1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Second Chance at Life Series by Miranda Flairgold - T/M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ChuckDaTruck, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Urgh. I used to like this quite a bit but now... well, I think it sucks. Wizards are too weak, full stop. It's quite annoying, really. Why doesnt the vampire elders just kill Voldemort already if they are so badass? Pfft.

The Dementors being scared - scared - of the vampires just knocked me for a loop. I couldnt stop laughing at it. Urgh.

I better stop before I rant...

2. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

This story was great until chapter 28.

After that STOP reading. Its a slow descent into shit.

This story has only ONE (1!) problem: The Vampires are too powerful.

Everything else stems from that.

3. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

I think this story is great, While like many others do I think the vampires are a bit to powerful but at the same time is it only the ancients that are
    really powerful and it would be unrealistic to have beings that are many thousands of years old be weak, they are powerful when compared against humans because their millenia of knowledge and the power they have gathered in the millenia.

It would be worse if it is like some other stories when even newly turned vampires are more powerful then Voldy...

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Its not only the elders that are too super-powered. The Fey or whatever attacked Harry's mind from the other side of the planet... seriously, what the hell? o_O

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Hell, even Centaurs can kick Harry's arse... and Harry is already one of the 10 most powerful wizards on the world.

6. Gamblor

Gamblor Second Year

I think your missing the point she is trying to make. ENGLANDS and to a extent all of europe are so backwards in their magical thinking because of pureblood ideals that they ARE weak compared to the rest of the world. Harry may be one the the ten most powerful fighters in britain but i would dount he would top the 500 list right now world wide. while he is still powerful and has a LOT of potential he is still only 17-18 and undertrained. I don't care how powerful magically he is anyone of normal power at his school (which is for elite) that has finished their education should be able to put up a damn good fight to him cause it is the application of power that is important. she is making him work for his power.

And yes everyone seems to be ubber powerful but you do realise he is at the BEST school in the world for all species and dealing with the single most power members of the vamps and humans (the headmaster) and the best fae ( the eldars) I would expect anyone 3000 years on to be able to wipe the floor with a wizard who is 40. not all of them are that powerful but HArry has a habit of meating the best. And she made a point the the rest of the wizarding world is far ahead of europe in skill. Rant over.

7. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Err... I'd guess that right now Harry and Voldie are nearly cream of the crop for mortal wizards with power. Harry doesn't have all the skill to use that power as effectively as Voldie yet, but he's at the best school for it in this odd universe. Most people's problems with this fic stem from the fact that the author has turned 95% of canon into complete worthless crap. Hogwarts loses all of it's mystique and interest. The only remotely canon characters playing any sort of role are Moody and Kingsley. I like this Harry, he's a bit better than the weiner he was in HBP. But with a new name, new personality, all new friends, new school, new relationships, and essentially new rules about magic... well, and I'm using "new" to say "completely made up." I mean, if you're a big fan of Harry Potter, you very well may hate this fanfiction. Because there's not much of the Harry Potter world in it.

JKR has wizards and witches, who think they're better than muggles.

Miranda has added in vampires, elves, fae, werewolves, demons, packs, clans, heirachies, and all these other species (not to mention tribes in a semi-random jump backwards in time) and put them above wizards. This story basically turns many of the good guys in canon, into small-minded idiots barely different from the bad guys in canon. Who are all still bad guys.

I enjoy reading the fic, and the ending of the last chapter with Namach calling out Voldie as a 'whoreson' was pretty nifty. But only if you don't mind your Harry Potter fan fiction as pretty much an original fantasy fic barely relating to Harry Potter. Alternate Universe doesn't even really cut it as a description. This is a wholly and completely different universe.

That and I've never liked the name 'Rakhesh.' It felt like she was trying too hard when she gave him that name. Or planning on turning him into a homosexual vampire.

8. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

I'm of same opinion of Nonjon, the fic is kinda decent on that he/she has expanded on the tiny little world that JKR is so fixated on keeping. Though i'm quite put out that every wizard is weak and every other being is fucking God, it's just hard to comprehend that "the Elves would wipe out everything if you piss them off"...ok what the fuck? Anyway it's still an all right read, because it is just so much different.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

The only thing wrong in this fic is that she'd overpowered pretty much every new race/culture/breed/character she'd invented so far (hell, even those savages from the past were more powerful that modern European wizards).

But I guess that's more than excuseable, considering how ambitious and vast her universe actually is. I mean, do you people even realise how complex and hard it is to write something like this? Most authors have difficulties to invent even a simple OC name, or look up spell names in a latin dictionary. I honestly don't think that any other author ATM can match the pace and quality with which this girl chunks up new ideas and implements them in her work.

