1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

2. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was a dull end to a senseless season.

What angers me about the choices they made is that everything that could have meant something ended up meaning nothing. What did Varys die for? What was the point of Jaime's development as a person? What does it matter, really, that Rhaegar had a son? What was the point of Dorne?

And so much more.

To me, GoT season 8 will always be what the Deathly Hallows was in HP: A poor conclusion to a good story.

3. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Deathly Hallows was far from the disappointing wreck that is GoT 8.

4. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

This was the problem with almost all of Season 8, and some of seasons 6 and 7. (Jon's mission to the north for operation: Wight Capture being one of the more egregious examples).

The North is independent now because otherwise the ending triptych-style montage was Arya, Jon, and Sansa, and it wouldn't have made sense for Sansa to have that montage if she was just the Lady of Winterfell.

That's the core of why this season's felt so empty. We weren't watching a story anymore, where characters acted, we were watching producers and writers make things happen to characters.

I honestly don't have many strong feelings about the finale. S8 destroyed my investment in the show, so there wasn't much to get thrilled or upset about. Yeah, a ton of shit didn't make sense, but what else is new? There were some great visuals, and the opening of Tyrion walking through the burnt out King's Landing really drove home how fantastic an actor Dinklage is, and Sansa shutting down Edmure got a short chuckle, but like... a pretty big "meh" sums it up. There wasn't any other possible reaction, though, considering the path they'd taken to get there.

5. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But just imagine if GoT season 8 was also 80% boring, pointless camping.

6. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Watching Edmure pump up his resolve to suggest himself as king was the highlight of the episode. I forgot how comedic that actor could be with very little.

On a side note I was wrong, they were clearly just trying to rush through to the end because they've had enough of GoT and want to get started on their trilogy. I wonder if Disney will pull their trilogy like they did Rian's.

7. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  9. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    @ScottPress: That is my new favorite Game of Thrones meme. Spreading it far and wide.

EDIT: My own contribution to our meme collection:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  10. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I stand by the interpretation that Bran played everyone.

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Most likely. I mean, within the events presented in the show there was no reason for Jon to discover his parentage, which Bran insisted is important, other than to get him away from Dany and begin her downfall.

And he's probably not even done with his games. It appears that he let Sansa become a queen becomes he's a good brother, but maybe he's setting her up to fail just like he did Dany? Not to kill her, but rather to teach her a lesson without openly opposing her because it's not his style. Now he's just waiting for a moment when she will be back asking for his help.

12. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The memes are relentless, but not just for entertainment. They also reveal Truth:

[​IMG]

13. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Consume product then be excited for next product.

14. Hakairyu

Hakairyu Seventh Year

Yeah, even I don’t have anything good to say about this one.

15. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

It was... An ending. There were some good visuals, some funny lines and a whole lot of nonsense. The main highlight for me was totally calling Drogon melting the throne.

So question is, from the beginning of season 8, how would have you gone about ending it? Who would you have put on the Iron Throne and how?

16. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Adding fuel to the fire.

17. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

[​IMG]

18. Imperial

Imperial Second Year

D&D fell back-assward into what could have been a genuinely interesting story line:

Wizard-King Bran

After a season of sucking out loud, I'm actually invested in Bran's rule. Will he be an absentee King who lets Tyrion and friends rule while he wargs his way to an early grave? Is he, in fact, the manipulator who played the game to get the throne? Was he in cahoots with the Night King? Did the NK only become so aggressive after thousands of years of dormancy because the ancient bioweapon sensed the disturbance in the Force and marched South to kill the corruption as a relic of its old programming? By fighting against the Long Night, did Jon and friends break the generations-long stalemate that was the only thing keeping ancient abominations like NK and the Three-Eyed Raven deadlocked against each other?

Maybe if season 7 had been spent dealing with the Iron Throne/Cersei plot, season 8 could have started with the Long Night, only to kill off the Night King in episode 3. That would leave everyone in the audience scratching their heads as to what's going to be done for the rest of the season as Bran takes the throne and everything seems tied up in a tidy little bow.

Then people start dying off in minor rebellions or in freak accidents, and it slowly becomes clear that Bran is consolidating his power. The true enemy of mankind is Bran, and Jon's purpose was to defeat him. The Long Night is Bran's, and that is how Jon fulfills the prophecy of Azor Ahai.

Of course, now I am venturing too far into fanfiction territory, but you get my point, yeah? King Bran grabs me way more than Dragon Hitler Dany.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  19. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I support than fanfic on a spiritual level.

20. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I've got to say even if it was better written I probably still wouldn't be happy with it. I'd prefer a happier ending for the characters that I liked as opposed to Sansa and Bran. Maybe it's not what truly fits, but to quote Batman, sometimes people deserve to get their faith rewarded.