1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Pretty much this.

2. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

I've been keeping tabs on this one, and it's actually pretty good as SIs go. The protagonist isn't omniscient. He starts off right after Petyr's duel with Brandon so his reputation is shit. In addition to the planned changes to canon, there are butterflies that the MC doesn't see coming or plan for. He's not a hot-shit warrior, a king or high lord, or even wealthy for a noble. He pulls off a few neat tricks and gets a couple cool victories, but he's the MC of a fanfic, so that's not anything to hold against him.

3. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Isn't it the one where he modernize Westeros? He invents some new way to forge, also creates the King's Army and send them to fight off White Walkers or something like that?

4. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Uh, no. That's probably one of the King Robert or Joffrey SIs.

5. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

6. rob14

rob14 Squib

Title:Robert's Rebellion: Writ in Blood
    Author:zzbkit4
    Rating:M
    Genre:
    Pairings:None thus far
    Summary:
    "I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood."
    A Feast for Crows, Chapter 11
    Robert Baratheon died quickly--his rebellion, less so. The scattered army of the Trident knows better than bend a knee and pray for a dragon's mercy. And so begins the fight for scraps between the royalists and the rebels...

Link:
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/12050325/chapters/27286422

One of the best fics i have seen thus far,it really respects the characters traits while getting their voices right,
    you can tell tha author has dug deep into the books or red enough ASOIAF meta to make things work.
    Thus far we are switching between several POV characters including the Martell Brothers, Catelyn,Renly,Elia at Kings Landing,Benjen and in the future possibly Lyanna.

7. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Alright, so Snowfall has been updating recently. (Latest chapter)

The fic as a whole is surprisingly good from a quality standpoint, but I’m just getting bored with it.

The twists and conflicts are repetitive, Jon’s actions are unimaginative and predictable, and his character hasn’t grown or developed at all. Every single mistake he has made he continues to make, over and over and over. Every single conflict or event in the plot has the same formula: Jon realizes something, Jon goes to talk to Ned, Jon babbles about shit like an idiot, Ned tells him to fuck off, Jon does something that is fucking stupid.

8. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I just binged through Purple Days and man it's been a ride. The story gets groundhogs days' appeals, and (with the exception of the slow winded Yi Ti Arc) has been a real treat in terms of character development and payoffs. Like, shit, this last arc had me pumped to see Joffrey being awesome.

Fucking Joffrey.

Anyway,
    the story does have it's downsides of course. The aforementioned Yi Ti Arc is entirely skippable (TLDR, he becomes an army guy and gets PTSD). Some of Joffrey's payoffs are way too over the top, there's far too much screaming for my tastes (especially in the chapters with battles going full Capslock).

On the other hand: Sweet, sweet character development. Letting your MC fail. Character development! Understanding Stakes. Adventures! Exploration! (RIP: The Dream That Was Ours is The Furious Grinding of Teeth). Did I mention CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT?

So yeah, I liked it in general. Easily 3/5 stuff, possible even 4/5 if the author ever shortens the Yi Ti arc.

9. bonnerr2

bonnerr2 Second Year

https://archiveofourown.org/works/12389136/chapters/28187565

I’ve been reading Guileless Son over on AO3 and it’s pretty solid. Technically well written and believable characters.

The story begins with the start of civil unrest in the country. Wildlings threaten from the North, which causes Robert to call his banners to go and provide support, spurning Stannis who has also requested support to protect his territory in Essos. Rhaegar has accused Elia of adultery and imprisoned her, causing Dorne to stir.

Story hinges on quite a few divergences that may be dealbreakers to some (I cheated: skipped ahead a few chapters to see if it was worth my time, got engrossed, and started again from the beginning) -

Lyanna lives but was for an undisclosed reason dismissed by Rhaegar. Marries Robert and becomes Lady of Storm’s End, but becomes very scornful of her former lover.