Bottom line, her critics should try and create the amount of new characters, cultures, races, creatures and magical concepts Miranda does, AND then sync them up with the disjointed mess that JKR had spewed up and declared it for HP canon. If someone manages that (and I seriously doubt that anyone but nonjon would even have a fair chance), then feel free to go out and bash this story for its blatant AU-ness.

Until then, this stays one of the best HPuniverse-upgrade stories around... if nothing else, then simply because there's not much of a competition in that category anyway.

10. Gamblor

Gamblor Second Year

The one thing I really want to see is a bunch of normal "ie non arken alumni" from america australia or canada where apparently they are not as backwards as europe and see how powerful they are in general. I think that they would be the definition of a normal wizard in this fic because they dont have all those restraints on the types of magic they can use apparently (Probably some restraints but not and entire branch of magic ie bloodmagic) and they mingle with vamps and werewolfs and a lesser extent fae. they would be the appitamy of a NORMAL wizard for skill and power in my opinion.

11. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

I would also like to see what level of skill and power "normal" wizard are at. Maybe have some writting about when Ginny and Luna arrive at Salem and how they are forced to be placed in much lower year and such...

12. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Read the last chapter.

Can you tell this is a Harry Potter story?

It's massively AU, has no pairing (because the author is a creepy slash fan who loves Harry so much, she can't stand him going out with a girl other than her, so she wants to pair him up with another guy), and is so off tangent its ridiculous.

13. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Completely agree, when he was transported on the Rune rock I stopped reading.

14. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    At least she isn't making the pairing slash. She will, however, have a slash version, which I am soooo not reading.

15. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

The story keeps me interested enough to keep reading it, but it's not really a Harry Potter fic any more. He has a new appearance, new attitude, new name, new friends, new freakin' everything! It is not Harry Potter.
    Edit: This really should be in the AU section

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  16. CGB

CGB Auror

Yeah you're right. It isn't Harry Potter anymore. But nonetheless it's interesting. It's one of the few good post-HBP stories without time-travel (I know it has time-travel but you know what I mean) that I've read.

17. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

This story is so going downhill. What is the whole point of Voldemort if he isnt able to hurt a fly.
    It seems that the whole point of the story is to glorify the vampires and redicule Voldemort and the Wizards.......

She also has about 10 Subplots which are never mentioned again.....

18. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Even though this isn't really a Harry Potter fanfic anymore, it is still an excellently written story. The facts that the vamps are overpowered is explained quite plainly...as they age, their magic becomes stronger, and they are masters of bloodmagic, which also strengthens their magic.

However, I have to agree with y'all that the part where they go back in time to South America or wherever is pretty stupid. As of right now, I see absolutely no indication that she has remembered that tiny detail that Harry is now part dragon or something. And Daray being a demon? WTF?

All in all, this is a great work of fiction, but if you dislike massive AUs or stories that stray dangerously far from JKR's set world, then you won't enjoy this story.

19. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Uhh its kinda hard not to stray isn't it? Really she left us in a pretty crapy spot with Half-Baked Plot.

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

This story, in all honesty, is horrible. I'm glad to see a few people said that this isn't Harry Potter, because it really isn't. It just seems to be a bashfest on anything and everything canon. This stupid bitch, Miranda Flairgold, just took the character and universe of Harry Potter and mutilated it beyond all comprehension.

You know, I would rather read one of Jeconais's fluffy as hell H/G works than this pile of steaming turd. It might be a nicely written pile of steaming turd, but it is a pile of steaming turd nonetheless. Have I said pile of steaming turd enough yet? Have I gotten my point across? If not: this story is a pile of steaming turd.

The author bashes all of his friends, bashes Hogwarts, bashes Magical Britain, bashes the whole magic of HP in general, creates this uber powerful school that NO ONE has ever heard of (except for people the author likes, of course, like Mad Eye), makes Harry into an incredibly powerful guy (apparently she does, I haven't read past the first few chapters, but half Dragon? And people like this pile of steaming turd?), creates a uber race of Vampires, makes all Wizards and Merlin look like fucking prejudiced bitches, and a lot, lot more.

This story shouldn't be as popular as it is. It really shouldn't. This, in my opinion, belongs in the "awesomely bad" HP fanfics thread. It's that bad. No, really, it is. If you would look at all the shit that's in this story all at once, you'll see it too. Now go, look.

I would rather read a graphic Harry/Draco smut fic written by a 12 year old fangirl than this.