1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire (the Books)

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Ched, May 16, 2011.

1. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

So... this is a thing...

2. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

3. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Well, the post itself says that it's the list is intended for people that have read it once before.

So, I'd say just read it normally.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

5. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

His explanation (which I have deliberately not read) for why he recommends that particular order is what is intended for people who have read it, as the explanation contains spoilers.

The reading order itself is intended for new (and old) readers.

6. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Go with the one Yak linked, I think it is a fine risk to take. I liked reading Feast and Dance separately, but there are a lot of people who didn't like that.

7. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

So only six days until the U.S. paperback version of 'A Dance with Dragons' is released. Which is supposed to have a new chapter from 'The Winds of Winter', and is confirmed as NOT being the Theon chapter posted on GRRM's site at the end of 2011.

I've been scouring the web, but have yet to find anything conclusive regarding the sample chapter's POV. Has anyone heard anything?

8. Ash

It's Barristan I, which we have a summary of from a reading already, and which this episode of my podcast covers in detail: The Battle of Fire. Suffice it to say, I am disappointed.

9. Voice of the Nephilim

That is disappointing (And I had listened to that podcast :) ). I was holding out hope for the Aeron chapter, which seems to be the only complete chapter left that Martin seems to be willing to part with before publication (to date, anyway).

Ash
  10. Ash

Yeah, I was hopeful that it would be Aeron as well. At least we get the actual speech and whatnot.

11. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Query: Let's say Aerys gets his wish and sets off all the wildfire in King's Landing as Tywin Lannister and his troops are sacking it. The Lannister army dies, Tywin's dead, Jaime's dead, the Targaryens are all dead (except for Daenrys and Viserys at Dragonstone I guess) and Eddard Stark arrives to King's Landing to see 500,000 dead and a burned out city.

What happens now?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  12. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They find Aerys reborn as a dragon. Obviously.

13. Voice of the Nephilim

Westeros' unofficial 'capital' moved to Storm's End, from which Robert rules?

14. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Robert marries a Tyrell, Cersei is married to whomever desires Casterly Rock. Tyrion loses most of his status but is alot happier than in canon.

My guess.

15. Ash

Necro-ing to remind everyone that Dangerous Women, featuring The Princess and the Queen novella, is out now! You can buy the Kindle edition and read it right now.

I've already finished it, very good.

16. fire

fire Order Member

Yep, The Princess and the Queen is great - an informative snippet on Westerosi history, with awesome going-ons shown.

On a side-note: TP&TQ goes against the traditional rule of writing fiction - Show, Don't Tell. The story is framed as a historical treatise, written by an Archmaester of Oldtown, on the Dance of the Dragons. I think it works well enough, given the context.

We as the readers know enough about the world of ASOIAF, and more importantly, are already interested and emotionally invested in the story. GRRM doesn't really need to draw us into his world (which would require more meticulous characterization via Showing, Not Telling).

In fact, I think it works especially well in fulfilling its purpose - which is painting a broad picture of events. Given the word contraints of a novella, GRRM can't afford to use his favoured, character-based story telling - there just aren't enough words to do so, especially if the whole point of the novella is to tell us more about this historical civil war - you just can't grasp the nature of the whole event as a single POV character.

17. cash0maker

cash0maker Third Year

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  18. Voice of the Nephilim

19. Ash

History of Westeros put out an episode on the new Mercy chapter, check it out on our website, I made a pretty nifty animation for it. A lot of very interesting things in this chapter.

It's also on iTunes!

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk