you like this story?!"

19. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

The above-mentioned is actually a good question, considering how many different kinds of FAIL are present in this story.

20. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

The time has come yet again to read and ask the question of all questions. WHY THE HELL AM I STILL READING THIS!!!

updated