1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. hmmbot

hmmbot First Year

Is it just me or does this fic seem like it's ripping off Marco Polo? Thought it was some strange crossover or something.

2. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I read it to the end, so I'll give it some credit.

3. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I had the same thought. It's not even a subtle rip-off. Changing the blind priest's name from Hundred Eyes to No Eyes is one of the bigger deviations it makes.

4. psychobob35

psychobob35 Fourth Year

Yup. And the surgery scene in the first chapter was a blatant Rome ripoff, right down to some of the dialogue.

5. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

6. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Why doesn't asoiaf have a thread in the library?

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

8. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Firstly I meant a subforum, not a thread. I ask because this thread is too damn long and finding recommendations from it is a pain.

MLP has its own subform, why not asoiaf?

9. yak

I was replying to what you wrote, not what you thought you wrote.

I can't say definitively why MLP has a subforum, but it might be tied into an awesome April Fools prank from some years ago. The Ponyville DLP skin still exists in your settings. Never underestimate the effort that staff will go to for a joke.

You do raise a good point that an ASOIAF subforum might be worthwhile, but this isn't the right place to make it. A suggestion in the Site Support subforum would be better if you're serious about it.

If you want ASOIAF fanfiction recommendations that are worth reading, then use the tag system that I linked in the previous post. It does most of what a subforum does already. If an ASOIAF fic is good enough to be seriously recommended then it should have its own Library thread and will be tagged for easy discovery.

There is a problem where people are discussing fics here and not placing them in the Library. I'm looking at you, Everyone Who Read or Discussed Knees Falling.

This has become a bit of an "Almost Recommended Fics" dump thread, but so long as it generates Library threads when fics are or become good enough, then it isn't a big problem. We do need to be reminded to do so on occasion though. Knees Falling being a case in point.

10. fire

fire Order Member

11. yak

That is a lot of work for one person. It'd be far better for the posters' to submit good fics to the Library. That's what the entire Library system is for. It's centralises discussion for each fic and makes it easier for others to find.

This thread is supposed to be working as a communal discovery, discussion, and filter for ASOIAF fics that aren't in the Library yet. As soon as they become good enough (if you think it's 3/5 or better), then you, the members, need to create a Library thread for it.

That's how DLP works.

Some of you have never submitted a fic to the Library. This is a good opportunity to try it out. There's probably quite a few ASOIAF fics in this thread that deserve an entry in the Library. Pick one and submit it. Give it a go!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  12. yak

13. KGB

KGB Headmaster

There are a bunch of stories out there where Cersei and Jamie start fucking way before she marries Robert and there are never any consequences to it.

From what I remember being a maiden was a pretty big deal in canon. So are there any fics that use Cersei not being a virgin, or her and Jamie getting caught as a POD?

14. bobodoll131

bobodoll131 First Year

High Score:
    I remember reading a fic where Jon was caught in a time loop. Specifically, he kills Joffrey after Joffrey kills Arya at the Ruby Ford. Does anyone know the name?

15. Donimo

Donimo Auror

This is canon. Moon Tea is also a canon contraceptive.

16. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    How Does anyone Even Survive Here is an SI story by serpentguy on spacebattles. Only three chapters in (11k), but it's rather interesting so far. A different kind of SI than you'd usually see. More along the lines of how Hash wrote than anyone else on SB so far.

I linked the reader mode, spacebattles best invention yet that just shows the OP's story posts, so if you want to read the comments (and I don't know why you would), you have to click view in thread.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  17. KGB

KGB Headmaster

While that was a fun read and I can't wait to read more of it, it's not quite up to level of Hash's fic.

It's a bit early to tell tbh. If the author takes it down the usual route of SI stories, where their actions have no real repercussions it's going to turn to shit real fast. Or if, as the last chapter implied, the canon characters will adapt their plans and butterfly away the SI foreknowledge it could be at least a guilty pleasure

EDIT: Oh yea this is also written by the guy who did Dragons of Ice and Fire so probably going to be pretty decent.

18. yak

I find it difficult to empathise with the utterly sociopathic protagonist. I could identify with Dexter because he struggled with his nature and being a better person. If he was charming, like Patrick Bateman or Dr. Hannibal Lecter, then perhaps I'd be entertained nonetheless.

The protagonist is a boorish, unapologetic sociopath. He's uninteresting to read.

Despite several glaring opportunities for the protag to screw up and receive his comeuppance, everything has gone perfectly well so far. He should have been caught with the crossbow he stole from a businessman he murdered (who had adult sons and owned horses), or by someone in a crowd he didn't notice, or had a clean getaway stymied by another person he didn't account for.

Too much has gone too right too quickly. Don't even get me started on five hundred dragons.
    It's an arguably absurd fortune. There should be dozens of smallfolk trying to claim the reward and wasting Stark's time with gossip and suspicions. It could have been interesting to see how the protag dealt with the situation of being drowned out by all of the other people who also had "valuable information".

19. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    All fair points. That said, that things worked out so far hasn't really bugged me as of yet. it's still rather early and sometimes, things go well. If he gets a longer win-streak, then I will be concerned.

I agree with the first point, however. He isn't really much of a compelling character in and on itself, and I'm reading this not because I care about the character but I just want to see where it goes and it's kinda interesting as a concept and I haven't seen it done in this fandom before.

20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I don't think that fic should be considered a SI, given that it's not really a SI, the author himself says he based the protagonist off of something called "How to spot a sociopath" from some online wiki.

Really, he just wanted to write about someone with the foreknowledge from reading the books, but not himself because he might not be so blase about killing some of those people.

All in all, he's boring to read about. No conflict, no foresight about the near future, only self-interest and immediate self-appeasement. Also, for someone who's supposedly never killed or even dreamed/thought of killing anyone, he sure knows how to kill well. I'm not talking about his lack of hesitation, just that he's so efficient at killing.