1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So I recall someone ages ago kinda sorta recommending a Tyrion fic where he's not a dwarf. I didn't read it at the time, but recently the scenario interests me.

Are there any (readable) stories where Tyrion isn't a dwarf? I'd prefer it if he resembles Tyrion in more than name but I'll take what I can get to see the premise played out.

2. fire

fire Order Member

I think I know the fic you're talking about, though I can't find it atm - the problem iirc was that, as you say, it's Tyrion in name only. It was basically like those shitty Tywin-had-another-son OC/SI fics, except they put them in Tyrion's position.

3. Donimo

Donimo Auror

To work he'd need to be physically handicapped but not in such an obvious way I think. So he still isn't a warrior, and Tywin would still resent him for Joannas death. Daddy issues is too much a part of Tyrions character to do away with.

4. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Something like a clubfoot then? Or a withered arm. either would be sufficient, I imagine, for Tywin to have an issue with him, especially if he remains ugly.

5. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Tyrion "Willas Tyrell" Lannister. Have him get crippled in a tourney, giving Tywin another person to hate.

6. Dn18

Dn18 Third Year

Just checked this out. Thank you so much for the rec! This plugin looks amazing and is exactly what I was looking for. Going to give it a try today.

7. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Here is a funny drabble from AH. Although it might only be funny if your into SI stories:

We must build a canal

Here is another one. This one is just silly, but I honestly laughed out loud reading it.

All sigils day

8. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Back in February, Perfidious Albion started a collab story, about what would happen if Valyrian Freehold politics started an early look at Westeros. So they send a message for a small piece of land to the Stormlands. A maester reads it incorrectly as the Freehold coming to take Westeros, obviously massive war ensues and Westeros has a 100 years of Valyrian rule until The Doom.

The Sundering

It's more worldbuilding, but it's pretty great.

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

It's boring though. Terribly predictable and the narrative seems very, very forced at times.

Like how the whole of the southron forces got fucking obliterated by the Valyrians, yet the northern lords (for the most part) still want to go to war, as though they have a chance to survive or even win. So they go to war and are predictably exterminated. Not only that, but every major castle and keep in the North gets melted into slag as well. Oh and the Valyrians kill off the Others too because apparently they're inconvenient or something?

Also, the quality in writing goes up and down a lot (predictably down when anyone but PA is writing).

10. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think was meant to show that a few ruined everything (Marlon the Mad/the Stormlands.) The Valyrians wanted to suppress any fighting from the North -since they didn't want anything to do with poor land/ more rebellions- and the Others raised armies of the dead, and later they were worried about such a strong foe so they exterminated them. Also because yeah, an unorganised and weak Westeros would definitely lose to the released Others.

I think if it had just been a few authors it would've worked out better, one thing is that all Seven kingdoms situation is explored (surprisingly the North isn't explored all that much), the later drabbles aren't as interesting and I think it's lost a lot of steam even before it got to the doom, but there are a few gems and PA said they're not going to get rid of other people's work.

11. Blank402

Blank402 Second Year

12. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I enjoyed Knees Falling at first but lost interest over time, due to non nonsensical behavior mostly. I tried reading this chapter and I realized I've forgotten it.

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So ... did Stressed Muffin, the author of Lords of Winter, decide to take up a truly impressive regiment of heavy drugs? Is that what happened?

14. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Yeah not sure what the fuck is happening there but I'm certainly confused. Is this the ending? It isn't marked complete on FF.net though. It does seem like he's lost interest with some of the shitty content and time skips in in lately though.

Still, what a weird way to go. I can't really remember what exactly was happening in the latest chapters but it feels very out of nowhere.

15. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Yeah he kinda lost his passion for this fic ages ago. I'm just going to assume that the a version is the canon and be done with this fic.

16. thor2006

thor2006 First Year

Can I have a link,please?

17. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Enjoy. /snort

18. Blank402

Blank402 Second Year

Ties that Blind by bygone_daze

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I've been enjoying it and it's one of the few ASoIaF fics I follow that gets updated regularly. The focus so far has mostly been on the build up to the announcment of the royal betrothals which happened in the most recent chapter, so I'm interested in seeing where the story goes from here. There's some smut in there which I'm not a big fan of, but overall it's a decent read.

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Can't comment much on the story, as I only skimmed through it, but the author really should have avoided putting in those relationship tags if he actually wanted to give his readers some space to speculate about who would be betrothed to whom. Oh and apparently the smut is going to become more prominent in future chapters.

Another thing that bothered me is that Tywin joined in on Aerys' side when Rhaegar rebelled.

I get that he would have felt offended that Rhaegar chose to marry Lyanna (which was so convenient to happen due to Elia dying in giving birth to Aegon and Lyanna being conveniently available because the author handwaved her canon-wise betrothal to Robert Baratheon), but siding with Aerys? It's not just going against Tywin's character, which is to harbor and nurture grudges and slights for years and years, but it doesn't make sense given that the Riverlands, the Vale and the North fought against Aerys, while the Stormlands sat it all out, and with only the Reach as their allies.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  20. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone has recommendations from SB, SV, Altered History, or knows how to search there in simple way ?