1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Redeye Reprisal

Redeye Reprisal Squib

I remember a 'Ned Stark lives' trilogy existing as well, though I never gave it the time of day due to the absurd length. Was that any good?

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sean Bean saves Westeros is weird. Writing fanfiction about real, living people is already bizarre and kinda wrong enough but the premise that Sean Bean saves Westeros is just...hard to take serious. I read the first story just out of bewildered curiosity but yeah, can't recommend it at all.

3. Mordr4d

Mordr4d Second Year

High Score:
    Are there actually any good SI fics out there in this fandom? All of them seem to have that fix-it or uplift westeros or a hard on for the Starks garbage thing going on.

If I have to read another fic about someone inventing the printing press and building canals... I swear to god...

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/wearing-roberts-crown-asoiaf-si.382035/

This is the only one I'm aware of. SI gets stuck into Bobby boy right at the end of the rebellion or thereabouts, and proceeds to make waves. There's no tech uplift or anything, just the SI being a medieval king while subtly preparing for the White Walkers. I stopped reading shortly after the Walkers invaded, I don't remember why (think I just got distracted and never came back), but it was pretty good up to that point.

5. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Hasn't been updated since 12/2016

6. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

There was actually an entertaining one where some neckbeard ends up in the body of Lyanna Stark after she gives birth to Jon. It didn’t really get far enough to do any sort of uplift, but what what was there was fairly entertaining. (Some stuff about the old gods) It also dove headfirst into the idea that Lyanna was not a willing bride, which was more than a little horrifying, but plausible and unique.

Fics where Lyanna survived Jon’s birth and don’t involve Rheagar living are a bit of a rarity.

Sadly, I can’t recall the name of it.

7. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

It's not an atrocious fic. It's decently written enough, but I actually find the flashback sometime jarring. I think the execution could've been done better. Nonetheless, it's a guilty pleasure at best: it's a Stark-wank/fix-it fic.

Jon was given a dragon egg by Rhaegar before he was born and hatch it by putting it in the fire...and that's pretty much it. Apparently the link with the dragon was done in infancy (when the egg was given to the newborn babe) and from there on it's easy peasy to hatch one...as if none of the Targ had ever tried that before. Oh, and Aegon was given one as well and hatch it within a month or two of discovering it...by putting it in the fire.

Those are my biggest pet peeve about this whole thing.

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Yeah, it's not a bad story. I'm about 15 chapters in and I haven't across anything that would make me drop it. The egg thing doesn't bother me too much, though mostly because guess I'm used to HP where Hagrid hatches a dragon egg in the fire to simulate the mother's breath. I don't even think it's that bad of idea outside of the fact that you are right, and the Targs would have tried that dozens of times. Pretty sure they've even tried it with wildfire, so a room hearth shouldn't be anywhere near hot enough.

9. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

The only self insert story I've enjoyed is The Bastard of Highgarden.

10. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I liked it, I just think it could have been a bit more tightly plotted. The elements of the arc were cool, and the character development was well done, I just think that it dragged a bit in places.

11. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

As of this most recent chapter I feel up to recommending this, basically, Joffery's got a younger brother and this is following him through the War of the Five Kings. Major ripples include, Tywin doesn't join the main host so, no red wedding, Sansa is sent to the war front as a hostage etc. Its pretty decent thus far.

Robb Stark has sort of met his match, and honestly I'm just loving this. Go ahead and check it out. The character is pretty great too, Damon, is pretty conflicted, he knows for a fact he and his siblings are bastards, and has for a while. He knows Ned dying was bad, and that Robb's cause is justified, but he still fights for the sake of his family. No matter how much of assholes they are.

His justifications and internal conflicts are pretty great. It really makes his character.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  12. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Kerjack’s Targaryen story was pretty decent for a while so Ima give this a try. Thx for the rec, I’m pretty low on readfood.

13. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'd put the descriptors in spoiler tags personally. That aside, I'm 16 chapters deep and actually enjoying it.

14. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

It reads like a self-insert, albeit one without any sort of foreknowledge of the world and the events that will play out. I dislike it. But maybe that's just my inherent bias showing, against anything that favors Lannisters, which is what this fanfic is more or less about.

15. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This is practically glowing praise. I’ll have to take a look.

16. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

I am in the first few chapters and it's basically your generic OC. Odran is not wrong about it feeling like a SI who just has no foreknowledge.

The general like here for these hollow OC/SI characters/storys really baffles me. All this stuff would be burned in the review section, here everything from guilty pleasure to my immortal is posted. :3

This clashes with my perception how DLP generally reviews storys. In this thread it looks like everyone is like: "better than nothing!".

17. KGB

KGB Headmaster

That's exactly what it is. If it doesn't physically burn your eyeballs out of their sockets it's been posted here.

ASOIAF is a sparse fandom. Add to that the complicated and rather intricate plot and the general trend towards word vomit that all of fanfiction experiences. Which forces fics into rehashing. And you are left with slim pickings.

18. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

For this particular section of fanfiction, I'm just excited when they spell all of the characters names properly, to be honest. If Sansa and Sandor aren't madly in love, or Sansa and Jon, or Sansa and Aegon, or Dany and Jon, or Marge and Robb, or Arya and Gendry, then is it really fanfiction?

Honestly, I enjoy the books enough that even slightly poor takes on it are worth skimming through to scratch at the gnawing void that has become waiting for the last books. Hell, some of these fanfic stories even have endings! DLP has many faces, and a couple oddly specific rules like don't argue magic with Taure because he'll throw the book at you, and keep Vash away from kids. Those are just a couple examples though. You'll figure it out eventually.

19. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Well mate, my reply to this is, that's Library and this is Almost Recommended. I love ASOIAF and I can't ever find any actually good shit in the fandom. So when I find a fic that has technical correct writing, isn't a mess of just ships, and has the protagonist not get curb stomped for the sake of trying to make it appear like ASOIAF, then shit man sign me up, I'll read it.

Anyway, in the quests vein, Droman, just finished his Dragonborn thing, and is starting the divergence quests up back up starting with this one.

20. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

When something is up for review it is scrutinized for all the things that you're probably thinking of. This isn't the review board. It's just a place where the crap is sorted though to find something half-way readable to pass the time until something actually good comes along. Since the vast majority of ASoFaI fic is SI/OC/Rom then that is what we have to sort though. It doesn't leave much. So we wind up pointing at the stories that least offends us.

It is what it is.