1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is it the one where all the ducks sort themselves in a row for Jon later push?
    Where Robert unknowingly does everything to empower Jon?
    While secretly everyone want the return of the Tagaryan and Marry Jon to his aunt?
    It is like no one in Westeros has a clue why Incests is a poor way to go.
    I never the all Dany/Jon shit or why Dany should be a queen, same for Jon.
    Maybe it is because I never bothered with the show.

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll take a look when I have some time.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Jon/Daenerys isn't my liking very much though. I personally find the fandom's liking to it to be disgusting.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What? What's wrong with a little aunt/nephew luv?

4. GravityAP

GravityAP First Year

I completely agree @Download its up there with people pairing jon/sansa for me, like come on. Its rather annoying it will likely become book canon, I can still hold out for fAegon killing her in a second dance for a couple for years though. The morality of the relationship I don't really have a problem with in the context of Westerosi customs, marrying an aunt or cousin is not really a big deal even for people who aren't Valyrian. Its more that I generally dislike her character. This story gets me past that.

I think I heard about a crack fic that goes like that, Robert marrying the two of them is similar but I don't see it being a walk in the park by any means if the story ends up going in that direction. @Methos

5. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Incest only really creeps me out when someone grows up seeing that person as their family member. I can't read stories where Jon Snow grows up knowing that Daenerys is his aunt but still forms a romantic relationship with her.

That's why I can't stand Jon/Sansa but I'm fine with Daenarys.

6. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read the fic @Download mentioned up to chapter 17.

Not sure what to think, it is a guilty pleasure at best.
    Some characters characters is diminished

1) Ned is dumber than canon, and the author follow the crap of Honorable Ned to the bitter end and clueless as well.
    2) Catelyn is more cruel to Jon
    3) Benjen appears to be useless.
    4) Robert is more cruel and dumb

My biggest problem with the fic, is Ned
    His decisions and reasons for them.
    Ned wasn't that stupid in canon.

At least Stannis gets to shine.

Further the author lacks some understanding of how lords and kings conduct themselves Ned was too much spinless in the early chapters when Robert shamed him.

Oberyn should have being gutted.

7. Donimo

Donimo Auror

By that logic Jon/Sansa shouldn't be a problem since they didn't really grow up as siblings. Jon/Arya though...

8. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

They have been raised from birth as half-brother and sister. While Sansa was perhaps not as close to Jon as her other siblings, there is little doubt that they regard each other as brother and sister (even if Jon is a bastard).
    I'd make the argument that Theon/Sansa would be acceptable, as he was a hostage after the Greyjoy Rebellion. But Jon/Sansa? No way.

9. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

Yes they did. Just because he was closer to Arya doesn’t mean he doesn’t think of Sansa as his (half)-sister. Sansa is family and he grew up thinking and believing as such.

10. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

That's absolutely idiotic.

11. Donimo

Donimo Auror

That was my point.

12. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

My post made sense. Yours did not. I'm not sure how you conclude that you made a "point" with it.

Jon and Sansa were raised as half-siblings. From the moment they understood what it meant, Jon was under the assumption that Sansa was his half sister. It did not matter if they liked each other. It did not matter if Sansa considered Jon a true brother. What mattered is that they understood their relation to one another and grew up understanding it.

Why am I fine with it one way and not the other? Because I can't empathize with a character that suddenly gets romantic feelings for a family member. It hasn't happened to me, and just the idea of it happening to me, makes me shiver, and it simply creeps me out.

I don't think romantic feelings can override a familial relationship, and I don't think a familial relationship can override romantic feelings. Once one or the other is established, it's hard to change it. In my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  13. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Dragon’s in Winter by Rhiawriter
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/15908784/chapters/37082553

In this story at some point in book one Aemon sent Daenarys a letter. When Dany flees Meereen on the back of Drogon she decides to fly to the Wall to meet her last living relative. She spends time at the Wall, it makes things difficult for Jon etc. It’s a Jon/Dany of course. So far no one knows Jon’s true heritage, but certain characters begin to question eventually. It’s pretty good, well written and the attempts at politics aren’t too bad.

14. Kail420

Kail420 Muggle

High Score:
    Just read the latest chapter, this is turning out to be quite good.

15. Barzûl

I like this one quite a lot. Read it all in one go (about 70k right now) and I enjoyed it. There hasn't really happened anything very memorable yet, but it's a nice fic with Jaime at the wall.

I read a few chapters, but the SI is just so unlikable. He has no voice, he's just a "witty", obnoxious boy.
    Even when they wanted to take revenge for his father and he was like "no thanks, that's not becoming of a knight", it sounded so flat like he was talking about the weather.
    Does this change? Read to chapter 5.

Nice fic, on my favourites list for now. Daenerys seems like a strong woman with a glimmer of that Targaeryen madness in her.
    Jon is very melancolic but it doesn't hinder the story at all. At its current pace it also seems like the story will actually be finished.
    There are some ripple effects due to their relationship, but they will probably be more notable once
    the invasion is taking place for good.

16. bonnerr2

bonnerr2 Second Year

Just got totally caught up on this, and this is a damn good fic. Jaime is captured almost perfectly here by the author, and I didn’t notice the gradual changes to his character until we seen another POV from a southern visitor. Check it out if you haven’t yet.

17. Kail420

Kail420 Muggle

High Score:
  18. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

For fucks' sake.

Could we get Doctor Strange up in here and see if there's a future where we can have a story where Jaime doesn't lose his hand in some fucking contrived way? You don't even NEED IT in this fic, he's not at all the cunt he needs to be for this to be necessary.

Pity, because I love the story otherwise.

19. Blinker

Blinker Seventh Year DLP Supporter

My hope is April fool's

(edit bet to hope)

20. Barzûl

I sure hope so, but I doubt it tbh.
    If it is not edited out,
    it seems unnecessary to the story and will leave Jamie quite hampered and likely to die realistically