1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. Lucius

Lucius Banned

So Martin asked his publisher if they wanted him to set TWOW aside and finish Fire and Blood 2 for the new TV show thats in development

Martin's such a fraud. He teases his fans and then doesn't deliver. Rinse and repeat every year. Those released TWOW chapters are probably the ones he cut from ADWD. The more I think about it the show actually bettered the books by removing so many uncessary things like Young Griff, Stoneheart, Darkstar, Mereen storyline, Victorian, Arianne, Quentyn, Doran, rapist Tyrion, reducing Sam and Briene story line. Basically the Dorne and Iron Island plot which came way too late. Turning the weirdo Euron into somewhat human. They just couldn't nail the ending which was Martins anyway. The more I think about AFFC and ADWD was a huge drag and poorly reviewed. He should just thank HBO for keeping him relevant, successful and finishing his books for him via show and expanding his series.

I actually don't think Martin is all that great a writer anyway. All his twists are like ha gotcha in your face stuff, shock value and all that. Honestly Joe Abercrombie is far better than him and actually subverts expectations in a way which makes you go wow.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  2. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Link for that @Lucius ? Quick google didn't turn up anything.

3. Lucius

Lucius Banned

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  4. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

5. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

No he didn't.

He put aside TWOW to work on F&B 1, which got published in 2018 and immediately went back to TWOW. The video you linked has George saying that in plain English, with dates.

"When it became clear that we were going to do the...House of the Dragon show...we wanted a book to go with that, and I already had the seeds of the book...I asked them 'Do you want me ignore the new show coming down the pipe or should I finish that book so you can get it out and then go back?" and they said 'Yeah, give us the new book that's closer to being done instead of two more books." So I TWOW aside for a while and I concentrated on Fire and Blood...I had to fill in the Reign of Jaeharys...and that came out in 2018, and then I switched immediately back to Winds of Winter."

6. Lucius

Lucius Banned

Well I didn't actually watch the video went off the post on reddit. Anyway there's been a long rumor on that sub f and b 2 will be the next book and not winds.

7. Lucius

Lucius Banned

Btw George actually has released a new book called The Rise of the Dragon which is just a rerelase of F and B with illustrations. Cashing on the show I guess.