Robert’s Rebellion never happens. Rhaegar is an asshole. Aerys was semi-competent, leading an unsustainable invasion into Essos that the story touches on heavily through Stannis and a host of other second sons of Westoros.

Jon Snow (The Guileless Son) is Jon Baratheon, but seems to have been clued onto his true heritage by Lyanna and (maybe) Robert.

10. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/forums/other-fandoms-review-board.90/

c'mon dude, put it in For Review.

This is the year of the brave little toaster.

11. invinoveri

invinoveri Third Year

I thought the characterizations were good although Rhaegar's is confusing. Lyanna's characterization is noteworthy. I did find myself skipping through it. It's a cool setup Rhaegar is king, Robert and Lyanna alive. The writing isn't bad but the story is boring.
    It suffers from having something like 20 POVs and a pointless plot (so far) after 100,000 words.

12. bonnerr2

bonnerr2 Second Year

I’d say that’s fair. The story could use a good bit of editing, and it also never really explains the divergence in Rhaegar’s character.

The author also has another decent time waster set pre-Robert’s Rebellion. Same great grasp on characterization and solid writing, but also same meandering and slow cooking plot development. https://archiveofourown.org/works/12214056/chapters/27740970

13. sollol

sollol Second Year

"A Wolf Amongst Lions" is a story I have been following for a few weeks now. I have to say that it is possibly the best ASOIAF fic that is being updated regularly right now.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/15494880?view_full_work=true

"Summary:
    Tywin Lannister discovers the true identity of his cup bearer at Harrenhal. Now, with another bargaining chip in his possession, he has a chance to turn the war. Arya Stark, despite her best efforts, falls back into the Game of Thrones. To survive in a lion's den, a wolf has no choice but to adapt."

Arya is forced to live in King's Landing as a ward of the throne. One of the main features and the main strength of the story is the relationship Arya has with the various members of the Lannister family. Especially the scenes that have both Twyin and Arya are really well written.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  14. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Put it to review. It is certainly worth a spot in the library. I couldn't stop reading. Arya is a little too perfect, but the rest of the characterizations are great.

15. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I agree, it's a solid rec. Thanks!

I went ahead and posted it on the "Other's Board"

16. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can people recc some Daenerys centric AU stories?

17. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

A Wolf amongst Lions is pretty good so far. Just finished chapter 7, and it's good enough to keep you entranced and wanting more. That's very rare with ASOIAF stories. The only real issue I have so far is the reasoning that Arya is brought to KL. There is reasoning in story, not even terrible reasoning honestly, but not really good enough to cover the fact that they literally still have Sansa down as a prisoner in KL. Tywin trying to justify swapping them seems a bit OOC. But, it is a means to an end, to get Arya where the author needs her to be, so it's just a minor blip.

18. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  19. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    Another SI fic, albeit one where so far none of the chapters are from the SI's perspective.

Born a bastard due to unfortunate timing, Benedict is the son of two clashing houses during the end of Aerys' reign and the beginning of the Rebellion. So far there's none of the usual SI Uplift or changes and by the look of the story I highly doubt that there will be printing press/agriculture upheavals in the near future. The chapters are somewhat short and jumps to important events during his life rather than the day to day - month to month style that most authors go with, but they're well written and informative.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-bastard-of-blackwood-vale-si.460847/

20. GravityAP

GravityAP First Year

@Download I came across this one recently https://archiveofourown.org/works/12158934/chapters/27593052 its an interesting AU, that will likely diverge even more as time goes on seeing as the story hasn't reached the point where canon starts yet, centered around Jon and Daenerys starting with them as children. The pacing is a bit slow and its a somewhat fluffy right now but the writing is good, they make good use of the retarded amount of world building GRRM has done, I enjoy the characterizations of most of the characters as well as the character development of Jon and Daenerys, and I think the story has promise to be an epic when it gets to the main plot, plus it will likely still be finished before aDoS.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019