1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Yea that is a AJNolte fic. So the writing is bearly readable. and the idea will get played out soon, so that everyone can proceed to the wall hand in hand singing Kumbaya, all previous motivations and character traits utterly forgotten.

Or you know it will be abandoned, after he once again realizes that there is no real way to railroad the plot into canon tracks with all the canals and muskets everyone has now.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've just reached the events of Kings Landing after the big battle between Loyalist and Rebels, and I gotta ask...why the fuck would you determine the path of your story by dice roll? It isn't even a quest. Strikes me as incredibly lazy story telling.

3. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Sometimes you get several good ideas without any one of them being dear to your heart and can't decide which one it should be. So flipping a coin or a dice etc works.

There is also the fact that some people comes to writing fanfic because they have FRP background so there is carry over.

4. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Except the author just did it to pick a list of who lived and who died. It wasn't a coin flip between two plot paths, it was RNGesus deciding the political landscape for the rest of the story.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It was fun at places but I think it is the type of story you only read once and don't really keep up with the updates, although it is just as likely that it will sizzle out in a few chapters as most stories such as this do.

6. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I quite enjoyed that fic when I started reading but, but as you said I've lost interest and don't bother with the updates.

7. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

That was just a fix it fic; what are it's redeeming qualities? No conflict from what I can tell, just people being wowed by the protagonist

8. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Ran out of good, dark!Harry fics to read. So, I started serpentguy's Dragons of Ice and Fire. It can get a bit repetitive, but I really liked Bran's POV, and to a lesser extent, Jon's. The rest, I haven't been able to care as much for. Then again, I've only read the first 10 or so chapters, and a few extra Bran ones.

I'll probably crawl through this thread at some point, but before I do, I thought I'd ask if anyone knew of any stories exploring warg powers? Or Arya doing assassin stuff? Preferably no more than 5 POVs, but if it's really good, I'll read it. If that helps, I have an almost irrational dislike of Dany and Sam.

Thanks!

9. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

That interaction was so hamfisted it ruined everything else for me. It didn't even have to have a different end result. Just a little progression beyond Ned walking into Brandon's room and finding a cunt of biblical proportions.

For that matter, I had a hard time believing that Ned didn't go see his brother first. His entire character is focused almost solely on his family and his honor. He out Tullys the Tullys. For a war that was fought because of what happened to Brandon and Rikard, it just doesn't make sense.

10. Raybomber

Raybomber Squib

Ned Stark is less Stark and more Arryn. Pretty much an anomaly amongst Starks, we need more fics that explore First Men Culture.

11. pbluekan

We don't even know that, really. So it's impossible to say. We know Brandon was a brash ladies man, and Lyanna was some vague combination of Arya and Sansa.

We don't know anything about Rikard beyond "southern ambitions" and we have no idea how the Starks ever really act. I can actually believe they're as honorable as Ned was. It's mentioned that the Starks are honorable almost as much as we hear about the Arryns.

The only stories we hear are hundreds of thousands of years old by this point.

12. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Don't be crazy, we need a cool Ned who's independent. He'll hang out with the Boltons and ignore honor, he won't be good or bad, he'll be a Greystark!

13. pbluekan

Speaking of, that was always one of the biggest inconsistencies. Why kill off the greystarks and not the Boltons? I mean, I know Martin needed a secondary villain with a backstory, but....

14. Paladin

Paladin Defender of the Faith

High Score:
    Because the betrayal of the Greystarks is utterly worse than that of the Boltons. The Boltons were vassals rebelling against their lord. There are real life historical examples of Kings choosing to not root out the entire house, root and stem, for such a rebellion, because they'd need that family's strength in the war against England/France/that other Elector of the Holy Roman Empire. But the Greystarks? That's family, a cadet branch, rebelling against the house that let them flourish. I sure as shit wouldn't tolerate that kind of betrayal.

15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Any good stories about Sothoryos or Ulthos? Or perhaps the Shadow Lands? Basically, as far to the east as possible.

16. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
  17. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Enjoyable is a bit of a stretch. It's not utter shit, unless you're Odran. When Jon got his you-know-what and started chumming it up in Essos, I lost what little interest I had.

18. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    I found that fic to be quite frustrating. It has a lot of great minute long flashbacks that are glossed over in favour of pushing forth the generic fix it fic plot line. It would be better suited as a series of short stories. I'd much rather the storyline focus on Jon changing his journeys on each successive life, than an overall fix everything. The story delegates its greatest strength to background details. I quickly became frustrated and opted out. Does the current "life" story get better? I think I was up to Jon spending time with the Night's Watch and getting frustrated at the inflated emotion between him and Ned.

19. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    I can't recall Jon spending any time at the Wall beyond passing through it, and that was towards the start of the story. I think he's in Essos as of the latest chapters.

20. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

The story isn't bad, per say.... But nothing happens. Nothing truly noteworthy, except pure "fix-itness".

Tomato, you suck. Can't even remember details of a story you like. Jon went with Ned to treat with the wildlings. He and Robb slept at Castle Black, trained with some of the watch, etc., etc.